I need to write a short documentation about the video games industry (in general) between 2000 and 2004, in order to outline what happened and thus am asking for ideas, as - as every individual - I am strongly biaised and will miss quite a few things (wikipedia will help but I would rather have some gamers personal insights).
As of now I have this skeleton :
Intro : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000s_in_video_games
IMPORTANT : the massive internet connectivity of this new generation of consoles (only the dreamcast had it before)
wireless controlers (GC)
2000 (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_in_video_gaming)
- The sims (PC, jan 31) -- yeay
* launch of the PS2 (march 4)
* death of SNK
- max Payne (PC, july 23) -- bullet time
* launch of the GBA (march 21)
- GTA 3 (PS2, oct 22) -- controversies
* launch of the game cube (sept 14)
* launch of the XBox (nov 15)
- Halo (XBox, nov 15)
- Pikmin (GC, dec 3) -- weird
* sega stops manufacturing home consoles
- MoH : AA (PC, jan 22)
- Resident Evil (GC, april 30)
- TES 3 : Morro (PC, may 2) -- nice RPG
- Warcraft 3 (PC, july 3)
- Metroid prime (GC, nov 15)
The market research company NPD estimated that video game hardware, software, and accessories sold about US$10.3 billion in 2002. This was a 10% increase over the 2001 figure.
* april 1 : official fusion of squaresoft and enix
* september : official end to the production of NES and SNES
* launch of the Nokia N-Gage (oct 7)
- PoP (PS2 - xbox - GC - PC, nov 6) -- return of plateform games
Computer games continue to lose ground to console video games with a US sales drop of 14% in 2003. (NPD) Total 2003 entertainment software sales in the United States grew slightly to $7 billion USD; console sales increased to $5.8 billion and computer games accounted for the remaining $1.2 billion.
- far cry (PC, march 23) -- beautiful
- Katamari Damacy (PS2, March 1
- Halo 2 (XBox, nov 9) -- 125 million $ on its première day => fastest selling media product in the history of the USA
- half life 2 (PC, nov 16)
* launch of the DS (nov 21)
- Wow (PC, nov 23) -- a new era was born in MMO
* launch of the PsP (dec 12)
In 2004, the total U.S. sales of video game hardware, software and accessories was $9.9 billion compared with $10 billion in 2003. Total software sales rose 8 percent over the previous year to $6.2 billion. Additionally, sales of portable software titles exceeded $1 billion for the first time. Hardware sales were down 27 percent for the year due in part to shortages during the holiday season and price reductions from all systems.
As you can see, most of the game I picked were PC games.. so if you think I have forgotten a game that revolutionnized its genre or created a new one between 2000 and 2004, please tell me (with arguments ^^)
You can also state which's the best console and why, and if you want which is the shittiest, as well as what games should never have seen light !
Any comments are welcome