Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: network help

  1. #1
    spikeblack2005 is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5

    Default network help

    if any one can help me i need to connect two computers to one dsl line

    thanks to who ever answers me

  2. #2
    Volvogga's Avatar
    Volvogga is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    2,076

    Default

    Do you have a router?

    You need a router that will allow you to hook up the two computers (either by wire or wireless, depends on your computers having wireless cards in them or not) to it, and connect to the DSL modem.

    From there... you should either have the router set to assign your computers IP addresses, or you have to set it to reconize the static ones you have (I think).

    I'm really not a network guy. Never had too much luck with them. I know the basics, but I'm not sure what it is you are having a problem with. If you can give some more information, that would help a lot.
    Vol~

    thanks to Silverwmoon!

  3. #3
    shautieh's Avatar
    shautieh is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Skipea
    Posts
    5,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvogga
    You need a router that will allow you to hook up the two computers (either by wire or wireless, depends on your computers having wireless cards in them or not) to it, and connect to the DSL modem.
    i'm not a specialist ever, but i don't think you need a router...

    just put you modem on one of the 2 computers, and connect your 2 computers with an ethernet cable..
    and then you have to make the 2nd computer connect through the first one... ^^" (when you create a new connection, there should be this kind of option.. as connect through a lan or something.. and don't forget to say to the first computer to let his connection to be used by others

  4. #4
    Volvogga's Avatar
    Volvogga is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    2,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shautieh
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvogga
    You need a router that will allow you to hook up the two computers (either by wire or wireless, depends on your computers having wireless cards in them or not) to it, and connect to the DSL modem.
    i'm not a specialist ever, but i don't think you need a router...

    just put you modem on one of the 2 computers, and connect your 2 computers with an ethernet cable..
    and then you have to make the 2nd computer connect through the first one... ^^" (when you create a new connection, there should be this kind of option.. as connect through a lan or something.. and don't forget to say to the first computer to let his connection to be used by others
    Hrmm... your right about that, but I was under the impression that DSL modems were generaly external, and connected through an RJ-45 (ethernet) jack. If that is the case, then the connected computer needs to have 2 RJ-45 jacks for that to work.

    Plus, the cable that connects the 2 computers together can't be your standard CAT-5e (or whatever) ethernet cable, it has to be a CAT-5e Crossover ethernet cable.

    As far as connecting the computer to the modem, I have no idea if that is a standard cable, or a crossover cable. I guess if you are using it now going from one computer to the modem, then it doesn't matter as it is the right type of cable (whatever it is).

    So Shautieh is right, but this method requires you to install a second ethernet card, if you don't already have two in there. Another possibility to consider if you are comfortable doing it.
    Vol~

    thanks to Silverwmoon!

  5. #5
    shautieh's Avatar
    shautieh is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Skipea
    Posts
    5,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvogga
    Hrmm... your right about that, but I was under the impression that DSL modems were generaly external, and connected through an RJ-45 (ethernet) jack. If that is the case, then the connected computer needs to have 2 RJ-45 jacks for that to work.

    Plus, the cable that connects the 2 computers together can't be your standard CAT-5e (or whatever) ethernet cable, it has to be a CAT-5e Crossover ethernet cable.
    yes to connect 2 pc, it's a crossover ethernet cable ^^

    for dsl modems, they are generally in usb or ethernet.... if it is in usb there is not this problem of connectors
    and if it is in ethernet then an ethernet hub or switch would be enough ^^

  6. #6
    Hellcreator is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    902

    Default

    i'll basically summarize what was said here

    There are three options to connecting two computers to one internet connection.

    Option 1: If your ISP allows you to have multiple computers running on one account. You buy an ethernet switch or hub. Connect the Hub to the DSL modem and then your two computers to the hub as well. (you may need a crossover cable from the modem to hub).

    Option 2:Use one computer like a router. This method works if your dsl modem is internal. Use a crossover cable to connect the two computers directly. You need software to bridge the connection over to the second computer. You also need to leave the host computer running for the other one to access the net.

    Option 3: Use a router. Connect the DSL modem to the Router's WAN port. connect other computers to Router via WLAN or Ethernet. Setup the router and away you go. This is one of the simpler methods and works really well.


    I would recommend option 3 if you don't know what you want. The nice thing about option 3 is you can easily expand the network later on without much cost.

  7. #7
    char siu bao is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sweeping dead koalas off the sidewalk
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Just one question, does your DSL modem also function as a router/switch, ie having extra RJ-45 Ethernet ports? I just wanna make sure you're not going out and wasting money when you already have the facilities to create your own mini DSL network.

    If not then as Hell suggested his option three is the most efficient solution. Setting up the wizard on your router ( and making sure your protocols and encapsulation is correct ) takes a matter of minutes. Oh and make sure you're using straight through Ethernet cables when connecting your computers to the router

  8. #8
    spikeblack2005 is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5

    Default

    hey every one thanks for all the help
    hope we can help each other out in the future

    Thank again for the help

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79