Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37
  1. #21
    coolerimmortal is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duststorm View Post
    Well you can t really call him intelligent as mello because first of all Light told Mikami that he is Kira, so it not exactly as if he figured it out. Also he thinks nowhere near the level like Light, he just understands Kira ideals and is a careful follower.
    ...

    ...

    He guessed that Light was Kira with absolutely no evidence to suggest that. That alone is impressive. Furthermore, killing Demegawa and his crew at precisely the same time Light would have, not to mention doing the exact same thing as Light when Mello kidnapped Takada...it's clear that he thinks just like Light, which implies that he must be highly intelligent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rei-kun View Post
    You can`t know, if mello isn`t more intelligent than Light and Near. Only if you know what he was thinking when he kidnapped Takada (hope i didn`t mistake the name for another one) you know. If he deducted what was going to happen, what Light and Near planned and what mikami would do, he made a brilliant move. Even though he got killed, you could say he didn`t have too many people working for him anymore, so he had to do it on his own, since he didn`t want to tell Near because of his pride.
    We know Mello isn't more intelligent than Light and Near. We know he was second to Near, and we know Near isn't as intelligent as Light.

    Besides, How To Read 13 explains all of this.

  2. #22
    jamie1990 is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,180

    Default

    I agree with most people in this thread about Mello. His actions showed him to be brash and unwise. Perhaps he was very intelligent at other things, but in terms of deductive and decision making ability he is outclassed by every other main player in the series.

    Quote Originally Posted by coolerimmortal View Post
    I'm making this argument for the thousandth time.

    L had the advantage. Look at it this way:

    a) L had the governments of the world and their combined power behind him, including their associated intelligence organizations. He could have anyone followed or recorded, he could tap phones, bug rooms, etc. This is obviously a huge resource.

    b) L didn't have to worry about getting caught. The only thing he had to do was make sure Kira didn't get his name and his face. All he had to do was capture Kira.

    c) Light had to locate and eliminate L, continue to judge the world's criminals as Kira, create a new world order, conceal his identity, all while living an already complicated life without letting anyone realize that he was up to anything. He was under an enormous amount of mental stress, it's a wonder he didn't go insane any earlier.

    d) Light's only advantage was the Death Note, which made his task of eliminating L slightly easier. Rather than having to kill L with his own hands, he could simply get L's name and face and kill him that way. That was Light's only advantage. Rem and Ryuk were slightly useful, but those advantages don't even begin to compare to L's resources.

    L's task was easier, he had more resources, and he didn't have to lead a double life. He had a massive advantage from the beginning. He lost because he was foolish enough to reveal himself to Light.

    Also, consider...L's deductions were never truly that brilliant. He took facts and drew conclusions from them. These conclusions weren't spectacular, they were frequently...obvious. He didn't create elaborate plans like Light did.

    That is why I say Light is more intelligent.
    Essentially, you are saying that L lost becaue he gave away his advantage and left himself vulnerable to Light which you see as unintelligent.

    I agree, it was. But what I don't believe you are considering or perhaps are considering at a double standard is that Deathnote is a story. It was made to entertain; it is not realistic. Both Light and L made shocking errors of judgement and as such could have played it out with a lot more wisdom (i.e. like how real detectives and terrorists operate), but then we wouldn't have a story.

    You say L could have watched from afar, but couldn't Light have also waited and observed before taking any brash decisions (such as killing Ray Penbar or hacking his dad's computer) then simply continued his normal routine as an invisible entity until the whole world accepted Kira, at which point L would have become the criminal?

    At no point did the author make any distinction between who was the more intelligent. The deciding factor in their battle was one of circumstance, not one's superior ability over the other, i.e. it could easily have gone the other way, Light simply lucked out that time. For example, where would Light have been if Misa didn't happen to be a simpleton who became his blindly devoted follower at first sight?

    I strongly think that's the conclusion you were meant to draw from it, not that Light was more intelligent just because he won.

  3. #23
    limetime is offline Senior Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    131

    Default

    mmm. I'd say that Mello is actually petty clever (remember, he was considered as a possible L successor) but he just lets his emotions get the best of him, unlike Near. I don't believe that Mello is more mentally deficient than Near-i'd say he is just as smart, if a bit too irrational.

  4. #24
    betoven is offline Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    59

    Default

    L is superior to Light

  5. #25
    pangestuh is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I would say L and Light was at least on equal standing in terms of intelligence if not Light is more intelligent. Light's mental capacity was very impressive , more than L which contributed a lot into his success. I mean he can calmly think and could get around the situation where L caught misa. and it became definite that Light was kira.

    And i would say that L was foolish in the end when he letted Light and Misa out after Higuchi was killed. Since L know it was definite that Misa was the second kira, even though other crew members force him to let them go, it was an unwise decision for him to let Misa and Light go. He could have maybe figured out that the rules of death note arent always true and test them out before letting them go.

    But, as written by some guy before (sorry) Light was too lucky to get the full devotion of Misa and already at first sight. And Rem had also supported Misa from the beginning, making light able to get use to both of them. If this were not the case, if L were to stick to his deduction that Light was Kira and doesnt let his guard down, then he would have won. Thats why i think they're on equal standing.

  6. #26
    Baron_Fowling is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7

    Default

    The hell if L was less intelligent than Light. The only reason that Light was able to "beat" L was because, one: He was immoral, and could manipulate others with an ease that L's morality prevented him from doing, and two: Light had a perfect understanding of the "wild-card", the Death Note, whereas L had to do a lot of his investigation on guesswork. Hence his constant use of probabilities.

    And in the case of superior resources, for the most part of the series, all of the resources which L had access to, Light also had access to. L was the best. I'd rank the five:

    L
    Near
    Mello
    Light
    Mikami (No idea why he's here. The guy was frothing by the end, and not much better before.)

  7. #27
    coolerimmortal is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Fowling View Post
    The hell if L was less intelligent than Light. The only reason that Light was able to "beat" L was because, one: He was immoral, and could manipulate others with an ease that L's morality prevented him from doing, and two: Light had a perfect understanding of the "wild-card", the Death Note, whereas L had to do a lot of his investigation on guesswork. Hence his constant use of probabilities.

    And in the case of superior resources, for the most part of the series, all of the resources which L had access to, Light also had access to. L was the best. I'd rank the five:

    L
    Near
    Mello
    Light
    Mikami (No idea why he's here. The guy was frothing by the end, and not much better before.)
    Jesus fucking Christ, not again!

  8. #28
    Baron_Fowling is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I'm guessing from that comment that I should have read the second page of this topic, rather than rushing to post in a huff.

  9. #29
    Yiddy is offline Senior Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    148

    Default

    For the most part, i would agree with cooler immortal..

    But Baron Fowling has a point, Which should further prove that L and Light(screw that name, i'll call him Raito), were equally intelligent.
    The point is that while Raito had knowledge of the deathbook, L had none at all. He had to make assumptions that Kira could kill simply by looking at his victim, and it wasn't till almost the very end that L got information on what was the weapon of death and how it worked.
    Now, taking this into mind, L had to rearrange his ENTIRE way of thinking about Kira everytime he got some information on the deathnote. When he first thought that he could kill by looking, he "challenged" Raito in the schoolyard or wherever it was, and after he found out nothing happened, he had to either assume Kira couldnt kill by looking at the victim(this taking in mind that he suspected Raito), or that Raito wasn't the one, in which case he would have to rearrange his entire investigation, to a point where he would have nothing...
    From Raito's point of view, to balance things out, we have him living his double-life, maintaining high grades, remaining emotionless(i think he had atleast a shred of empathy before touching the deathnote), worrying about getting caught, and worrying about how to manage Misa, and how to bring L down.

    During the ending L and Raito part of Deathnote, Raito had the general advantage, not in intelligence, but in resources. Rem and Misa. Raito also had one HUGE advantage through the whole arc.. L's morality.
    L suspected Raito VERY early, and everything in him told him that Raito was Kira, and Raito knew this, but L calculated the evidence, and thats how he got those rediculous low percentage chances for Raito to be Kira. L needed Stoneproof evidence, not just gut feeling, to prove that Raito was Kira.

    But..
    I don't think that you could put the main characters up against eachother intellectually..

    Raito had an incredible abillity to think forward, and to manipulate his surroundings.
    L had an amazing talent for mathematical probabillity and making assumptions based on few facts and evidence, and an amazing abillity to read Raito's actions.
    Near.... He's just like L, only he had the knowledge that L didnt have about the deathnote very early.. Although he has some of Raito's traits when it comes to careful planning(traits which seem to be a counter to Raito's own planning, and reckless fuckups, as when he gave himself off in the building in the end)
    Mello stands out, Having a combination of Raito's planning ahead(when he decided that he had to let himself die, to reveal Raito.. That was crazy), and a quick abillity to assume what's best for the current situation, quick thoughts, almost impulsive like.

    Forgive me if my facts arent correct but its been a long time since i've read the manga..

  10. #30
    Toukai is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Fowling View Post
    The hell if L was less intelligent than Light. The only reason that Light was able to "beat" L was because, one: He was immoral, and could manipulate others with an ease that L's morality prevented him from doing, and two: Light had a perfect understanding of the "wild-card", the Death Note, whereas L had to do a lot of his investigation on guesswork. Hence his constant use of probabilities.

    And in the case of superior resources, for the most part of the series, all of the resources which L had access to, Light also had access to. L was the best. I'd rank the five:

    L
    Near
    Mello
    Light
    Mikami (No idea why he's here. The guy was frothing by the end, and not much better before.)
    I'm sorry are you mentally retarded? How can you put Light below Mello and Near?

    He found out both their names and faces and if not for Mikami's stupidity would have killed them both. I would say Light and L are about equal, with it swinging either way depending on the time in the show.

    1. L/Light
    2.
    3.Near
    4.Mello

    No need for any below that

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162