Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49
  1. #21
    Shura30 is offline Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xaturas
    Btw isnt it Gol D Roger not Gold Roger ???
    in the ita shitty translation he's called

    Gold D roger

    -_-

  2. #22
    Shamgi is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shura30
    Quote Originally Posted by xaturas
    Btw isnt it Gol D Roger not Gold Roger ???
    in the ita shitty translation he's called

    Gold D roger

    -_-
    Watch the anime eps. It's pretty easy to hear Gol D Rodger, and not Gold.

  3. #23
    shautieh's Avatar
    shautieh is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Skipea
    Posts
    5,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shamgi
    Quote Originally Posted by Shura30
    Quote Originally Posted by xaturas
    Btw isnt it Gol D Roger not Gold Roger ???
    in the ita shitty translation he's called

    Gold D roger

    -_-
    Watch the anime eps. It's pretty easy to hear Gol D Rodger, and not Gold.
    i'm for Gol D Roger too ^^"

    and for luffy, i may understand that it comes from ruffian, even if i don't give a shit as ruffian means nothng in my language
    luffy is good for me >.>

    and for zoro, yes it's more or less pronounced zolo in japanese... BUT i think it's clear enought that the name comes from zorro (you know, the guy with the black cape), so zorro would be better.. -_-
    don't remember how it is in the french version... maybe it's indeed zorro...

  4. #24
    Shamgi is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    461

    Default

    I should note that purists always get under my skin because they are, without an exception, idiots.

    Culture differences means things get changed, for good or for worse, it's a given for everything. I found the American volumes to be pretty well written and expressive, if they were changed from what the subbers have for the dialog, then I'd have to say I perfer the American ones.

  5. #25
    uhawwwokwwww is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    even i dont know
    Posts
    912

    Default

    ok, this should clarify the gold d roger and gol d roger thingy

    in OP, blue and OP manga, it say:
    "ゴールド・ロジャー" read go-rudo, rojya- roughtly translate in english, gold roger.

    now if it were to be gol d roger. it would say:
    "ゴール・ロジャー" read go-ru, rojya- this here would make it gol roger.

    if it was to be gol d roger. oda wouldnt have written the name like the first one.

    うはwwwおkwwww!

  6. #26
    FoxD is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Plock in Poland
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shautieh
    example : in french, usopp == pipo...
    you can think, WTF ??!! ... but actually it makes sense as pipo=lies,
    Please don't call Usopp Pipo. In polish pipa means pussy. That would be rather anoying for me to call him that

  7. #27
    shautieh's Avatar
    shautieh is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Skipea
    Posts
    5,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxD
    Quote Originally Posted by shautieh
    example : in french, usopp == pipo...
    you can think, WTF ??!! ... but actually it makes sense as pipo=lies,
    Please don't call Usopp Pipo. In polish pipa means pussy. That would be rather anoying for me to call him that
    lol ^^
    just don't buy french volumes and there won't be any problems

  8. #28
    MonkeyDLuffysj is offline Banned Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Muffinland
    Posts
    757

    Default

    Dude, don't be a dick. Its the damn translation. Just because French Ussop=Pipo, and pipA=pussy in (your) language, doesn't mean you need to be a bitch. Besides, people are free to use language on this forum although it is advised not to. Anyways, this Gold Rodger stuff is bullshit. I'm sorry to say so, but first of all, it is (I will clarify) Gold Rodger. There is no argument. Some dick probably threw that D into the middle of his name so that they could say he is related to Luffy. Also, pronunciations do not equate to spelling. Example=silent consonates. Luffy is pronounced Rufi, but that doesn't change the spelling. The bounty posters in the Japanese manga clearly show that Luffy's name is:
    Monkey D Luffy.

    Oh, and thanks Uhawokkkkkkkk for being the only person on here to actually bother to say something coherent, rather than simply put "The shitastic American anime calls him ______ (insert character and crappy name here), so I am right!". First of all, American anime is one of the biggest disgraces I have ever seen, emphasis on Fox box and kids WB. Adult Swim is working on making their quality better, even though they still have that milk chan crap. Anyways, lets cut the bullshit, guys. Nobody cares if you say something close to pussy in your language. Besides, it's not even meant that way, so who the hell should care?

    When you say, "Estoy Embarazado", in Spanish, it sounds like you are saying "I am embarassed". In reality, you are saying, "I am pregnant". Things aren't always as they seem.

  9. #29
    hisato is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1

    Default

    there is no 'L' in nihongo. most of the japanese can't pronounce the letter 'L'. so most of the time the pronounce 'L' as 'R', like 'blame' as 'brame'.

    so that's why 'Luffy' is pronounced as 'Ruffy' in the anime. but still in manga it is written as 'Luffy'. This kind of thing always happened in manga and anime.

    as for the pirate king, the real name is Gol D. Roger. but the people in the One Piece world mistakenly called him Gold Roger. probably because the word gold is synonym with the pirate. i got this from what Dr Kureha in the Drum Island said.

  10. #30
    MonkeyDLuffysj is offline Banned Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Muffinland
    Posts
    757

    Default

    Saying that Japanese can't pronounce the letter L is just a stereotype. Lots of Americans have trouble pronouncing the Spanish double r's, and the n with a tilde over it, that doesn't mean that they can't pronounce it. The only reason the Japanese don't pronounce L's is because their language has no equivalent. In fact, the japanese language isn't structured with an alphabet the way ours is......they have their 5 vowel pronunciations (Ah-a Ee-i Ooh-u Eh-e Oh-o) and they add those sounds to the different consonates, i.e. (w+ah=wa)+(t+ah=Ta)+(Sh+ee=shi)=watashi

    There ya go!

 

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79