An acronym or abbreviation is a shortened version of a word or a phrase. It may refer to the overall collection of characters or words extracted from a phrase or sentence. Several terms are abbreviated, and learning the full forms of such words is needed.
Abbreviations are widely used in daily life, and they save both work and time. We don’t understand the full forms of such terms. To better understand the process in any field, it is necessary to know the full form of the abbreviations. The full form list of several acronyms can be found below.
List of full forms
We use various abbreviated forms in our everyday lives, including science, chemistry, physics, mathematics, biology, education, banking and technology. Many words that do not fit into any of the above categories will be grouped as general full forms.
● Chemistry full forms
Chemistry is a branch of science concerned with the analysis of matter and its constituents. It also explores the characteristics of these substances and their reactions to the formation of new substances. Some chemistry-related abbreviated terms and their full forms are listed below.
- DCM – Dichloromethane
- DMA – Dimethylacetamide
- DMF – Dimethylformamide
- EDTA – Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid
- MOM – Methoxymethyl
- PCC – Pyridinium chlorochromate
- THF – Tetrahydrofuran
- TMS – Tetramethylsilane
- TCA – Trichloroacetic acid
● Physics full forms
Physics is a branch of science that explores energy and matter as their primary subjects. Discoveries in physics have a wide range of uses in the natural sciences and engineering. Some physics-related abbreviated terms and their full forms are listed below.
- AC – Alternative current
- DC – Direct current
- RADAR – Radio detection And Ranging
- AC – Air Conditioner
- ATM – Automated Teller Machine
● Mathematics full forms
One of the most important subjects in mathematics. Mathematics is a subject that deals with numbers, shapes, data, calculations, and logic. It has a wide range of applications in fields as diverse as medicine, engineering, banking, natural science, and economics. Abbreviated terms used in mathematics are,
- ad – adjoint representation
- A.M. – Arithmetic Mean
- A.P. – Arithmetic Progression
- c.c. – Complex Conjugate
- CLT – Central Limit Theorem
- FOC – First Order Condition
- G.P. – Geometric Progression
● Biology full forms
Biology is the natural science that describes living organisms’ origins, morphology, anatomy, metabolism, activity, and reproduction.
- ATP – Adenosine triphosphate
- DDT – Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane
- FAD – flavin adenine dinucleotide
- NADH – Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide
- ICSI – Intracytoplasmic sperm injection
- HIV – Human Immunodeficiency Viruses
- DAP – Diamine phosphate
● Technology full forms
In the computer and technology fields, abbreviations are commonly used. Many terms in technology are written in abbreviated form. Technology has progressed to the point that our everyday lives are dependent on devices that are designed using new tech.
- AI – Artificial Intelligence
- WWW – World Wide Web
- CCTV – Closed Circuit Television
- ICU – Intensive Care Unit
- GPRS _ General Packet Radio Service
- DSLR – Digital Single Lens Reflex
● Banking sector
Banking is a field that deals with financial transactions such as cash, credit, and so on. Banks offer a safe place to store extra credit and cash, as well as bank deposits, savings accounts, and other services. Some abbreviated terms related to the banking sector are
- HDFC – Housing Development Finance Corporation
- ICICI – Credit and Investment Corporation of India
- PAN – Permanent Account Number
- USO – United Commercial Bank
- RTGS – Real-Time Gross Settlement
- NRI – Indian Rupee
- ADB – Asian Development Bank
● General full forms
Many acronyms don’t fit into any of the mentioned categories but are still considered full forms. The following are some general full forms listed below.
- NCR – National Capital Region
- SHO – Station House Officer
- ASAP – As Soon As Possible
- SIT – Special Investigation Team
People may not be aware of the full form of terms because of the everyday use of abbreviations. Individuals must be familiar with the full form of short terms or abbreviations to understand their significance.