Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    lucifer is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tartarus
    Posts
    178

    Default supreme commander

    Recently I saw some screenshots and reviews of supreme commander on gamespot, I must say the graphics are a real eye candy and most of the reviews of the game are good. As a fan of Warcraft 3 I am wondering if I would enjoy this game. To people who have played both the Warcraft 3 and supreme commander, I would appreciate if you could tell me some of the similarities.
    All change and evolution is redundant when death is inevitable.

  2. #2
    Jyuu's Avatar
    Jyuu is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,689

    Default

    It's nothing like Warcraft 3.

    The reason why it looks so good is because of normal mapping, which is an application of a high poly mesh over a low poly mesh and combining both, keeping the details of the high poly mesh with the number of polygons of the low poly one. Extensive normal mapping can also be seen in Gears of War (or just about any Unreal Engine 3 game).
    This Berserker is made up of far less polygons that it appears to be:

    The Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 are capable of such an amount of normal mapping, but the Wii cannot and this is why the Unreal Engine 3 won't see itself on the Wii anytime soon.

  3. #3
    yoda is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in a freezing country
    Posts
    530

    Default

    supreme commander is a very slow paced game.
    I mean you have to build your economie for like 15 mins and building armys take for ever.If you want a game like warcraft,your looking at the wrong game,supreme commander is all about huge armys and big economies and warcraft is about micromanagement.

  4. #4
    98abaile's Avatar
    98abaile is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    An Englishman in a shithole somewhere in Wales.
    Posts
    7,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jyuu View Post
    It's nothing like Warcraft 3.

    The reason why it looks so good is because of normal mapping, which is an application of a high poly mesh over a low poly mesh and combining both, keeping the details of the high poly mesh with the number of polygons of the low poly one. Extensive normal mapping can also be seen in Gears of War (or just about any Unreal Engine 3 game).
    This Berserker is made up of far less polygons that it appears to be:

    The Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 are capable of such an amount of normal mapping, but the Wii cannot and this is why the Unreal Engine 3 won't see itself on the Wii anytime soon.
    There is no higher poly mesh, normal mapping is actually similar to bump mapping (but with much greater quality and benefits (like distance indexed detail scaling)).

  5. #5
    Jyuu's Avatar
    Jyuu is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 98abaile View Post
    There is no higher poly mesh, normal mapping is actually similar to bump mapping (but with much greater quality and benefits (like distance indexed detail scaling)).
    Actually no. Read the whitepapers on some of the engines out there. The way normal mapping is implemented now (as opposed to the traditional normal mapping in games like Far Cry), the higher poly mesh is used to get the details and the lower poly mesh is used as the base mesh.

    Edit:
    A better explanation is that traditional bump mapping is just an extrapolation of bump mapping but now they use a higher poly mesh to get the details which are then added to the lower poly mesh.
    Last edited by Jyuu; 03-02-2007 at 10:45 AM.

  6. #6
    98abaile's Avatar
    98abaile is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    An Englishman in a shithole somewhere in Wales.
    Posts
    7,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jyuu View Post
    Actually no. Read the whitepapers on some of the engines out there. The way normal mapping is implemented now (as opposed to the traditional normal mapping in games like Far Cry), the higher poly mesh is used to get the details and the lower poly mesh is used as the base mesh.
    Yeah, the high poly mesh is used to get the details for the normal map which is then applied to a low poly mesh. Maps are applied much like a texture, not a mesh.
    What you said was that a high poly mesh is applied to a low poly mesh.

    EDIT: I read your edit, but thats not what you said in your first post. K?

  7. #7
    Jyuu's Avatar
    Jyuu is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,689

    Default

    Well it depends on the engine. The Unreal Engine, Cry Engine 2 and the Offset Engine (off the top of my head) can actually use the higher poly mesh itself and it is processed by the compiler.

  8. #8
    98abaile's Avatar
    98abaile is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    An Englishman in a shithole somewhere in Wales.
    Posts
    7,892

    Default

    I assume that by that you mean the compiler takes details from the HPM and creates a map from that. If so then the HPM itself is still not actually applied to the LPM, just the map created from it.

  9. #9
    lucifer is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tartarus
    Posts
    178

    Default

    So everything is large scale huh? Well thats a nice change, I always felt that I can't really execute good strategic unit movement in warcraft due to the small number of units and the number of units that can be selected. Ok so maybe I am not that good a player but more units equals more carnage. I love carnage.
    All change and evolution is redundant when death is inevitable.

  10. #10
    Jyuu's Avatar
    Jyuu is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,689

    Default

    I played a four-player game the other day and I found myself splitting my main display in halves and using that together with my secondary display to effectively manage all the units.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162