I've been looking into the databooks and past chapters because of the "10 year ago" comment Kisame made in the previous chapter.
What I've found is pretty strange, but the reason that I added the question mark is that I've found that there is no inherent paradox, but you have to make several pretty strange conjectures to make it all work.
Here's the facts:
- Itachi became a chuuin at the age of 10 (databook 2, pg 41)
- Sasuke's flashback begins when Itachi is around 10 or 11, this can be placed by the fact that Hugaku said that "you've gotten this far in half a year since you've become a chunin" (chapter 220, pg~15).
- Sasuke's flashback extends to sometime after Itachi became an Anbu captain, which places Itachi at 13 or older (databook 2, pg 37).
- Orochimaru's flashback is unlinked in time, but both he and Itachi were in Akatsuki, as always, it's difficult to determine Itachi's age.
- Kisame's statement means that both Itachi and Orochimaru were members sometime at or before 10 years ago.
- Orochimaru said that he left Akatsuki because he could not obtain Itachi's body
Adding all this together, it means that Itachi has been a member of Akatsuki even when he was a chunin...before he gained the MS and before he became a missing nin...somehow being physically present at at least one team meeting...despite the fact that he's a 10 year old...
Or Kishimoto messed up somewhere and this is actually supposed to make sense.
Kishi mess up!
More likely we'll have a retcon after Itachi death
Kishi is making Narutoverse too detailed. But I bet he's just gonna find some way to work around with his mistakes. Wild theory but: maybe Al chose Itachi for a special reason. Itachi was training under Akatsuki during his chunin years. It could account for Itachi being very advanced at such a young age.
Nah, it could be a translation fuck up. At least I'm hoping so for the sake of Kishimoto.
Too many translations have been made for that kind of mistake. I think the facts are right. I don't think this is something that we should really dwell upon and that we'll get a more specific course of events soon enough through new chapters.
and hasnt tingled this hard since before i stopped reading Marvel XD
how is that impossible? at 10 years old Itachi's sharingan was as strong as Sasuke's now, if not stronger. If Sasuke could stop Orochimaru with his sharing, what makes you think that Itachi couldn't at 10 when his sharingan was stronger????
the fact that Kisame said 10 years ago, gives us a timeline that Itachi joined Akatsuki 3 years before massacring his clan.
In the drawing Itachi is as tall as Oro, which would be pretty weird at 10.
Kishimoto messed up this time ...he probably didnt remember the time constraints