Suggestions for internet security
I've been using Trend Micro PC-Cillin for some time now. Though its a decent antivirus detector, its still not good enough. So I need opinions which should I choose. For now, Kaspersky is the top of my list followed by BitDefender.
Nothing beats that.
As for protection against malware, either stick to a linux/unix OS or Windows Vista with UAC and DEP enabled.
Ah and IE7 on Vista x64 is very secure.
Last edited by Jyuu; 03-14-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Hardware firewall? Never heard of that before. Maybe I'll try looking it up. Oh, and I'm not planning to get Vista, not anytime soon. I'm pretty satisfied with XP for now.
If you get a wireless router, here are some things to consider doing (though nothing will protect you perfectly they're a start):
1) change the default admin password (use symbols, uppercase & lowercase letters, and numbers) and the SSID
- there are at least 3 unprotected Linksys networks around me
2) disable ad-hoc networking so other computers can't just connect to you on their own
3) disable SSID broadcast
4) use WPA2 (preferred) or WPA, not WEP
5) configure your computer to only connect to a WAP (wireless access point); related to #2
If you're curious as to how many unprotected networks there are around you, try NetStumbler.
While I don't advocate connecting to someone else's wireless network, I mentioned the 3 unprotected networks above to illustrate how common they are and why it's not something to imitate.
I don't need any stinkin" virus scanner
all I have is a Agnitum firewall and add aware S.E
I know what I download and I don't look for porn on the internet