Having the power go out in your home can be a nuisance. Here at We Buy Any House, we have compiled our top tips on what to do…
Check with Your Neighbour:
The first thing to do is check with your neighbour. This is a good thing to do as it will help you know your next move and see where you need to go in order to correct the issue and if the problem with the power outage is widespread or just an issue with your property. If your neighbour seems to have lost power too, then the issue will probably lie with the power provider and not just the electrical systems in your home. If this is the case, then the next step is to inform your power company and wait to see their advice and how they are going to address the issue.
Another good piece of advice is quite simple- just take a look outside! An easy way to tell if there has actually been a power cut is to see if the streetlights outside are on. If this is the case, then you may need to just reset the fuse box to ensure the electricity comes back on and your electricity is back up and running.
What Do I Leave On and Switch Off?
Throughout a power cut, it can sometimes be difficult to know what exactly to leave on and turn off. Most people are concerned about causing further and more difficult issues for their electrical company to deal with. However, there are a few things you can leave on and switch to make your property easier to get back up and running. Here are a few points of advice:
- You should turn off all appliances in the home, while they shouldn’t be left unattended either.
- A good idea is to leave perhaps a light on, as this way you can know when your power has been fixed for the property.
- If your power goes during the winter months, it’s important to layer up and wear lots of clothes as its ideal to preserve body heat for the time you are without heating.
- Check if your family and neighbours are safe- and if they have a power cut also.
Stay Safely Lit:
While you may not have access to your electrical lights in the home, you should still ensure that you try to stay safely lit throughout this period of time. However, it’s a good idea to not get inspired by films and begin lighting candles- as this can be really dangerous. A better alternative is to use flashlights or trusty torches. However, if you have no other choice but to use candles, then keep these things in mind:
- Keep any flames away from carpets.
- Make sure candles are out of reach from small children and animals.
- Ensure that your candles are being balanced on a sturdy surface.
This article was written by a quick house sale company We Buy Any House. If you’re wondering “how can I sell my house fast?” or “how can I get someone to buy my house?”, head to the We Buy Any House website for more information relating to all property related enquiries.
Knetizen is the Best Netizen News Blog 2022