Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Tousen is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On the other side of your screen. Come on over.
    Posts
    493

    Default Kishimoto at the movies

    I often wonder where Kishimoto gets his ideas for Narutop storylines. After reading chapter 369 (About Pain) I am convinced that Kishimoto has been watching one of my favorite movies. It happened during Jirayas interrogation the lackey ninja. He started describing Pains ruthlessness (Heart of Blades). He started talking about what Pain did to Hanzou and everyone connected to him I had only one thought....

    Keyser Söze

    Thats right...Keyser Söze. The mysterious crime boss from one of the greatest movies EVER "The Usual Suspects". If you have not seen that movie before I strongly suggest you watch it. It's a great movie, a classic in every respect. The similarities between the two character are too eerie to be just coincidence.

    Keyser controls a powerful criminal organization...Pain controls a village
    Keyser uses a special group of criminals....Pain uses Akatsuki
    Keyser runs things from the shadows, unseen....Pain does the same
    Keyser is an unreal legend....Pain is seen as a god

    What clinched it for me is that the description of what Pain does to Hanzou is basically a photocopy of what Keyser Söze does to the Hungarians who cross him. Kishimoto obviously wanted to pay homage to this 1995 classic so he "borrowed" heavily to create a super bad ass character.

  2. #2
    sakura_hana is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    over there!
    Posts
    2,717

    Default

    well, this is really simple:
    if you were a mangaka, writer etc etc you HAD to get your ideas from somewhere. i don't know if this really is the case but don't think kishimoto just had a dream one night about naruto and the akatsuki and in the morning thought: ooh, i should draw this..
    i haven't seen this movie but it might well be his source of inspiration

  3. #3
    Raszagal is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fort Europa
    Posts
    4,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tousen View Post
    I often wonder where Kishimoto gets his ideas for Narutop storylines. After reading chapter 369 (About Pain) I am convinced that Kishimoto has been watching one of my favorite movies. It happened during Jirayas interrogation the lackey ninja. He started describing Pains ruthlessness (Heart of Blades). He started talking about what Pain did to Hanzou and everyone connected to him I had only one thought....

    Keyser Söze

    Thats right...Keyser Söze. The mysterious crime boss from one of the greatest movies EVER "The Usual Suspects". If you have not seen that movie before I strongly suggest you watch it. It's a great movie, a classic in every respect. The similarities between the two character are too eerie to be just coincidence.

    Keyser controls a powerful criminal organization...Pain controls a village
    Keyser uses a special group of criminals....Pain uses Akatsuki
    Keyser runs things from the shadows, unseen....Pain does the same
    Keyser is an unreal legend....Pain is seen as a god

    What clinched it for me is that the description of what Pain does to Hanzou is basically a photocopy of what Keyser Söze does to the Hungarians who cross him. Kishimoto obviously wanted to pay homage to this 1995 classic so he "borrowed" heavily to create a super bad ass character.
    It would fit more with Tobi since he was discovered to be the leader, like in The Usual Suspects where "shock" it was Keyser...(love dat movie SOOO much!!)

    But your right, it does seem very similer, and I doesn't have a problem that Kishi borrow some plot lines or story here and there...It just makes the manga that much better...

  4. #4
    Ryoga-san is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_hana View Post
    well, this is really simple:
    if you were a mangaka, writer etc etc you HAD to get your ideas from somewhere. i don't know if this really is the case but don't think kishimoto just had a dream one night about naruto and the akatsuki and in the morning thought: ooh, i should draw this..
    i haven't seen this movie but it might well be his source of inspiration
    I suppose you aren't a writer or whatever either? If you were, you'd know that there are lots of things (other than plagiarism) that will modify your story. First of all, we have genres. We have themes and underlying messages. We have creative thinking that has been influenced by society, music, novels, books, tv, etc. If you have decided your genre and theme, you will be influenced by other works within the same genre unconsciously. If you later find out that you have reached something too similiar to another work, you try to modify it into originality by adding more of your influences and creative thinking. You don't have to get your ideas from somewhere. The ideas are automatically built up in your mind from influences you unconsciously get from outer sources.

  5. #5
    Tousen is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On the other side of your screen. Come on over.
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raszagal View Post
    It would fit more with Tobi since he was discovered to be the leader, like in The Usual Suspects where "shock" it was Keyser...(love dat movie SOOO much!!)

    But your right, it does seem very similer, and I doesn't have a problem that Kishi borrow some plot lines or story here and there...It just makes the manga that much better...
    I think I did mention the Tobi/Madara, Verbal Kent/Keyser Soser thing in another thread. Problem is that I can't remember if it was on this forum or not....

    I have no problem with him getting influenced by that movie (if it really is the case). Everyone is influenced by something that came before. If we did not allow ourselves to be influenced by the ideas of others and everything had to be completely "original" then the world would probably stop. But I like the way it was mixed in (if that was his intention).

    Now all I need are some references to "Shawshank Redemption" and I'll be satisfied lol. Maybe an old black ninja becoming Narutos teacher and helping to prevent him from getting anally raped by a group of queer ninjas during the next chunnin exam lol.

    Queer Nins: Them there wiskers are awful pretty, boy...
    Naruto: No way! You wont get into my butt hole again. BELIEVE IT!!!!

  6. #6
    Raszagal is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fort Europa
    Posts
    4,067

    Default

    Nothing is completly original, like the Star Wars movies. (4-5-6) Lucas were inspired by some samurai movies when he made Star wars and some of the charecters..I think it was a movie by Akira, hidden fortress or something. But I think its a great that the people making these movies/manga or whatever, gets inspired by other peoples work. (unless they totally rip it off in a tasteless and uncanny way -_-)

  7. #7
    maxximus cree is offline Senior Member Well Known
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Posts
    348

    Default

    there may be no original idea. just variations of older ones and so on and so forth...
    (\_/)
    (°_°)
    (> <) <- This is Bunny(YAY BUNNY!!!). Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
    VIVA WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!
    VIVA MONSTER UNION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  8. #8
    Jyuu's Avatar
    Jyuu is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,689

    Default

    Kishimoto in the toilet.
    Constipating.
    Getting ideas on how to draw Naruto's stupid facial expressions.
    Yeah, constipation is funky just like that.

  9. #9
    maxximus cree is offline Senior Member Well Known
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Posts
    348

    Default

    ^dang i thought i was the only one who thought that!!!! ^_^
    (\_/)
    (°_°)
    (> <) <- This is Bunny(YAY BUNNY!!!). Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
    VIVA WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!
    VIVA MONSTER UNION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    sakura_hana is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    over there!
    Posts
    2,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryoga-san View Post
    I suppose you aren't a writer or whatever either? If you were, you'd know that there are lots of things (other than plagiarism) that will modify your story. First of all, we have genres. We have themes and underlying messages. We have creative thinking that has been influenced by society, music, novels, books, tv, etc. If you have decided your genre and theme, you will be influenced by other works within the same genre unconsciously. If you later find out that you have reached something too similiar to another work, you try to modify it into originality by adding more of your influences and creative thinking. You don't have to get your ideas from somewhere. The ideas are automatically built up in your mind from influences you unconsciously get from outer sources.
    you know what you and I are saying is the same thing right? i didn't say anything about him copying that movie.
    but as you well know, even if you imagine something that you think is original you might be disappointed because someone else already had that idea before you.
    remember that comment of kishimoto's? he said he was about to do a story about a boy that learnt magic in some magic school only to find out after some time that a "so called harry potter novel" was released. he didn't read it but he dropped the project afterwards because of the huge similarity.
    today, it's almost impossible to write or invent something original, so of course you get consciously or unconsciously influenced.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79