Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    shautieh's Avatar
    shautieh is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Skipea
    Posts
    5,340

    Default little question for windows experts

    i don't know if it's possible, but i'd like to make some applications run but not under the "explorer.exe" process
    ie if i kill explorer to gain some ressources to play a game, i'd like to have the program that manages the battery on my laptop not die too, along with other programs i would want to keep

    or if you know any other simple ways to gain a lot of ressources without having to quit the session and open another one that is more spartan

  2. #2
    Volvogga's Avatar
    Volvogga is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    2,076

    Default

    Oh shit... I really don't think that is a good idea. Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to run the program as a system file, IE a service. I have no idea what this will do, however. The programs weren't made to run that way after all.

    If someone, for some reason, has actually tried this or has another idea, then maybe they can help you. I would suggest finding a new shell that runs smaller than Explorer and calling it good at this point (doesn't explorer automaticly restart itself anyway?).

    Or try this... probably as bare bones as your going to get with Windows (man I haven't goten to use 'Bare Bones' expression in a long time ^^ ).
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;331796
    Now that I think about it, you may be able to take that a step further somehow and make a startup entry or user accout to do this for you. No idea how though, and I have to go to class. So, you may want to research along those lines.
    Vol~

    thanks to Silverwmoon!

  3. #3
    shautieh's Avatar
    shautieh is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Skipea
    Posts
    5,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvogga
    Oh shit... I really don't think that is a good idea. Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to run the program as a system file, IE a service. I have no idea what this will do, however. The programs weren't made to run that way after all.
    if i ran process explorer, it's divided like that :
    + system idle process
    + explorer.exe
    the touchpad drier (ApntEx.exe)

    so i thought maybe it was possible to make other processes run aside from explorer and system idle process, as the touchpad driver....
    but it seems it will be more troublesome than handy ^^"

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvogga
    I would suggest finding a new shell that runs smaller than Explorer and calling it good at this point (doesn't explorer automaticly restart itself anyway?).
    no, if you kill explorer, it doesn't restart by itself
    ... but another shell would maybe be a solution ... is it possible to define an account to start under explorer and another one under another one ?? (and btw do you know a good little one ?)

    aside from that, a friend says that linux with an emulator for windows game would be more effective than to let them turn under windows...... but of course he didn't tried it himself, and is a pro linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvogga
    Or try this... probably as bare bones as your going to get with Windows (man I haven't goten to use 'Bare Bones' expression in a long time ^^ ).
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;331796
    Now that I think about it, you may be able to take that a step further somehow and make a startup entry or user accout to do this for you. No idea how though, and I have to go to class. So, you may want to research along those lines.
    this would change the boot no ?? not only the logon ..?
    i'd like not have to reboot every time i want to play a game ... but of course i could kill all extra services when i would want to play, but last time i tried that, it didn't work well .... and i don't really know which services/processes i should keep >.>


    as for now i have another log in where all explorer enhancement are turned off, and i keep the number of programs running to the minimum....

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162