^ sarutobi was hailed as the God of all ninja after all......
Madara/Tobi: I'm still waiting for more proof as to whether he really is uchiha Madara. No comment.
Harashirama Senjuu/Shodaime hokage: Madara was afraid of and admired the guy. That should say something.
Nagato/Pain:Though pain could nuke villages.....when it came down to it, I wasn't very impressed with his abilities. I felt Kishi ripped us off there with all the hype of the rinnengan's abilities, when pain's fighting style was mostly the work of gedo mazo/sealing statue.
it would be itachi, the 4th or the First, I wont count pain since his power was beyond godly :/ revival jutsu ftw :/
Itachi.. was really Godly, had many jutsus and had alot of secret weapons, amuratsu (sp?) was enough to take down madara, and he even admitted it that if he wasnt prepared it would have killed him, so that may mean that 2 direct shots of it, could have killed him (but that is speculation)...
The 4th... well out of sheer speed, hard to fight someone who cant be caught. If I remember right, didnt the 3rd say that the 4th could protect the village better ..while orochimaru was invading ? ( i cant remember if it was the anime or the manga that had that, i really should find it in the manga but i am too lazy)
I still think Asuma was a kool character..why O why did he have to die...
^ He had to die so that Shikamaru would be more responsible and grow up??
Strongest1: Madara - he's survived everything so far + manipulates people
Strongest2: 1st Hokage(Hashirama?)
Strongest3: 4th Hokage - Naruto's Dad
->Kakashi, Sasuke, Naruto, 8 tails(Bee?), Raikage/other Kages/Tsunade, Jiraiya & Orocchimaru--then Deidara, Sasori/Other Akatsuki, then Kimimaro,
-> Sakura for most useless
-> Anko & Konan for hottest
-> Danzo for most disgusting, his arm actually made me squirm a little
You think Minato is more powerful than Nagato?
un-perfected teleportation jutsu, rasengan, and powerful sealing jutsu vs the ability to take/return souls at will, master all 5 elements, destroy a village in an instant, create a miniature moon almost capable of housing the kyubi, control 6 paths, etc.
Minato took on the Kyuubi.....Nagato took on Naruto(given - with a lot of help, had already used a nuke jutsu-and a few more later) ...but nagato's defeat to naruto made him look weak to me, i was expecting more fight from him
Really before we start flaming, its pretty obvious that all these mentioned have different powers and can be deemed most powerful in their specialties, all the Hokages have different abilities, though at a push, I'd say the 2nd would be weakest, just because we only know he was the 1st's brother and 3rd can pwn him, even though 2nd originally taught him.
Itachi and Kimimaro were powerful but we never see them fight all out and in perfect health. I'd still say Itachi was more powerful than Sasuke, as he only beat Itachi because of sentimentality. If it wasnt him and Itachi wasnt dying, he'd own.
Nagato had god-like jutsu
Madara is pretty immortal but no longer in his prime (so hes more tough than strong; these are two different things) because of the 1st (who Madara outlives anyway).
I'm not mentioning the other Kages as I havent seen enough from all to get opinion, though there has to be some equality or one would dominate the others surely?
We know legends like Rokudo, Madara and the Yondaime only by reputation; we've never actually seen any showings from them so it wouldn't exactly be fair to compare them to the younger characters.
Of the ninjas we've seen in action, I'll just list the ones that are still alive based on their past showings:
1. Madara: All we've seen him do so far is teleport and suck people into another dimension. Not the most visually impressive, but from what we've seen his attack can't be countered and he himself is impervious to harm. With that repertoire he can beat anyone given enough time.
2. Killer Bee: Almost as powerful as the Kyuubi and in complete control of that power. It's pretty much impossible for any ninja to match his power with power given chakra limitations and so on. Unless they steal his chakra, but with Samehada that's one of his tricks now.
3. Sasuke: All it takes is a little logical thinking: to begin with he's a top-tier genjutsu user, a master of diverse elemental ninjutsu(even if these days he tends to forget that fact), superhumanly fast, and to top it off wields a super-sharp lightning sword. We're talking about the ideal ninja here. Oh yeah: and there's still the Mangekyo to account for.
4. Raikage: His lack of any spectacular mass-destruction jutsus stands out among the Kages, but being able to move so fast that even the Sharingan can't see you is a very effective way to avoid any form of ninjutsu or genjutsu. The lightning-enhanced taijutsu is the icing on the cake.
5. Mizukage/Gaara: It's a toss-up between the two. On one hand Mizukage's acid/lava techniques have a lot more offensive power but Gaara's sand is a lot more versatile. He be ranked higher if he still had the Shukaku.
6. Naruto: Surprised to see him this low? To be honest I wasn't entirely sure he even belonged this high. Again, logical thinking; despite the periodic verbal hype that puts him on Kakashi/Yondaime/Sasuke's level, his only real weapon against high-level opponents is Sage Mode. He can only use Rasensuriken in Sage Mode. He has super speed, strength and durability only in Sage Mode. So he can go toe-to-toe with the best, but only for a few minutes. After that he's Special Jounin level at best, with a single attack jutsu(Rasengan) that's not very hard to counter and an army of Shadow clones that would be mere fodder for any powerful ninja. I refuse to factor in the Kyuubi because for him it's more hindrance than help.
7. Kakashi: He's essentially a weaker version of Sasuke(which is ironic since Sasuke started out like a weaker version of him). He's well-learned in all the ninja arts, but thanks to chakra limitations(and poor writing) he's rarely seen using anything other than Raikiri or the odd dojutsu. Hmm, wouldn't making him Hokage make Konoha look weak to the other Kages?
8. From here you could include Yamato and the bodyguards of the various Kages.
Whew. Took me half an hour to type.
I pretty much agree with The Witcher.