Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64
  1. #21
    luisfcayo is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    162

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Perhaps. There are things that don't translate well here; the sidetext refers to how Harima "did it", which is probably some Japanese idiom.



    Yeah, that's my interpretation as well. Eri didn't exactly reject him; she rejected his rejection without actually directly saying anything about her feelings. Harima probably still doesn't know what happened there.



    I am fairly sure that Karasuma did not want Harima to meet her. Harima cut him off three times, and in the second, Karasuma said, "No, that's fine, leave it to me." At a minimum, Karasuma was aware that Harima seeing Tenma would be a non-trivial event.



    Harima's lie seems like it is aimed at impressing Tenma. He has essentially made Karasuma out to be his junior partner, since his own name is much closer to "Harima Hario".


    Yeah. Still, we are definitely in the endgame. I will be disappointed if there is not advancement of some sort - any sort - by the end of this encounter.

    Yeah, that's my interpretation as well. Eri didn't exactly reject him; she rejected his rejection without actually directly saying anything about her feelings. Harima probably still doesn't know what happened there. -->>

    Im impressed with Eri's confidence when she wants something she fights for it no matter what, even if its been denied to her... (Harimas rejection)
    Im sure she denied the rejection, she was probably thinking I havent given up on you boy just yet.

    And I dont think Harima would lie about karasuma in a way that would benefit him... that wouldnt be fit to him, especially after Karasuma gave him shelter... if not he may have more regreets later on...

  2. #22
    liekiamhiung is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pontianak, Indonesia
    Posts
    921

    Default

    My conclude about this chapter is, this is only another joke-chapters..... That will build up the relationship of Harima-Tenma-Karasuma in the next chap. But about flag development, i didn't find any connection toward that yet, except Harima's though. Which is hastily broken by the sidenote....
    LONG LIVE HIME-SAMA. MY LIFE FOR RUMBLANDIA!


  3. #23
    Jakub is offline Banned Regular
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luisfcayo View Post
    Im sure she denied the rejection, she was probably thinking I havent given up on you boy just yet.
    I disagree. I think Eri was basing her actions on her fresh emotions - which would be the importance of her friends. She cooled off a little - she didn't stopped liking Harima, but she stopped being being so obsessed about this.

    The other option could be, that since Harima was the reason of fight, she just wanted to make a fool of him (Harima is Eri's anti-stress punching bag )

  4. #24
    luisfcayo is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    162

    Default

    wow or thats another good choice... yes she analized it carefully previously...

  5. #25
    Swampstorm is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Everywhere... with some exceptions.
    Posts
    183

    Smile

    It's not so straightforward. As of the end of Ch.215, Eri was still torn between her friendship with Tenma and her love for Harima. When she reappears in Ch.217, she appeared to become indifferent - not because she chose her friendship over Harima, but because Harima made that choice for her. If you look back to 213, she didn't believe that she could have both to begin with - and Harima merely confirmed that.

    The sidetext on p.2 of this chapter is a reference to Ch.217, where Harima ends the rooftop scene with those same words, clarifying their meaning (ie. "Can it be that I... did it?" gets linked to his feelings of being rejected by Eri). It's just a confirmation of that theory we put down in Ch.217 that Harima has developed an interest in Eri.

    Harima's latest sabotage attempt on Karasuma x Tenma seems to put Tenma in a parallel situation, assuming that Tenma believes him. On one hand, she can choose to give up on her manga for the sake of her relationship with Karasuma, and on the other, she can choose to follow her goal of becoming a mangaka, at the expense of creating a rivalry with Karasuma. It's oddly familiar.

    The last three frames of the chapter are particularly interesting. From the expressions and choice of words, it seems very much as if Harima is angry at Tenma for the first time, as a result of her decision to compete with him. The phrase "Isn't it obvious?" isn't really endearing - it's more of something that you'd say to a nemesis.

    One point that I've always suspected about Harima's interest in Tenma is that it is really being sustained by his desire to win at everything he does - in the case of his crush, the act of winning over Tenma is far more important than the relationship itself. For the first time, Tenma has crossed the boundary here, by making herself a threat to another one of Harima's goals. It may just be that the trick to breaking the spell may be much simpler than any of us first thought...

  6. #26
    Jakub is offline Banned Regular
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
    It's not so straightforward. As of the end of Ch.215, Eri was still torn between her friendship with Tenma and her love for Harima. When she reappears in Ch.217, she appeared to become indifferent - not because she chose her friendship over Harima, but because Harima made that choice for her. If you look back to 213, she didn't believe that she could have both to begin with - and Harima merely confirmed that.
    I can't find the explanation of Eri's behaviour in your statement.. "indifferent?" .. did she turned Harima down because she learnt that her goal is already achieved and she got bored (that what one could say from what you said) ?. Or that Harima was the one to do it ? Or that she lost her interest ?

    The last three frames of the chapter are particularly interesting. From the expressions and choice of words, it seems very much as if Harima is angry at Tenma for the first time, as a result of her decision to compete with him. The phrase "Isn't it obvious?" isn't really endearing - it's more of something that you'd say to a nemesis.
    I think this pannel was Harima's ordinary "I have an idea" and he boasted that he is here working on his manga. Because isn't that obvious ? What could Harima be doing at Karasuma's place ? That way he can somehow impress Tenma how devote he is to his job (when he isn't, seeing how easily he stopped doing it - it's the 3rd time Harima stopped writing manga because Tenma rejected him).

    One point that I've always suspected about Harima's interest in Tenma is that it is really being sustained by his desire to win at everything he does - in the case of his crush, the act of winning over Tenma is far more important than the relationship itself.
    I can easily agree with this part - it might be actually how Harima's whole mind works. I can agree about Harima thinking about Tenma as a threat to his goal, I sometimes think Harima isn't really so passionate about writing manga if he can stop doing it so easily.

  7. #27
    Swampstorm is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Everywhere... with some exceptions.
    Posts
    183

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakub
    I can't find the explanation of Eri's behaviour in your statement.. "indifferent?" .. did she turned Harima down because she learnt that her goal is already achieved and she got bored (that what one could say from what you said) ?. Or that Harima was the one to do it ? Or that she lost her interest ?
    Eri tends to be fairly practical when it comes to her decision making. Once she decides that something is impossible, she gives up on it. You've seen how she reacted when told by her parents that she has to get married, or when she "confirms" that Mikoto/Tae/Yakumo are dating Harima - she resigns herself to the situation. That doesn't mean that she doesn't have feelings for Harima - if it becomes evident to her that she can enter a relationship with Harima without hurting Tenma in the process, then she'll do it. Just like the Omiai arc, we'll need someone or something to restore her faith, first.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakub
    I think this pannel was Harima's ordinary "I have an idea" and he boasted that he is here working on his manga. Because isn't that obvious ? What could Harima be doing at Karasuma's place ? That way he can somehow impress Tenma how devote he is to his job (when he isn't, seeing how easily he stopped doing it - it's the 3rd time Harima stopped writing manga because Tenma rejected him).
    In Ch. 217, Tenma told Harima that she would be competing against Harima Hario from here on. If Karasuma and Harima are coauthors using that same name, then to compete against "Harima Hario" means to compete against Harima and Karasuma. This places Tenma in a double bind situation, where she has to choose between competing against "Harima Hario" and keeping her relationship with Karasuma intact. Harima wasn't bragging to Tenma - he was placing her into a situation where her goals conflict with each other. Expressed differently, he is saying "Which do you choose - the guy or the manga?" similar to how Eri posed a similar question in Ch.214.

  8. #28
    Jakub is offline Banned Regular
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
    Eri tends to be fairly practical when it comes to her decision making. Once she decides that something is impossible, she gives up on it. You've seen how she reacted when told by her parents that she has to get married, or when she "confirms" that Mikoto/Tae/Yakumo are dating Harima - she resigns herself to the situation. That doesn't mean that she doesn't have feelings for Harima - if it becomes evident to her that she can enter a relationship with Harima without hurting Tenma in the process, then she'll do it. Just like the Omiai arc, we'll need someone or something to restore her faith, first.
    Makes sense, although I found her giving up on Harima a little too.. easy. Well, she is Ojou - she surely know how to keep high-class even in such awkward situations That's 10 points for her

    In Ch. 217, Tenma told Harima that she would be competing against Harima Hario from here on. If Karasuma and Harima are coauthors using that same name, then to compete against "Harima Hario" means to compete against Harima and Karasuma. This places Tenma in a double bind situation, where she has to choose between competing against "Harima Hario" and keeping her relationship with Karasuma intact. Harima wasn't bragging to Tenma - he was placing her into a situation where her goals conflict with each other. Expressed differently, he is saying "Which do you choose - the guy or the manga?" similar to how Eri posed a similar question in Ch.214.
    You have a point, she is a bind - but I don't think Harima thought throughly about it, he might regret it later - because in my opinion Harima never thought about Tenma as rival but that it was another failure to impress her - so this time he is using Karasuma to impress her . Moreover, Harima might think that if he appears in front of Tenma as someone superior or equal to Karasuma, Tenma will take more interest in him.

    To add arguments - Harima is sweating heavily. It's not just because he is lying, but he also still feels uncomfortable in front of Tenma (he doesn't know how to act). If he tried to put her in bind (which he did, but I think not on purpose) he would have a little different expression.
    Last edited by Jakub; 05-15-2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: failed at doing "quote" thingy

  9. #29
    NeoSapien is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakub View Post
    You have a point, she is a bind - but I don't think Harima thought throughly about it, he might regret it later - because in my opinion Harima never thought about Tenma as rival but that it was another failure to impress her - so this time he is using Karasuma to impress her . Moreover, Harima might think that if he appears in front of Tenma as someone superior or equal to Karasuma, Tenma will take more interest in him.

    To add arguments - Harima is sweating heavily. It's not just because he is lying, but he also still feels uncomfortable in front of Tenma (he doesn't know how to act). If he tried to put her in bind (which he did, but I think not on purpose) he would have a little different expression.
    I agree. Harima is not the type to come up with Machiavellian schemes on the spur of the moment. Also, his blatant lie is doomed if Karasuma does not play along. Finally, Karasuma has already told Tenma that he is working on a manga, so he is her rival whether or not he is Harima Hario anyway.

  10. #30
    luisfcayo is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    162

    Thumbs down I agree

    I agree. Harima is not the type to come up with Machiavellian schemes on the spur of the moment. Also, his blatant lie is doomed if Karasuma does not play along. Finally, Karasuma has already told Tenma that he is working on a manga, so he is her rival whether or not he is Harima Hario anyway.
    I dont think Harima would do such a thing especially after Karasuma gave him shelter and food.

 

 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162