yeah, she went back in time to stop her own personal tragedy, which would be to prevent the experiments of magic done unto her.
Originally Posted by Just.Another.Blue
Spoilers up to Chap 176
I first apologise for the wall of text.
Second, if you have not read up to Chap 176, there will be spoilers.
I'd like to offer my theory on the Thousand Master, but before that, it's methodological to summarize what information we have first:
1. Nagi is still alive (Alberio's pactio card is still active - Vol 18 Chap 163)
2. Nagi became famous after a war 20 years ago at age 15. He had a group of highly skilled companions after the war.
3. Nagi disappeared 10 years ago.
4. Negi saw Nagi (or at least someone who appears to be Nagi and possess Nagi's signature staff) 6 years ago.
5. That someone that appeared to Negi was no Alberio (admitted by the Colonel in Vol 13 Chap 117).
6. Nagi disappeared in Istanbul (Chap 176. THIS IS SPOILER: Ayaka tells Asuna that at the records of that time Nagi went missing listed him as missing in Istanbul).
7. Asuna was under Nagi's charge at one point of time. When Nagi rescued Asuna, he had only 2 companions. (Chap 169)
8. Nagi disappeared before Gatou died. (Vol 12 Chap 100)
9. Nagi had his staff when he rescued Asuna. (Chap 169)
10. Fate Averruncus and Graf Wilhelm Josef Von Herrman are linked (Chap 174)
Evaluation of some of the above points:
- from point no.7, Asuna was rescued by Nagi probably after the Mage wars 20 years ago. Nagi did not have his full party - notably Gatou is missing - when he was rescuing Asuna. There is the possibility that the rest of the part is off somewhere doing some other stuff, but since Gatou and Takamichi actually met Asuna and Takamichi only joined Nagi after the mage wars, it would be most likely that Asuna was rescued after the mage wars. The tall chap with the sword and the boy are probably else where doing their own stuff. The wars mentioned in Chap 169 would then be referring to some other wars between two magical nations as oppose to the magical wars 20 years ago.
- Of noteworthy is that in Chap 169, Nagi says he's called the Thousand Master, a name he gained after the wars 20 years ago (will provide chapter reference when I can recall from where - otherwise this point is pure speculation). This means that the Asuna's rescue is not linked to the war 20 years ago - at least not in the sense that it is the same war. She may however be the product or victim of that war, or was used in that war as a weapon.
- Furthermore we learn that Evangeline has been under the school thingy curse for 15 years and has been stalking Nagi prior for am unknown period of time. Eva however does not learn of Asuna until Alberio told her so in Vol 18 Chap 163 at Alberio's tea party. This means that Asuna is only rescued at the very earliest 15 years ago. The war which Nagi rescued Asuna from cannot possibly be the mage wars 20 years ago. This means that Asuna has been travelling with Nagi for at the very most period of 5 years because Nagi disappeared 10 years ago.
- from point no. 8, analyzing only the flashback in Chapter 100, either Nagi's disappearance was temporal in that he was acting as a bait to draw the enemy away from Asuna, or Nagi disappeared much earlier before Gatou died. I theorize that it is the latter and Nagi's disappearance is directly linked to Asuna. Whoever was after Asuna and her powers caused Nagi's disappearance. We know that Asuna arrived at Mahora 7 years ago because Ayaka mentioned that they had been arguing with each other for 7 years in Vol 2 Chap 14 (and the started arguing with each other shortly after the moment that Asuna was introduced to the class). The 3 year gap between Nagi's disappearance 10 years ago and Asuna arrival at Mahora 7 years ago leads to me to believe that Negi was removed from Asuna's protection much earlier than the events of Chapter 100 which caused Gatou's death. Takamichi probably had to hurry to get Asuna into the protection of the Mahora academy.
- point 9 shows that the Nagi which appeared 6 years ago had already interacted with Asuna, disappeared and appeared to give Negi his staff. At which point in time, Nagi was still very much alive and very powerful. This suggests that Nagi's disappearance before Gatou's death was probably not due to some life threatening event.
- that Nagi was a magical combat prodigy suggests to me that an efficient way to combat him would be a trap-like curse as oppose to an offensive damage type strategy. Eva is a shinso vampire, and Nagi used a curse to put her down, as oppose to trying to destroy her. Likewise, even though Nagi is no regenerating monster, he had Alberio who can heal and therefore the most likely strategy used against him would be to "trap" him. It's like computer games where utility spells at higher levels (such as polymorph) tend to be more useful end game because damage spells can be negated by high HP, and using utility spells against powerful targets to remove them from battle is a better strategy than killing them.
Here's my theory proper:
Nagi is somewhere in the world still very much alive but some magical trap-like curse has been placed on him (akin to Eva's) that prevents him from long periods of simply being. In other words, Nagi is still in danger.
This danger did not reduce his fighting prowess or caused him any serious physical damage (as from 6 years ago) but severely limits his time to be in the company of others (he didn't have time to chat with Negi 6 years ago even after defeating a ton of demons and fixing Nekane's legs). Alberio is probably suffering from the same "trap" but since Nagi is much more powerful the effects are probably weaker.
Nagi's disappearance is directly linked to Asuna's history. Whoever wants Asuna caused Nagi's hardship. That someone - The Enemy - is linked to Fate and Wilhelm. Wilhelm was sent to test Asuna and Negi. He knew of Asuna's powers and was ordered to temporarily remove Negi from combat. It is probable that The Enemy wants Asuna to be an easy target and sees Negi as an obstacle to Asuna.
Fate was sent to Japan to study from Istanbul and Nagi disappeared in Istanbul, therefore I theorise that The Enemy is based somewhere in Istanbul. Nagi however need not actually be in Istanbul since he was capable of saving Negi 6 years ago even after been inflicted with whatever danger it was that was inflicted upon him 10 years ago that caused his disappearance. I further theorise that tall-dark-big-sword and boy-in-front-of-picture are The Enemy or at least seriously tangled with them. Nagi's disappearance probably has little to do with the war 20 years ago. Although I theorise that we will learn much about this war when Negi visits Mage Country. Asuna's past however would likely to be linked to that war.
Unless Akamatsu is going to pull an endless Naruto type of story telling, I theorise that Negi's trip to Wales arc will reveal Asuna's past and as well as Nagi's location or at the very least what happened to him. This will be followed by the final arc to which Negi actually finds his father, thus ending the series.
Last edited by parrywrinkle; 07-20-2007 at 09:07 AM.
parrywrinkle; for the love of god i hope your right!
may Akamatsu not do the nauroto, Detective Conan, Bleach, Inuyasha lengthy stories on us!! I think that the story should end in 2-3 years tops and then he can start a new series; its about time he finished the mysteries about Asuna and Nagi.
we already had 5 years worth of fillers!!!!!!
p.s its not that i hate MNS but, it realy drags on and gives little clues to the main story line! though it is funny....
thanks parrywrinkle for updating. but i don't think it will end within two arcs mostly because there are still a whole bunch of girls to introduce. though he may find his father i believe that the story will go on. plus do you really think that albiero is trapped on the school grounds? i interperted it he was hiding out because he has been greatly weakened.
I believe most of the girls will be merely regulated a filler chapter, kind of what Akira got in Chap 166. To wit, even regularly appearing characters such as Konoka, Ku Fei and Kaede are very two dimensional in terms of character content - as compared to the more real characters of Asuna and Evangeline, therefore I believe that Akamatsu is content to have characters that are not central to the main plots left undeveloped (in the sense of the depth of the characters and not just history of them).
But really, the only girl in Class 3-A that has not been given any sort of introduction is Zazie Rainyday... which actually leads me to believe that she would be featured prominently in Negi's actual search for his father once Negi gets information about him. Perhaps she's a citizen or an important character from a magic country that had attacked Nagi's group years back and caused his disappearance, and Negi would need her help to save his father (Zazie's white hair is a clue).
Because most of the more active girls would be travelling with Negi, I don't see a problem with ending the story in two arcs. Perhaps something might crop up in Mahora when Negi is off somewhere else and we have a mini-arc involving the characters that are left behind. Notably, Sayo and Eva cannot leave the school grounds so there might be fillers there for us. And our dear mangaka is rather good at putting in fillers every here and there as seen from the huge Mahora Festival arc.
To sum up, 2 major arcs is not a problem because if one arc was to span 10 volumes (as per Mahora Festival), we're looking at at least another 20 volumes or 160 chapters dedicated to the arc alone, not counting additional chapters in between the two arcs and mini-arcs that act as fillers.
All I know about the Thousand Master is that he is a playful person, and a very powerful wizard. He had gotten his nickname "The Thousand Master" as a result of the claim that Nagi can magnified a lot of spells a thousand times. When it come to Nagi's power, the best example of Nagi's power is the curse on Eva. Since the curse can't be broken by another wizard, Nagi is the only one who stop the curse.
Both Nagi and his son Negi are likely from a powerful Magi Clan. Finding more about Nagi is part of the series. Indeed when Negi finds his father, the series will end unless Ken decides to continue writing the series.
Last edited by takahata; 07-31-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Um i dunno about the magnified part, but hes supposed to know 1000 epells or have 1000 pactios. the curse is probably special, thats why it needs the blood of a relative or a relative to break it. AND NO THEYRE NOT FROM A CLAN!!!
Originally Posted by takahata
It is probably more appropriate to add this information here than the 180-183 Chapter discussion thread. In the newest chapters, we received a new piece of information that is easily overlooked: Anya's height.
In Volume 13 Chaper 117, during the last battle of the tournament, Alberio turned into a menagerie of chacters. But of the most important of characters Alberio turned into are Nekane and Anya. The Anya he turned into was of substantially shorted height than Negi, but in the latest chapers we see that Anya and Negi are not that much different in terms of height - even though Anya is still shorter, she is not shorter by a substantial amount. From this information we can gather that the Anya and Nekane to which Alberio turned into are Anya and Nekane from some time ago. The question then, is how long ago?
What I have not yet understand is that Alberio claimed that he was stuck under the World Tree for 10 years, so how is he able to get Anya's and Nekane's "life bookmarks". Even if the artifact does not require Alberio to actually "collect" but already has data on everyone person, how did Alberio know about Anya and Nekane, and their relationship with Negi?
Although I do not know the answers to those questions, but what is certain is that Alberio knows of the relationship of Anya and Nekane with Negi. I hypothesize that Alberio, and probably together with Nagi, at some point met Anya and Nekane. Which means that Negi might not have been left under the care of whomever in that village as a baby. Maybe he was left as a toddler around the age of Asuna. Perhaps even that Nagi lived in that village for some time with Negi, but such memory has been wiped from Negi's mind, just as Gatou was from Asuna.
holy shit dude
Originally Posted by parrywrinkle