Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. #11
    ducttaperofdoom is offline Senior Member Well Known
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    ... ...? ...! ...? ...
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FraChan
    Well, it could be..but I don't think so. He looks more like a foe.
    Anyway the Japanese have R, they don't have L instead. (How could they pronunce "Hiroshima" or "Arigatou" :P)

    I think that are the Chinese the ones that can't pronunce R.
    Are you fucking stupid? It's not that we CAN'T pronounce, we just don't have any characters using the letter R.

    Japanese people don't use the 'r' sound. If you listen closely I'm pretty sure they say "li" when it's "ri" and "le" when it's "re".

    Just because something is written the same way doesn't mean it's pronounced the same way. English isn't the only language in the world.

  2. #12
    shautieh's Avatar
    shautieh is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Skipea
    Posts
    5,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducttaperofdoom
    Just because something is written the same way doesn't mean it's pronounced the same way. English isn't the only language in the world.
    it's always good to remind that for those who tend to forget it ^^

    and i agree with japochoboi, dragon is not/can't be a member of the shichibukai...
    for those who think that, just re-read the manga, again.. or look it up in this forum somewhere, i'm sure it has been discussed .?..

  3. #13
    XP_OMG11 is offline Senior Member Well Known
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducttaperofdoom
    Quote Originally Posted by FraChan
    Well, it could be..but I don't think so. He looks more like a foe.
    Anyway the Japanese have R, they don't have L instead. (How could they pronunce "Hiroshima" or "Arigatou" :P)

    I think that are the Chinese the ones that can't pronunce R.
    Are you fucking stupid? It's not that we CAN'T pronounce, we just don't have any characters using the letter R.

    Japanese people don't use the 'r' sound. If you listen closely I'm pretty sure they say "li" when it's "ri" and "le" when it's "re".

    Just because something is written the same way doesn't mean it's pronounced the same way. English isn't the only language in the world.
    So according to FraChan, I can't pronounce my R's?

  4. #14
    SiIverD is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lost in the Grand line
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard
    Wasnt there said that Dragon was Gold Rogers former crewmate? I heard it somewhere and I am not sure if it was in manga or a speculation on some OP forum.
    Actually, IT's in the OP forum. And all those are theory. So far we don't know much about Dragon yet.

  5. #15
    ducttaperofdoom is offline Senior Member Well Known
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    ... ...? ...! ...? ...
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Apparently I can't either.

    Guess I should change it to Apparlently I can't eithel.

  6. #16
    burningman is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    525

    Default

    If Dragon is wanted by the world government so badly why didn't smoker stop him in rogue town?


    Mysterious, no?

  7. #17
    Shamgi is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Granted, they're being jerks, but you guys are taking it a bit seriously.

    It's just a language error formed from the language itself(Another such example could be there, their, and they're in English) that many of it's speakers make a mistake doing, it's not a universal rule that all Japanese people pronuce their l's as r's or whatever.

  8. #18
    shautieh's Avatar
    shautieh is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Skipea
    Posts
    5,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burningman
    If Dragon is wanted by the world government so badly why didn't smoker stop him in rogue town?
    because he is too weak ?

    he didn't want to mess with dragon at least

  9. #19
    marek14 is offline Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    77

    Default

    AFAIK, "r" and "l" in Japanese are allophones, i.e. different manifestations of the same basic phoneme. This means you can pronounce one or other, but this change will never have any effect on the meaning of words.

    This has a second side, too: if a language has allophones, chances are that native speakers won't be able to differ between them, the same way as most of English speakers would have hard time differing between, say, different varieties of "l", as they occur in some Slavic languages.

    Add to that the fact that what is actually PRONOUNCED is quite often neither pure "l" nor "r", but a consonant somewhere inbetween. The transcription is one thing, but the actual pronunciation is another.

    (and after all, English speakers seem to not pronounce "r" right either - it's one of the weakest consonants in English, often disappearing and leaving just the uncertain schwa in its place. When Japanese actually pronounce "r", it seems to be close to the one I am familiar with - rich vibrant that can leave your tongue numb if you say it for more than ten seconds in one breath )

  10. #20
    KoTa is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Win[g
    ed]hmm... maybe you're right "D Ragon"

    Quote Originally Posted by KoTa
    This is a good point. In fact Smoker says that the government wants his head.
    When did smoker says that?
    I only remembered that many country wants his head not govermet! (when vivi's father made a confresion)
    When Dragon saves Rufy in rogue town, Smoker says that words.

 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162