Dental health is crucial for your child’s overall well-being. To ensure that your child’s dental development is on track and progressing without issues, parents should take their little ones to regular dental appointments. One of the things that your pediatric dentist will recommend during these routine visitations will be an orthodontic evaluation.
Typically, pediatric dentists refer for an orthodontic evaluation around the age of 7, as recommended by the American Association of Orthodontists (AOO). At this age, children will have a mixed dentition, where they will have some milk teeth and some newly erupted permanent teeth, which allows the orthodontist to diagnose issues if any, and recommend the right treatment at the appropriate time. Early intervention for young patients with orthodontic concerns will help with their jaw growth, guide their permanent teeth into a favorable position, improve oral habits, reduce the risk of trauma to the protruded front teeth and improve the overall appearance and self-esteem of the growing children. Missing this early window could lead to corrective surgeries and expensive orthodontic treatments later in life.
All children don’t need early orthodontic intervention. Even so, getting an orthodontic evaluation is a must. If your pediatric dentist has recommended an orthodontic evaluation, it is time to choose an orthodontist for your child.
Here is how you can find the best orthodontist in Dubai for your child’s first orthodontic visit-
Who is an orthodontist?
An orthodontist is a specialist who completes advanced studies in orthodontics and provides orthodontic treatments (improving the alignment of jaws and teeth) and dentofacial orthopedics (guiding jaw and facial development). They graduate from dental school and additionally do a 3-year orthodontic residency program. Orthodontists help adults, teenagers and children achieve healthy, straight, aligned, and well-spaced teeth and thereby, a beautiful smile.
With that said, let us see how you can find an orthodontist near you for your child’s first orthodontic visit.
- Take recommendations. Your pediatric dentist is one of the first persons you should rely on for a good referral to the best orthodontist in Dubai for your child. Your kid’s pediatric dentist will know your little one’s dental history to date and will be the best person to give a reference to the right specialist for an orthodontic evaluation. You can also check with your family and friends who may also be able to direct you to a good orthodontist in Dubai.
- Rely on the right resources. You can also do a quick search on your local pediatric dental clinic’s website to see if they have an orthodontist to take your child for an evaluation.
- Understand the credentials of your orthodontist. A good orthodontist will have enough education and clinical experience to expertly design treatments, time them, supervise and work well with their young patients to achieve desirable results. As orthodontists have received speciality education and training in correcting jaw and facial skeletal issues and dental misalignments, they are the right persons to take a call on whether or not your little one needs an early interceptive orthodontic treatment.
- Read online reviews. Since we live in a digital age, checking online reviews has become an unavoidable part of any research. You can read reviews and testimonials from other patients, particularly from parents of young patients to understand more about the orthodontists you are interested in before confirming them.
- Visit the facility beforehand. You are always allowed to visit the orthodontic dental clinic beforehand to familiarize yourself with the facilities. You can easily determine whether it is the right place and right orthodontist for your little one by spending some time at the clinic, talking to the staff, and getting all the necessary information. You can also take an appointment to meet with the specialist as well before taking your child for the orthodontic evaluation. If you’re anywhere near the area, you can try visiting this pediatric dentist in Fredericksburg, VA and check their facilities out for yourself.
- Have open conversations. As a parent, you will be having numerous questions regarding orthodontic evaluation and what to expect when you take your child for an appointment for the same. Talk to your pediatric dentist and the orthodontist you choose beforehand if possible to understand the process and its possible outcomes. This will help you prepare your little one for their first orthodontic evaluation.
The next step
Orthodontic treatments are for people of all ages. And it is especially needed for young children with growing bodies. Well-aligned teeth not only look and feel good but also help your child chew, bite and speak properly. To know whether your child needs orthodontic attention, don’t delay your child’s orthodontic appointment any later than the age of 7.
Book your appointment with an expert orthodontist in Dubai today for more information and a stress-free evaluation at myPediaclinic.