SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation Delivers Intense and Authentic Modern Combat Action Only on PS3
Sony Computer Entertainment America's new Bluetooth headset to revolutionize voice chat on PS3.
October 14, 2008
- Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced the availability of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation. Developed by Slant Six Games, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation allows users to experience online combat on a global-scale made only available on the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system. SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation is available for download directly from PlayStation Network for $39.99 (SRP) and at retail, both a Blue-ray stand-alone version for $39.99 (SRP) and a bundle version for $59.99 (SRP). The bundle version of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation includes the new Official Bluetooth(R) Headset providing superior voice technology and innovative features built specifically to enhance voice chat during online multiplayer gaming. The Headset also will be available as a stand-alone peripheral for $49.99 (SRP) by early November.
Featuring a new engine built for PS3 with advanced physics, lighting and ballistics, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation will deliver the most intense and authentic high definition modern combat action. The title's focus is on online play and the global community that supports it and will feature tournaments, clan ladders, leader boards, advanced player matching and integration with SOCOM.com. Players will have the choice of playing as one of five Special Operation Forces units each with customizable facial features, camo, load outs weapons and gear.
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation features seven diverse North African environments, including a 32-player version of the most popular SOCOM map of all time "Crossroads." Gamers will have access to seven different game modes, including all previous SOCOM game types. Full support of DUALSHOCK 3 and SIXAXIS wireless controller will also offer players greater control and innovative movement. Additional themed packs containing new Special Operation Forces, weapons, maps and features will be made available for download via the PlayStation Store.
"Working with the PS3 System Software, R&D and game development teams at Sony Computer Entertainment, we made a great effort to develop the most compelling headset for the PS3 community and are excited to bring it to market with the launch of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation," said Seth Luisi, director of development, SCEA. "With the new headset, we were able to implement new game features such as proximity chat which utilizes high quality voice chat play back within the game in full surround sound with reverb and sound occlusion to match all of the sound effects and VO in the game; providing players with the most immersive voice chat experience seen in any game title."
Featuring innovative features and advances in voice technology, the Headset brings next-generation voice chat features to PS3 and expands on SCEA's legacy as one of the first companies to popularize VoIP technology within a console videogame through SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs for the PlayStation 2 system. The Headset features High-Quality (HQ) mode* which provides wide-band and dual microphone input to enable accurate speech recognition required to support "voice command" and "voice animation" features that will be offered in select games on the PS3 system. HQ mode enables high bandwidth voice recording and playback, currently not available with any other Bluetooth Headset.
The Bluetooth Headset key features include:
* High-Quality (HQ) mode enables or enhances advanced in-game features such as:
o Voice command
o Voice animation
o Proximity chat (high quality voice playback in full surround sound to match all of the sound effects and voiceovers in the game)
* Pairs automatically with the PS3 system just by connecting the Headset with a USB cable
* Exclusive PS3 on-screen indicator displays connection status, battery charge level, speaker volume level and microphone mute status at a push of a button
* Included cradle allows Headset to be used as a desktop microphone while charging
* Compact, sleek and ergonomic design fits comfortably on either ear
* Compatible with most Bluetooth enabled cell phones and audio devices
*HQ mode enables wide-band wireless voice communication with the PS3 system. It utilizes Headset's dual-microphone design to enable proprietary PS3 system based noise cancelling. HQ mode and noise cancellation features are only available on PS3, and not with other Bluetooth enabled cell phones or devices. PS3 system must be updated to System Software 2.50 to enable HQ mode.
About Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. continues to redefine the entertainment lifestyle with its PlayStation and PS one game console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, the PSP (PlayStation Portable) handheld entertainment system, the ground-breaking PlayStation 3 (PS3) computer entertainment system and its online and network services PlayStation Network and PlayStation Store.
Recognized as the undisputed industry leader, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. markets the PlayStation family of products and develops, publishes, markets and distributes software for the PS one game console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, PlayStation 3 and the PSP system for the North American market. Based in Foster City, Calif., Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.