Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    ecarret is offline Senior Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolerimmortal
    Secondly, the psychic powers. Well, the man who gave them to him would have to be Gantz. The powers themselves aren't the Weapon, however. You know that humans only use a small percentage of their brain power, right? I suspect what Gantz did was unlock more of Sakata's brain, giving him the powers. This also allowed him to grant the powers to others, so it's possible that the man who gave him the powers was a fellow Gantzer if it wasn't Gantz himself. The reason the powers damage his body is that the human body wasn't intended to use so much of its brain; it destroys the body to use the powers.
    That's a nice explanation but I don't think Gantz would be such a nice person. I mean, at the expense of one person's 100 points, this person can give everyone on the gantz team EPW. I would be thinking the EPW would be something that only allow one person to use it at a time. Not something that you can distribute to people.


    Funniest FMA thing I\'ve seen

  2. #12
    coolerimmortal is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Gantz is careless. He probably didn't intend for the EPW to be distributed; he just didn't consider that it could happen.

  3. #13
    Kagetenshi is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolerimmortal
    You know that humans only use a small percentage of their brain power, right?
    Please tell me you did not just say that.

    There's only one possible meaning in which that is true, and that's that most neurons aren't firing in any given instant.

    We have a name for what happens when the entire brain gets used at once in that sense: "grand mal seizure".

    ~J
    Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.

  4. #14
    coolerimmortal is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagetenshi
    Quote Originally Posted by coolerimmortal
    You know that humans only use a small percentage of their brain power, right?
    Please tell me you did not just say that.

    There's only one possible meaning in which that is true, and that's that most neurons aren't firing in any given instant.

    We have a name for what happens when the entire brain gets used at once in that sense: "grand mal seizure".

    ~J
    I'm not saying Gantz unlocks the entire brain; just a larger portion of it.

    I realize that gaining psychic powers is scientifically impossible, however, Gantz is full of things that are scientifically impossible.

  5. #15
    Relf is offline Senior Member Well Known
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    272

    Default

    Some of the devices the GantZers use are somewhat possible, but as for the what the Aliens use...

  6. #16
    Kagetenshi is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    560

    Default

    That's true, but the statement that humans somehow don't use all of their brains remains false any way you slice it. Snopes does a more methodical job of debunking it than I would, so I'll let them talk.

    (The reason why this is unacceptable in the manga while many other impossible or improbable things are acceptable is the idea of verisimilitude—things that are false can be added to a story successfully, but if they are not required they will always detract from it, at least for the parts of the audience who recognize their false nature. This is more theory of fiction than anything, though.)

    However, back to our main topic:

    Quote Originally Posted by coolerimmortal
    Right before the Dino mission, when he appears in Gantz the first time, Sakata taps on it and mentions having seen it before...but he isn't exactly sure where. That alone proves he has been in Gantz because non-Gantzers don't see Gantz.
    That's not proof, though—he could have been wrong, or he could have heard a description or seen a drawing of it from someone dimly remembered their time in it before getting free. I'm not saying either of that is the case, and what you say is indeed strong evidence for your view, but we shouldn't confuse that with proof.

    Secondly, the psychic powers. Well, the man who gave them to him would have to be Gantz.
    The following is the flow of your logic as I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong:

    Proposition 1: Sakata has psychic powers

    Proposition 2: The only person who could have given him psychic powers would be Gantz

    Conclusion: Therefore Sakata received psychic powers from Gantz (presumably while in the game previously and choosing Option 2)

    The problem with this is that proposition 2 is, while possible, neither demonstrated nor implied by the manga thus far. Fantastic things exist that we are given no reason to believe are the work of Gantz—vampires and aliens (and their respective powers), for example—thus eliminating any reasonable ability to attribute anything significantly out-of-the-ordinary to Gantz without further evidence.
    The powers themselves aren't the Weapon, however. You know that humans only use a small percentage of their brain power, right? I suspect what Gantz did was unlock more of Sakata's brain, giving him the powers. This also allowed him to grant the powers to others, so it's possible that the man who gave him the powers was a fellow Gantzer if it wasn't Gantz himself. The reason the powers damage his body is that the human body wasn't intended to use so much of its brain; it destroys the body to use the powers.
    You are correct that, since the powers are transferable, you can substitute another Gantzer for Gantz—but that still doesn't provide any more weight to the conclusion. It does allow your conclusion (powers came, directly or indirectly, from Gantz) to coexist with Sakata having not been in Gantz before, but we're still left with the (admittedly significant) evidence of Sakata's apparent recognition of the ball—not proof by a long shot.

    ~J
    Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.

  7. #17
    Relf is offline Senior Member Well Known
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    272

    Default

    I know and you know that we use more then 10%, but does the Oku know? :P
    That's not proof, though—he could have been wrong, or he could have heard a description or seen a drawing of it from someone dimly remembered their time in it before getting free. I'm not saying either of that is the case, and what you say is indeed strong evidence for your view, but we shouldn't confuse that with proof.
    Where and why would someone describe a 1M sized black ball that he would remember?

  8. #18
    Kagetenshi is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    560

    Default

    No clue. It's possible, but not probable—doubly so since few writers are sophisticated enough to add false (in their fictional world) or misleading information spoken by major characters. That said, even preponderance of evidence does not proof make.

    ~J
    Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.

  9. #19
    imfeelingthis is offline Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    86

    Default

    I think we should leave Sakata's mention of Gantz ball out for now, the information is too ambiguous to be used as a concrete foundation for any theory, sure he might've been a gantzer before but then again why didn't he remember his past with gantz like izumi, maybe gantz messed up then again maybe not, also he could've seen the ball from nishi's website as well.

    Oku's one cautious guy for letting the readers know that "gantz is careless" during the early chapters, that statement in itself acts as a tool/excuse to solve almost any plot hole that may manifest later on in the series..

  10. #20
    Shadowhacker is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Here's a thought what if he didn't lear it from Gantz? What if someone else really did teach him and the other person learned it from Gantz? The way he remembers seeing the ball is when the guy/girl taught him his powers she also shared some of her/his memory with him. Think about it if he chose an extreamly powerful weapon and than freedom than he wouldn't have been aloud to keep the weapon would he? Kurono didn't get anything he had from Gantz after chosing to go free so why should Sakata (sp?)? Also the gantzer than gave him his powers could have been killed for giving them and or reavailing Gantz even in just a memory form without knowledge of what Gantz was. A physic should be able to recover lost memories anyway and wouldn't it be funny if all he could remember was a freakin black ball when Izzumi (sp?) remembered parts of a hunt?

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162