Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 83
  1. #21
    NeoSapien is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Oh, poor Harima. That lie fell apart faster than I expected. At least Tenma and Karasuma haven't held it against him, for some bizarre reason. Also, it is interesting that Tenma guessed that Harima had the "star" and wanted him to teach her how to chip toner, thus actually showing a brief preference for him over Karasuma; too bad Harima is such a n00b and so blew it.

    But the saddest part about this chapter is that almost everyone I have seen commenting is rooting against Harima. Even though Harima is now fighting for his love against his first and greatest rival to whom he is the underdog in virtually every way, most of you guys want him to fail miserably, give up and move on to some other girl. Am I the only one who still sympathizes with Harima? He took a double blow from Eri and Tenma, went into another exile, and returned just in time to see Tenma closer to Karasuma than ever before. How brutal. Is he really going to be utterly crushed yet again? I think that he has a chance, if only because this situation is so immensely weighted against him that he needs some sort of victory by the end for the sake of balance. Also, how lame would it be for Harima's love for Tenma to end because he loses to Karasuma and gives up forever?

    I'm still rooting for Harima. I am cautiously optimistic; if Harima was going to move on, then his feelings for Tenma should have started to taper off instead of returning at full blast the instant in which he saw her.

  2. #22
    ultraness is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Oh, poor Harima. That lie fell apart faster than I expected. At least Tenma and Karasuma haven't held it against him, for some bizarre reason.
    I don't think any of us were expecting Harima's editor to come walking in; there's no way his deceit was going to remain uncontested around that guy. I credit Harima for not making a bigger ass of himself by saying he was a part of Nijou, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    But the saddest part about this chapter is that almost everyone I have seen commenting is rooting against Harima. Even though Harima is now fighting for his love against his first and greatest rival to whom he is the underdog in virtually every way, most of you guys want him to fail miserably, give up and move on to some other girl. Am I the only one who still sympathizes with Harima?
    Harima's looks like the bad guy, here (especially on the last page), as he often does around Tenma and Karasuma, so it's no surprise to see everyone turning on him. Normally, I root for guys like Harima...but I just can't seem to support him.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    He took a double blow from Eri and Tenma, went into another exile, and returned just in time to see Tenma closer to Karasuma than ever before. How brutal. Is he really going to be utterly crushed yet again? I think that he has a chance, if only because this situation is so immensely weighted against him that he needs some sort of victory by the end for the sake of balance.
    Remember who saved him from his exile, and who Harima is basically backstabbing right now?

    "Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Also, how lame would it be for Harima's love for Tenma to end because he loses to Karasuma and gives up forever?
    Quite lame, but not so if he ever realizes he's not really in a competition with Karasuma.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    I'm still rooting for Harima. I am cautiously optimistic; if Harima was going to move on, then his feelings for Tenma should have started to taper off instead of returning at full blast the instant in which he saw her.
    I admire your loyalty to Harima, but I think you should be concerned by how Harima seems to be getting consumed by his need to defeat Karasuma more than anything else.
    Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

  3. #23
    Mexmangafan is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mérida,Yucatán
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Legend View Post
    Karasuma will probably be like NICE CURRY =D and Harima will be dead on the floor...
    This is the most likely situation. If you remember in chapter 170 Tenma gave Karasuma chocolate with curry inside, who´s only comment about it was just "it has a very strange taste" and was completly unnafected by it, while the editor had a stomachache when he ate it.

  4. #24
    xaturas is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,138

    Default

    Sorry but for me harima x tenma is just boring. Its not even hard to convince anyone that tenma and karasuma are ideal pair. Tenma is stupid, Karasuma doesnt care about that. Tenma cant cook, Karasuma will eat her curry and it will be good for him. Tenma is lively, Karasuma is calm. In every way they are made to be together.

  5. #25
    reinard-fox is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St.Petersburg (Russia)
    Posts
    4,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xaturas View Post
    Sorry but for me harima x tenma is just boring. Its not even hard to convince anyone that tenma and karasuma are ideal pair. Tenma is stupid, Karasuma doesnt care about that. Tenma cant cook, Karasuma will eat her curry and it will be good for him. Tenma is lively, Karasuma is calm. In every way they are made to be together.
    The bolded part is where you are wrong.

    Besides, they are not boring, they are pretty funny.

  6. #26
    kniteowl is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The End of the World (NZ)
    Posts
    1,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyto1984 View Post
    Forgive my Rumbleless memory, but when did Harima eat Tenma's curry? He ate her Onigiri when they were at the cultural festival, and he ate what he thought was Tenma's curry when he stayed with them those few days (it was actually Yakumo's curry, but Tenma made it spicy). For the life of me I can't remember Harima eating her curry.
    I don't think he ate her Curry yet, all I remember is Karasuma eating Tenma's Curry when she made the huge plate during the winter.



  7. #27
    reinard-fox is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St.Petersburg (Russia)
    Posts
    4,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyto1984
    Forgive my Rumbleless memory, but when did Harima eat Tenma's curry? He ate her Onigiri when they were at the cultural festival, and he ate what he thought was Tenma's curry when he stayed with them those few days (it was actually Yakumo's curry, but Tenma made it spicy). For the life of me I can't remember Harima eating her curry.
    I'm sure that everything that Tenma makes is horrible as hell, maybe not as dreadful as her Onigiri of Death, but still terrible enough to couse a stomach ache. Harima won't be able to handle it, and will, once more, suffer from the hands of his beloved one, while Karasuma will not even blink.

  8. #28
    NeoSapien is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    Harima's looks like the bad guy, here (especially on the last page), as he often does around Tenma and Karasuma, so it's no surprise to see everyone turning on him. Normally, I root for guys like Harima...but I just can't seem to support him.
    But Harima has always been the bad guy, since his introduction. That's part of his, uh, charm, for lack of a better word. He's Tom to Karasuma's Jerry. Wile E. Coyote to Karasuma's Roadrunner. Gargamel to Karasuma's all of the Smurfs. Harima is so pitiful that he is more sympathetic than Karasuma, the supposed good guy.

    Of course, the main reason that most people aren't rooting for Harima here is that they want him to end up with someone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    Remember who saved him from his exile, and who Harima is basically backstabbing right now?

    "Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."
    I don't expect Harima to truly win, especially not here. He will continue to suffer until either he winds up in the right again (for instance, if Karasuma hated Tenma's curry and made her cry again - very unlikely but possible) or something even more unpredictable happens.


    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    Quite lame, but not so if he ever realizes he's not really in a competition with Karasuma.
    Even if Harima realizes that Karasuma isn't actually competing with him (since Karasuma is not actively pursuing Tenma), that won't stop Harima from pursuing Tenma himself; if anything, it would only encourage him. And I don't think that Harima will suddenly have an epiphany that he is no longer interested in Tenma, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    I admire your loyalty to Harima, but I think you should be concerned by how Harima seems to be getting consumed by his need to defeat Karasuma more than anything else.
    Nah. Harima only wants to defeat Karasuma in respect to getting Tenma's attention and favor. If Harima started "winning", Karasuma would instantly fall off his radar, as almost happened at the beginning of the chapter when Tenma asked Harima to help her. Also, this is an extreme situation; Harima has never been so directly in competition with Karasuma before for an extended period of time.

  9. #29
    ultraness is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    But Harima has always been the bad guy, since his introduction.
    He's probably always been the bad guy, since his introduction, because he was never intended to "get" Tenma. There's a reason why Tenma and Karsuma's faction is called True Oudou.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    That's part of his, uh, charm, for lack of a better word. He's Tom to Karasuma's Jerry. Wile E. Coyote to Karasuma's Roadrunner. Gargamel to Karasuma's all of the Smurfs. Harima is so pitiful that he is more sympathetic than Karasuma, the supposed good guy.
    Bad company to be in, as I don't believe any of those "villains" ever succeeded.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Of course, the main reason that most people aren't rooting for Harima here is that they want him to end up with someone else.
    Pretty much. Now, why does everyone seem to find those other girls and relationships so much more appealing than Harima's desired relationship?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    I don't expect Harima to truly win, especially not here. He will continue to suffer until either he winds up in the right again (for instance, if Karasuma hated Tenma's curry and made her cry again - very unlikely but possible) or something even more unpredictable happens.
    Even Karasuma hating Tenma's curry would probably turn against Harima, since Karasuma would be honest about how he feels about it while Harima is not (I'm pretty sure Harima is going to hate it, and he seems to be set on pretending he likes it). Dishonesty is seldom rewarded, and usually goes punished whenever it is, as Chapter 225 demonstrated.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Even if Harima realizes that Karasuma isn't actually competing with him (since Karasuma is not actively pursuing Tenma), that won't stop Harima from pursuing Tenma himself; if anything, it would only encourage him. And I don't think that Harima will suddenly have an epiphany that he is no longer interested in Tenma, either.
    It's Harima realizing that getting a girl is not a prize, like you would win a competition, that I want him to realize. I'm starting to doubt he can ever do this without actually "winning" Tenma, though. About the only sadder than not getting what you want is actually getting it, sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    And I don't think that Harima will suddenly have an epiphany that he is no longer interested in Tenma, either.
    I don't think Harima will ever have an epiphany that Tenma is not the idol he's imagined her to be, which would be necessary for him to actually develop a relationship with her, without losing interest in her.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Nah. Harima only wants to defeat Karasuma in respect to getting Tenma's attention and favor.
    That's the problem. Harima's too stupid to realize he doesn't need to defeat Karasuma to get Tenma's attention and favor, and that he has to simply be himself to get it. It's his idiocy in creating and winning competitions that keeps on holding him back.

    Beating "rivals" doesn't work in School Rumble. Harima gets rewarded for making sacrifices, as do Eri and the other characters.
    Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

  10. #30
    NeoSapien is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    He's probably always been the bad guy, since his introduction, because he was never intended to "get" Tenma. There's a reason why Tenma and Karsuma's faction is called True Oudou.
    That's the big question, isn't it: was Harima meant to get Tenma in the beginning? I suspect that he was, because Karasuma was never really developed beyond being a foil to Harima and occasional target of Tenma every 30 chapters or so. Friggin' Suga has gotten more real development than Karasuma. The main couple, and Tenma was definitely the main girl in the beginning, should always get the most development in a romantic comedy.

    KJ has said that he lets the characters take the story where they want, so the original plan could have changed, but I really do believe that Harima was meant to get Tenma in the end in the beginning (or is that the other way around?).

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    Bad company to be in, as I don't believe any of those "villains" ever succeeded.
    I think that Tom occasionally beat Jerry. Maybe I should have compared Harima to the Trix rabbit, who never gets to eat Trix because... he's not a kid? So unfair. Does anyone actually root against the Trix rabbit? If they ever made a final Trix commercial, he should definitely get to eat 'em.

    Even in the Christmas commercial, the rabbit doesn't get Trix. Is Santa a kid? No! So unfair.

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    Pretty much. Now, why does everyone seem to find those other girls and relationships so much more appealing than Harima's desired relationship?
    Well, Eri and Yakumo have been developed more than Tenma and have more facets to their characters, as well as being drawn more attractively. However, I think that they could both do much better (and certainly deserve much better) than Harima, who still can't see past Tenma to either of them after 225 chapters.

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    Even Karasuma hating Tenma's curry would probably turn against Harima, since Karasuma would be honest about how he feels about it while Harima is not (I'm pretty sure Harima is going to hate it, and he seems to be set on pretending he likes it). Dishonesty is seldom rewarded, and usually goes punished whenever it is, as Chapter 225 demonstrated.

    It's Harima realizing that getting a girl is not a prize, like you would win a competition, that I want him to realize. I'm starting to doubt he can ever do this without actually "winning" Tenma, though. About the only sadder than not getting what you want is actually getting it, sometimes.
    Yeah, I expect that Harima will have to give up Tenma in order to "win" her in the end, or something similar. Of course, giving up isn't a guarantee. Eri essentially gave up on Harima in 217, and Yakumo gave up twice. If being unselfish was the key to victory, Yakumo would be the winner.

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    I don't think Harima will ever have an epiphany that Tenma is not the idol he's imagined her to be, which would be necessary for him to actually develop a relationship with her, without losing interest in her.
    Harima doesn't exactly idolize Tenma. He is certainly aware of her flaws. He has known that she isn't very bright from practically the beginning and he knows that her cooking is terrible. Harima does see Tenma as far more beautiful and attractive than a neutral observer might, but I don't see this as a negative


    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    That's the problem. Harima's too stupid to realize he doesn't need to defeat Karasuma to get Tenma's attention and favor, and that he has to simply be himself to get it. It's his idiocy in creating and winning competitions that keeps on holding him back.

    Beating "rivals" doesn't work in School Rumble. Harima gets rewarded for making sacrifices, as do Eri and the other characters.
    True. However, the current situation is a very difficult one for Harima. How can he not compete with Karasuma with Tenma being all over him right in front of Harima? Similarly, how can he be honest and unselfish about Tenma's curry? Either Harima lies or he hurts Tenma's feelings. Harima needs a miracle in order to even have a chance to make the right choice.

 

 
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162