Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Results 191 to 199 of 199
  1. #191
    Digital_Eon's Avatar
    Digital_Eon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kya~nada
    Posts
    17,429

    Default

    No, I really think you made a great point there. ^___^ It's very accurate. I just have some questions to ask/points to make:

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    For example, earlier in the manga Kobayashi would mirror Harimaís inner declarations of love for Tenma with Tenmaís declarations of love for Karasuma. In recent chapters, though, weíre rarely reminded that Tenma still likes Karasuma, so Harimaís recent time with Tenma looks more productive for Odou, while making Flag look less likely, though itís clear from Chapter 207 that Tenma is still not interested in Harima. Then thereís Karasuma who used to show up every now and then and would do something to show heís developing feelings for Tenma, while making Flag appear more likely. In recent chapters, though, heís pretty much disappeared, and his absence removes even more hope for Flaggers.
    Good point - and it's hard to know whether this is just hiding the evidence for Flag temporarily or supporting Oodou now. The only evidence against that point is that Tenma is actually being nice/friendly to Harima now, which, although she doesn't have any romantic interest in him, is still a major step up from hating him half of the time and being indifferent the other half.

    The entire story has really been developing towards Flag in one way or another, though - even with lots of rivals and lack of thoughts and reciprocation of feelings, Eri's feelings are really the only ones that developed in the series. What would be the point of that if Harima were to end up with Tenma after all? Would the whole story have been character development for Eri alone - seeing as how she's the only one who has really had that experience? The support of Oodou at this time really only promotes that... and you've made a great point for that. ^_^
    ~Digital_Eon~




  2. #192
    ultraness is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Eon View Post
    Good point - and it's hard to know whether this is just hiding the evidence for Flag temporarily or supporting Oodou now. The only evidence against that point is that Tenma is actually being nice/friendly to Harima now, which, although she doesn't have any romantic interest in him, is still a major step up from hating him half of the time and being indifferent the other half.
    Tenma has been nice to Harima for most of the series, and while she has been oblivious to his advances, I wouldn't call her indifferent to him. For example, after Harima gets hit by a semi, she visits him in the hospital, which is a solid example of her being nice to him early on. When Tenma believed Harima was being a "monkey" back in Volume 4, she took it upon herself to fix Harima's "lecherous ways;" not something youíd do towards someone youíre indifferent to. Tenma acting nice to Harima now isn't new; what's new, is that Tenma's perspective is no longer being shown to remind us that Karasuma is still the only one she has eyes for.

    Harimaís the one being nice and friendly to a certain someone now after ďhatingĒ a certain character early in the series, if you catch my drift.

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Eon View Post
    The entire story has really been developing towards Flag in one way or another, though - even with lots of rivals and lack of thoughts and reciprocation of feelings, Eri's feelings are really the only ones that developed in the series. What would be the point of that if Harima were to end up with Tenma after all? Would the whole story have been character development for Eri alone - seeing as how she's the only one who has really had that experience? The support of Oodou at this time really only promotes that... and you've made a great point for that. ^_^
    To be honest, I canít think of a sensible reason for Kobayashi to have an Odou ending at this point because Odou will negate so much character development, while avoiding a solid opportunity for Harima and Karasuma to develop as characters; this is the main reason I donít think Odou will happen. I donít see why Kobayashi would focus so much on Eri, only to give her a "That's life" lesson by having Harima end up with Tenma. Itíd be a sad ending, and wouldnít be fitting for a romantic comedy.
    Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

  3. #193
    NeoSapien is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Hmm... these posts are getting out of control in size. Perhaps we should agree to disagree after this exchange? Shipping debates inevitably approach the point of two sides repeating their own arguments ad infinitum, and we are getting close to that point.

    Also, perhaps I should clarify my position. I'm not necessarily arguing for the pairings I like the most or the ones that have been most consistently developed; I'm trying to figure out which ones will actually happen by solving what the mangaka truly intends.
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    Either Harima or Eri will have to give up on their one-sided relationships, but Eri doesnít have anybody else to fall back on should Flag not happen while Harima has Eri. Way more interactions become for naught should Odou happen: Eriís developing feelings for Harima are pointless, Harimaís slight development in his attitude towards Eri becomes pointless, Tenmaís interactions with Karasuma become unnecessary as well as the few moments when Karasuma has shown a developing interest in Tenma.
    Eri's developing feelings for Harima are not pointless. Eri's greatest desire was to feel real love, and sometimes that means having your heart broken a bit. She does have Max to fall back upon, as I'll elaborate on later. Harima's change in attitude towards Eri is not pointless, as it has let them become real friends.
    In the Flag path, not even Harimaís obsession with Tenma is ďfor naughtď, since it serves as a good source of tension and Harima hasnít shown any real development in his feelings for Tenma, anyways. From a plot perspective, it doesnít make sense for Kobayashi to have an Odou ending if heís going for a happy ending since it will make many of his charactersí development pointless in hindsight.
    Harima's feelings for Tenma haven't developed much because there isn't much room to grow from 100%. However, he has learned to be unselfish, and he has truly changed as a person in a profound way because of Tenma.
    Itís true Eri has changed dramatically since the beginning of the series. Harima, on the other hand, has not developed dramatically with his one-sided relationship. Heís still pursuing the perfect vision of Tenma heís had since the beginning of the series and makes no effort to get to know the real Tenma. Thereís massive room for character development left for Harima, and a great way for Harima to develop would be through the Flag path.
    Harima won't develop much through the Flag path. He'll just switch his affections from Tenma to Eri. Harima isn't pursuing the same "perfect vision" of Tenma; he has seen her flaws since Volume 1, recognizes them and accepts them.
    Eri fell in love with Harima again while he was Worker-san, making the statement Eri fell for him because she misbelieved he had an intense love for her invalid. In case you forgot, Harima started liking Tenma after he heard a ďconfessionĒ from Tenma. However, Harima has not fallen in love with Tenma a second time without realizing it was her. This post reeks of a double-standard.
    Even with Worker-san, Eri was moved by Harima's apparent desire to help her break the marriage when he was really thinking of Tenma.
    Also, this doesnít serve as proof that Max would be better suited for Eri. We know almost nothing about Maxís character, and have no idea why he likes Eri... if he even does like her.

    How do you know that Max loves Eri on a level with Eriís love for Harima? Also, why is it okay for Max to end up with Eri by your standards? Remember, if what you say is true about Maxís feelings, Max attacked Harima because Max misunderstood Harima was dating Eri and became jealous. Youíve condemned Eri in previous posts for simply giving Tenma a cold shoulder after Eri became jealous. There seems to be another double-standard in you reasoning here.

    Anyways, Iíll start thinking a Max/Eri pairing is in hand after the two show some solid feelings for each other, not when Max is just a convenient excuse to get Eri out of the way for an Odou ending.
    I agree that Max would be a convenient way to get Eri out of the way and that it wouldn't be the most satisfying way to end the story, but I think that it is still a likely outcome. It is very probable that both Shawn and Max will return in a final arc, with Shawn as the evil contender for Eri and final boss for Harima. With Max's defeat by Harima (which in shonen manga tradition will convert him to a good guy) and his suggested feelings for and past with Eri, I expect him to turn on Shawn and fight him for Eri.
    Eriís love for Harima has been the center of the story for a while now, in case you didnít read the last sixty chapters or so.
    It has become more important recently, but that has been to build up to the grand showdown of Flag vs. Oudou. Eri, not Karasuma, is the biggest threat to Oudou because she is a developed character instead of a glorified plot device. Flag needed a lot of development to push Eri to the point where she is willing to fight for Harima even after she learned that Harima loves someone else.
    Iíd feel more sympathy for Harima in Chapter 158 if he didnít selfishly impose himself onto Tenma after he made her sad by destroyed her gift for Karasuma. As for Chapter 159, Iíd take Yakumoís opinion with a grain of salt; Chapter 206 shows that she has an ideal vision of Harima that sheíll go out of her way to preserve.
    Harima didn't selfishly impose himself onto Tenma. He was truly sorry for what he had done and tried to comfort Tenma in an instinctive way. You make it sound like he deliberately took advantage of her saddened state. And I trust Yakumo's perceptions of Harima and Tenma more than any other character. Her "ideal view" of Harima is like Tenma's ideal view of Eri; if Harima fails to live up to it, that is a Bad Thing and will hopefully be corrected. So Harima may waver in his feelings in the future only to return to Tenma in the end, just as Eri is really a good person even if she is treating Tenma terribly right now.
    Harima acts unnaturally around Tenma; read Chapter 205 again.
    Harima acts unnaturally around Tenma when he is trying too hard to impress her. However, he usually acts normal around her.

    How are you so positive Tougou will not pair off with Tenma, yet so certain Max will end up with Eri?
    I'm not certain that Max will end up with Eri. I'm completely positive that Tougou won't pair off with Tenma because he's a distant third behind Harima and Karasuma.

    What? Every major arc involving Eri has resolved around her feelings for Harima since he confessed to her way back in Volume 3.
    But Eri hasn't made Harima the focus of her life in the way that Harima has done with Tenma. Until recently, she's been very hesitant to pursue him.
    Ah, those misunderstandings are just signs that Flag is fated to happen.

    Seriously, though, why is Kobayashi constantly reviving Flag with these misunderstandings if he isnít aiming for a Flag ending? Itíd make more sense if heís planning an Odou ending to just make Eri lose interest in him already, and have more chapters that focus on Tenma losing interest in Karasuma, which is most critical in order for Odou to occur, and have Tenma spend way more time with Harima.
    That would be a very boring way to resolve the story. Stories thrive on conflict. Flag is necessary because it is the only pairing that really threatens Oudou (and vice versa). Usually at the ends of stories of unrequited love, there is a period of role reversal when the target person finally starts to return feelings when it seems that it is too late. So for a satisfactory resolution, there should be a period when either Tenma starts to fall for Harima while Harima seems to have moved on (with Eri) or Harima starts to fall for Eri while Eri seems to have moved on (with Shawn?).
    Harimaís side being neglected makes me think Flag is more likely to happen, not less likely. Letís say in Chapter 210, Harima does something that makes it obvious heís going to end up with Eri. Then weíll all know how the series is going to end, and then the remaining chapters will lose suspense. Authors of effective romance stories, where the chase is the point, keep one side of a main relationship vague on purpose so that readers donít know the ending right away. If Harima changes his feelings for Eri, itís going to be quick and near the end of the series. Kobayashi has already had Eri crack his tunnel-vision slightly, so it wonít be too much of a stretch for Harima to suddenly realize he loves her.
    It would be a huge stretch. The buildup of Flag has been too uneven. Harima should be showing increasing signs of attraction to Eri, but his behavior has been static for a long time. If Harima suddenly changed, it would be a copout. I would also dislike it if Tenma suddenly changed. There needs to be a transition period after Harima and Tenma learn the truth.
    Other than Tenma making things explode, I donít think anything else there is going to happen. The situation you make sounds like a story Iíd find in fan fiction.
    Well, I'm pretty sure that the album movie and Shawn will be important, but I agree that predicting anything is very difficult in a manga as random as School Rumble.

    Harima being so out of Karasumaís league illustrates how futile his goal of ending up with Tenma is, and whatís the point of Harima having a rival that isnít his true rival, Karasuma? Also, you criticize Eri for starting a rivalry with Tenma, so why is it all right for Harima to have rivalries? Heís started a one-sided rivalry with Karasuma who did nothing against him, much like Eri did with Tenma.
    That's just terrible. The whole point of having a rival completely out of the hero's league is to make the hero's triumph all the greater when he finally wins. The point of Harima having another rival is to allow for amusing situations and character development; see Hanai and Harima's rivalry with him. And Eri's rivalry with Tenma is only a problem because Eri is taking it very personally even though Tenma is her best friend; Harima has become quite friendly with Karasuma in comparison.

  4. #194
    ultraness is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Hmm... these posts are getting out of control in size. Perhaps we should agree to disagree after this exchange? Shipping debates inevitably approach the point of two sides repeating their own arguments ad infinitum, and we are getting close to that point.
    If you want to stop this discussion, donít reply to this post; I havenít gotten to the point where Iíll agree to disagree yet, and Iím not going ready to stop any time soon. Besides, the time until Chapter 210 passes much quicker if Iím disagreeing with you. These forums exist so people like me can disagree with people like you, and vice versa.

    Iíll have to repeat some of my arguments ad infinitum if you keep on sidestepping key points I make.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Also, perhaps I should clarify my position. I'm not necessarily arguing for the pairings I like the most or the ones that have been most consistently developed; I'm trying to figure out which ones will actually happen by solving what the mangaka truly intends.
    How about clarifying what position youíre in regarding your favorite pairings? I donít recall you ever saying what they are. I like to know these sorts of things about people.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Eri's developing feelings for Harima are not pointless. Eri's greatest desire was to feel real love, and sometimes that means having your heart broken a bit. She does have Max to fall back upon, as I'll elaborate on later. Harima's change in attitude towards Eri is not pointless, as it has let them become real friends.
    This does not explain why Harimaís signs of increasing attraction towards Eri, Tenmaís feelings for Karasuma, and Karasumaís small development regarding his feelings for Tenma wouldnít be pointless.

    You still need to prove that Max actually does like Eri , and that Eri could fall for him before you can say that Eri has Max to fall back on.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Harima's feelings for Tenma haven't developed much because there isn't much room to grow from 100%. However, he has learned to be unselfish, and he has truly changed as a person in a profound way because of Tenma.
    How is Harima unselfish now? How has he changed so much since Chapter One? He still interferes with Tenmaís attempts to woo Karasuma; read Chapter 184. If Harima hasnít done so recently, itís more likely because heís been spending nearly every chapter with Eri for the past sixty chapters or so, which makes it more likely to be a sign that Kobayashi has been slowly developing Harimaís feelings for Eri recently, more so than anything for Harima.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Harima won't develop much through the Flag path. He'll just switch his affections from Tenma to Eri. Harima isn't pursuing the same "perfect vision" of Tenma; he has seen her flaws since Volume 1, recognizes them and accepts them.
    How would Harima realizing on his own that his vision of Tenma is just an illusion he creates and that Eri is actually his ideal girl not be an enormous development on his part?

    Give me some examples of Harima recognizing flaws in Tenmaís character, followed by him accepting them. Donít give me any examples where Harima recognizes flaws in Tenma, followed by him convincing himself theyíre not flaws.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Even with Worker-san, Eri was moved by Harima's apparent desire to help her break the marriage when he was really thinking of Tenma.
    Eri makes her move on Worker-san after Harima tells her his life philosophy, strongly implying that it was Harimaís character that Eri was attracted to in the temple.

    Also, you donít explain why itís acceptable for Harima to have his interest in Tenma stem from a false confession, while Eri canít.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    I agree that Max would be a convenient way to get Eri out of the way and that it wouldn't be the most satisfying way to end the story, but I think that it is still a likely outcome. It is very probable that both Shawn and Max will return in a final arc, with Shawn as the evil contender for Eri and final boss for Harima. With Max's defeat by Harima (which in shonen manga tradition will convert him to a good guy) and his suggested feelings for and past with Eri, I expect him to turn on Shawn and fight him for Eri.
    Prove that Max actually likes Eri before you go off writing the ending of the series.

    Also, you didnít say why itís all right for Max to literally attack Harima out of jealousy (if he even did) and why it isnít okay for Eri to simply give Tenma a cold shoulder when sheís jealous of her.

    Moreover, if you admit that Eri ending up with Max is what would be considered an unsatisfying ending, why wouldnít Kobayashi realize this and avoid this unsatisfying ending?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    It has become more important recently, but that has been to build up to the grand showdown of Flag vs. Oudou. Eri, not Karasuma, is the biggest threat to Oudou because she is a developed character instead of a glorified plot device. Flag needed a lot of development to push Eri to the point where she is willing to fight for Harima even after she learned that Harima loves someone else.
    Why should Odou win this grand showdown, and not Flag? If Odou wins, both Eri and Tenma have to give up on their love interests. If Flag wins, only Harima needs to, and heís already showing signs that heís developing an interest in Eri. Why shouldnít Kobayashi go for an ending that rewards the largest number of main characters and satisfies the largest number of readers?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Harima didn't selfishly impose himself onto Tenma. He was truly sorry for what he had done and tried to comfort Tenma in an instinctive way. You make it sound like he deliberately took advantage of her saddened state. And I trust Yakumo's perceptions of Harima and Tenma more than any other character. Her "ideal view" of Harima is like Tenma's ideal view of Eri; if Harima fails to live up to it, that is a Bad Thing and will hopefully be corrected. So Harima may waver in his feelings in the future only to return to Tenma in the end, just as Eri is really a good person even if she is treating Tenma terribly right now.
    He hurt Tenmaís feelings by destroying her gift, and then selfishly satisfies himself by hugging her. Iím not claiming that he took advantage of her, just that he selfishly put his needs above hers, and showed zero empathy to her.

    How is Harima not living up to Yakumoís ideal view bad? Other than the fact it will obliterate an Odou ending.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Harima acts unnaturally around Tenma when he is trying too hard to impress her. However, he usually acts normal around her.
    Harima normally spends his time around Tenma trying to impress her. Hence, normally he acts unnatural around her.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    I'm not certain that Max will end up with Eri. I'm completely positive that Tougou won't pair off with Tenma because he's a distant third behind Harima and Karasuma.
    What if Tougou becomes a main character, and steals Tenmaís heart? I agree thatís improbable, but itís just as improbable for Max to become a main character and entice Eri.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    But Eri hasn't made Harima the focus of her life in the way that Harima has done with Tenma. Until recently, she's been very hesitant to pursue him.
    How isnít Harima the focus of Eriís life right now? So what if she was hesitant to pursue Harima before? I find Eriís feelings to be much more real because she was so hesitant to love him. Harima instant decision to love Tenma feels fake because he made it so quickly without getting to know Tenma at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    That would be a very boring way to resolve the story. Stories thrive on conflict. Flag is necessary because it is the only pairing that really threatens Oudou (and vice versa).
    Flag has a monopoly on conflict, and I made a post shortly before this one where I mention several methods Kobayashi could be using right now to increase tension for Flag. There isnít really a sense of massive conflict for Odou right now since Kobayashi has been focusing on Flag the past sixty chapters.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Usually at the ends of stories of unrequited love, there is a period of role reversal when the target person finally starts to return feelings when it seems that it is too late. So for a satisfactory resolution, there should be a period when either Tenma starts to fall for Harima while Harima seems to have moved on (with Eri) or Harima starts to fall for Eri while Eri seems to have moved on (with Shawn?).
    You describe a common scenario in romantic comedies, and itís more likely Eri will be the one to appear to move on at the moment, since sheís appeared to move on a few times in the series while Harima has not.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    It would be a huge stretch. The buildup of Flag has been too uneven. Harima should be showing increasing signs of attraction to Eri, but his behavior has been static for a long time. If Harima suddenly changed, it would be a copout. I would also dislike it if Tenma suddenly changed. There needs to be a transition period after Harima and Tenma learn the truth.
    Harima has been showing signs of attraction to Eri. Read Chapters 197 and 209 again. Itís not too much, but itís more of a change than Tenma has been making in liking Harima romantically.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    That's just terrible. The whole point of having a rival completely out of the hero's league is to make the hero's triumph all the greater when he finally wins. The point of Harima having another rival is to allow for amusing situations and character development; see Hanai and Harima's rivalry with him. And Eri's rivalry with Tenma is only a problem because Eri is taking it very personally even though Tenma is her best friend; Harima has become quite friendly with Karasuma in comparison.
    So, why is Harima avoiding Karasuma, if thatís his ultimate rival, and fighting Shawn at the end of your fanfic?

    If Harima can develop through rivalries, why canít Eri? Thereís massive potential for her to develop by overcoming her dispute with Tenma. Mainly because sheís taking it so personally. Thereís still a double-standard in your reasoning, here.
    Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

  5. #195
    -Ajax- is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Hmm i sincerely hope Neo keeps posting, i like seeing both of your POVs

    Eri makes her move on Worker-san after Harima tells her his life philosophy, strongly implying that it was Harima’s character that Eri was attracted to in the temple.
    This is true, and its been brought up more than once lol

    He hurt Tenma’s feelings by destroying her gift, and then selfishly satisfies himself by hugging her. I’m not claiming that he took advantage of her, just that he selfishly put his needs above hers, and showed zero empathy to her
    I don't know if it was a selfish act, Harima hugging Tenma, it felt more like he was genuinely trying to comfort her because he didn't know any other way to do it.


    Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Usually at the ends of stories of unrequited love, there is a period of role reversal when the target person finally starts to return feelings when it seems that it is too late. So for a satisfactory resolution, there should be a period when either Tenma starts to fall for Harima while Harima seems to have moved on (with Eri) or Harima starts to fall for Eri while Eri seems to have moved on (with Shawn?).
    Oh Jesus ive seen those happen before, id go crazy if that happened. Such a melancholic ending for a comedy.

  6. #196
    ultraness is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Ajax- View Post
    This is true, and its been brought up more than once lol
    It was probably me that mentioned it before.

    Quote Originally Posted by -Ajax- View Post
    I don't know if it was a selfish act, Harima hugging Tenma, it felt more like he was genuinely trying to comfort her because he didn't know any other way to do it.
    Perhaps calling it selfish is a bit extreme, but Harimaís first action after destroying Tenmaís gift is to salvage his own relationship with Tenma, not hers with Karasuma. Putting his goal above Tenmaís is selfish, and Harima has been doing this regularly since the beginning of the series. Eriís guilty of doing this right now, too, but she has given up her own happiness in order for Harima to be happy in the past (the Play arc), so sheís more likely to do so again than Harima is of changing his ways at the moment.

    But my main problem with Harima in this scene is his inability to find a way to comfort Tenma. After Tenma runs away after Harima destroys her present for Karasuma, sheís not going to want a hug from him, evident from Tenma screaming and running away from him after he hugs her. Itís this lack of understanding of Tenma thatís my main issue with Harima.

    Compare this to Eri and Harima, who usually have no trouble comforting each other. For example, Harima begins his interactions with Eri by consoling her after her father snubs Eri. From Eriís side, she comforts Harima when heís feeling down at the end of the Sports Festival, and so on.
    Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

  7. #197
    NeoSapien is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    If you want to stop this discussion, donít reply to this post; I havenít gotten to the point where Iíll agree to disagree yet, and Iím not going ready to stop any time soon. Besides, the time until Chapter 210 passes much quicker if Iím disagreeing with you. These forums exist so people like me can disagree with people like you, and vice versa.
    Hmm... I guess I'll reply to some of this. I'm not interested in defending Max/Eri or my own speculations on how School Rumble could end. Also, arguments about which couple is preferable based on amount of development, perceived compatibility and number of characters paired off at the end always go around in circles.

    How about clarifying what position youíre in regarding your favorite pairings? I donít recall you ever saying what they are. I like to know these sorts of things about people.
    Usually I support the pairings that I think are really going to become canon. So to that end, I support Tenma/Harima, Hanai/Mikoto, Karen/Imadori, and maybe Tae/Tani-sensei, especially if she's Yuri-ppe. For me, most of the fun comes in recognizing which couples will actually happen, and in the process I also identify why they work and why I like them. However, I don't always like the pairings I predict.

    For instance, I now have mixed feelings towards Hanai/Mikoto since it's a stereotypical childhood friends pairing, it seems a little contrived by how everyone assumes they will be together while Hanai and Mikoto haven't shown very much romantic stuff towards each other, and other pairings for Hanai are more interesting (especially Hanai/Akira). However, I still think it's overwhelmingly likely and I do hope it happens, since Hanai and Mikoto do really care about each other and chapter b08 was very sweet.

    I did like Asou/Sara slightly once, but I dropped it in favor of the much more intriguing Yakumo/Sara. My favorite bit of support for it (outside of b3 is chapter 187, page 17. One of Yakumo's friends jokes, "Yakumo, marry me!" to which Sara responds, "No way! Yakumo is mine!" And the sidetext on that page is, "Incidentally, Sara has been staying over recently...", which is a very suspicious thing to say on that particular page.

  8. #198
    ultraness is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Hmm... I guess I'll reply to some of this. I'm not interested in defending Max/Eri or my own speculations on how School Rumble could end. Also, arguments about which couple is preferable based on amount of development, perceived compatibility and number of characters paired off at the end always go around in circles.
    I thought we were talking about the probability of factions occurring, not which was preferable, even though I think I brought up Flag's popularity as a reason for it to be more likely to occur.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    Usually I support the pairings that I think are really going to become canon. So to that end, I support Tenma/Harima, Hanai/Mikoto, Karen/Imadori, and maybe Tae/Tani-sensei, especially if she's Yuri-ppe. For me, most of the fun comes in recognizing which couples will actually happen, and in the process I also identify why they work and why I like them. However, I don't always like the pairings I predict.
    I'm like this, too, except I only care about the pairing I perceive as the most important--the main canon couple. In the case of School Rumble, I consider it to be Flag.
    Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

  9. #199
    -Ajax- is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    For instance, I now have mixed feelings towards Hanai/Mikoto since it's a stereotypical childhood friends pairing, it seems a little contrived by how everyone assumes they will be together while Hanai and Mikoto haven't shown very much romantic stuff towards each other, and other pairings for Hanai are more interesting (especially Hanai/Akira). However, I still think it's overwhelmingly likely and I do hope it happens, since Hanai and Mikoto do really care about each other and chapter b08 was very sweet.
    I actually like Mikoto/Hanai, i think its more like they haven't noticed how much they like each other. Though Hanai/Yuki is also another one of my favorites... double glasses pairing, very cute.

    I did like Asou/Sara slightly once, but I dropped it in favor of the much more intriguing Yakumo/Sara. My favorite bit of support for it (outside of b3 is chapter 187, page 17. One of Yakumo's friends jokes, "Yakumo, marry me!" to which Sara responds, "No way! Yakumo is mine!" And the sidetext on that page is, "Incidentally, Sara has been staying over recently...", which is a very suspicious thing to say on that particular page.
    S-S-Sara w-with Yakumo??! *nosebleed x10*
    lol but really i can't see that...she...nun...forbidden love


    I'm like this, too, except I only care about the pairing I perceive as the most important--the main canon couple. In the case of School Rumble, I consider it to be Flag.
    Its the underdog status of Flag that attracts me to it, at least of its former status, right now its a big contender. Not to mention Eri's chracter development that has won me over.

 

 
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79