Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Valhallian_Snake is offline Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    94

    Default Could not access a web-site.

    Hello!

    For a few weeks already I could not acces one web-site. http:\\www.benchmade.com Site is working fine -- just tested from another PC (my father's machine, connected to the same ISP). All other sites are accessed with no problems.

    Tried three browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and IE) with similar result -- negative.

    Tried to ping it from command line -- "query expection interval exeeded" (wording may be somewhat wrong -- my Windows is Russian).

    Kaspersky firewall does not react anyway when I try to aceess this site.

    Apparently it's not a browser thing.
    Not a firewall thing.
    Not a provider thing.

    So -- what could this, potentially, be?

    Technical details.
    Operation system -- Windows XP Home ver.2002 Service Pack 3.
    Browsers tried: Google Chrome 2.0.172.31
    Mozilla Firefox 3.0.10
    IE 7.0.5730.11

    Thanks beforehand for any suggestions!

  2. #2
    tigerm is offline Senior Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    116

    Default

    I would still suspect your firewall, although I'm not at all familiar with Kaspersky firewall. Can you somehow disable it temporarily just to test the one site?

    Are you using any other anti-spyware software? The site may have made it onto its blocklist for some reason. Interesting that it would work in all three browsers though, so maybe that's not as likely.

    Also check for that domain name in your hosts file (probably C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts). Open it in Notepad. If it's in that text file, remove it, save, reboot (or restart the DNS client service), and try again. Another way to check this is to open up a command window and type "nslookup www.whatever" (substitute the site's domain for "whatever"). It should return a reasonable IP address, in this case starting with the number 66 (that's what I see at least). If not, and it's not in your hosts file, check your network settings and make sure they're similar to your father's computer.

  3. #3
    Valhallian_Snake is offline Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Thanks for your suggestions!

    Checked hosts file-- not mentioned there.
    Tried to disable firewall -- it did not help. No other protective software is running or was added before this oddities started to happen.

    The nslookup brought the following:
    "Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: benchmade.com
    Address: 66.129.120.100
    Aliases: www.benchmade.com"
    Except the "Non-authoritative answer" -- looks legitimate for me.

    After another try, I got an unusual error message from Chrome:
    "Error 109 (net::ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE): Unknown error"

    Tried to browse for it, and found this
    http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...etail?id=12711

    Could not make much from it, unfortunately

  4. #4
    tigerm is offline Senior Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    116

    Default

    So the domain name is resolving okay. You're just not able to make a connection for whatever reason. Try running "tracert " with that domain name. It might give you a clue as to where it's stopping.

    Another possibility is that your MTU size is set too large and there's a router along your path to the site that's not reassembling fragmented packets properly. The proper MTU to use depends on how you connect to the Internet. You might need to set yours a little smaller to get through. There's some general information here, but I don't know how well some of it applies to your country. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks/4._MTU

    Maybe you can just use the DRTCP program on the same site to check how your father's computer is set up, then make sure yours is the same. Here it is http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578

  5. #5
    Valhallian_Snake is offline Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Thanks for your interest in my problem, tigerm! I should have answered earlier, but my off-line life suddenly demanded some close attenion)).

    Tried tracert.
    After fourteenth step (which was ge-10-1-12.car1.Charlotte2.level13net) i got "query expection interval exeeded". Two next steps ("v10.cd1.peak10.net" and 66.129.112.188") went fine, but all the following ended in nothing, but "query expection interval exeeded". Judging by names in other steps -- data stops somewhere in USA, but it's just a not-so-educated guess.

    I'll definitely look into MTU, though abit later -- when I have some more free time, and some less things on mind.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162