Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    kamp is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default The end. What's all the fuss?

    Honestly, I don't understand all the fuss around the end. Honestly, the best place for the manga to end would have been right after Light finally finished beating L. Then, maybe they could have introduced Mello and Near as successors to L (you know, a kind of, struggle-stays-alive ending) and voila!

    Unfortunately, they plunged into another arc, and this time with characters I didn't think were anywhere near as compelling as L was, so it was prety obvious: the moral fiber of whoever makes story decisions overtook the common sense place to end the story. Whatever, the second arc was nice, but the ending was inevitable.

    The only problem was how to get to that ending, and the only possible way at that point was for Light to go damn near crazy. You get me, his defeat of L sort of gave him an invulnerability, a "he can't do things wrong" aura. That doesn't just disappear because someone else comes along. It had to be from within. In other words, his pride, and his confidence in the death note, had to be the ones to kill him. Near and Mello are there to apply pressure, his ever-growing pride is there to fold under it.

    Made sense to me.

  2. #2
    coolerimmortal is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    The problem was that Light was gradually dumbed down by Ohba, and by the time the story reached its conclusion, he had become a complete idiot. The only way to explain this is my theory that Near killed Light, but I admit that it's a real stretch.

    The other problem is the obvious editorial tampering. It was set up in the very first chapter that Light would become a shinigami when he died, and then we got the "Mu" thing. If there is no heaven or hell, then why the hell did Ryuk think Light's dad went to heaven? Light should have ended up a shinigami...it would be the perfect fate for him.

  3. #3
    kamp is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolerimmortal View Post
    The other problem is the obvious editorial tampering. It was set up in the very first chapter that Light would become a shinigami when he died, and then we got the "Mu" thing. If there is no heaven or hell, then why the hell did Ryuk think Light's dad went to heaven? Light should have ended up a shinigami...it would be the perfect fate for him.
    I'll admit, I never thought quite THAT deep into it. Anyway, thinking about it, Ryuk's comment makes sense even without heaven or hell. Ryuk's been in the real world (by the time of Light's dad's death) what, months? Or was it a year or so? Anyway, a while. He must have gotten used to the whole thing, gotten some of the mannerisms of humans ingrained in him, including comforting after a death in the family. I mean come on, death is all around this story he must have had seen some of that going on.

    Also, it seems like the rules against revealing anything to humans seemed pretty strict. Though, it also seemed like Ryuk knew the rules like the back of his hand, there's the off chance that telling people about no heaven or hell was against the rules, or that it slipped Ryuk's mind and he erred on the side of caution.

  4. #4
    thejudaspanda is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunny Scotland...LMFAO
    Posts
    202

    Default

    The mu thing could be a retcon or it could be representative of a few different things. One view i've seen before in fiction is that whatever you believe happens to you after death, thats what happens to you. Light being someone who believed in oblivion after death faced oblivion. Besides I'd argue that he wasn't being set up for Shinigamihood as i recall what Ryuuk said was along the lines that if you use the Death Note then you won't see heaven or hell, oblivion could be the true price of a human using the Death Note to kill.

    As for Light's confrontation with Near he was overly cocky and arrogant after defeating L, he underestimated both Near and Mello. Also unlike his scheme against L he lacked all the information and behavioural observations he gleaned from his time where L was keeping him close for observation during the early stages of the investigation as such he made a few misjudgements that bit him in the ass.

  5. #5
    coolerimmortal is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kamp View Post
    I'll admit, I never thought quite THAT deep into it. Anyway, thinking about it, Ryuk's comment makes sense even without heaven or hell. Ryuk's been in the real world (by the time of Light's dad's death) what, months? Or was it a year or so? Anyway, a while. He must have gotten used to the whole thing, gotten some of the mannerisms of humans ingrained in him, including comforting after a death in the family. I mean come on, death is all around this story he must have had seen some of that going on.

    Also, it seems like the rules against revealing anything to humans seemed pretty strict. Though, it also seemed like Ryuk knew the rules like the back of his hand, there's the off chance that telling people about no heaven or hell was against the rules, or that it slipped Ryuk's mind and he erred on the side of caution.
    He was talking to himself, though. He wasn't trying to comfort anyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by thejudaspanda View Post
    The mu thing could be a retcon or it could be representative of a few different things. One view i've seen before in fiction is that whatever you believe happens to you after death, thats what happens to you. Light being someone who believed in oblivion after death faced oblivion. Besides I'd argue that he wasn't being set up for Shinigamihood as i recall what Ryuuk said was along the lines that if you use the Death Note then you won't see heaven or hell, oblivion could be the true price of a human using the Death Note to kill.
    Ryuk said, if I recall correctly (paraphrased), "...and don't think you'll get to go to heaven or hell, if you get what I mean". It was an obvious shinigami setup.

  6. #6
    thejudaspanda is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunny Scotland...LMFAO
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Still open to interpretation there, when I first saw it I thought he was going to have Lights soul as a plaything for all eternity. Meh it's over and done with. I'd still love to see an L miniseries of some intricate cases he dealt with though that would be sweet.

  7. #7
    coolerimmortal is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thejudaspanda View Post
    Still open to interpretation there, when I first saw it I thought he was going to have Lights soul as a plaything for all eternity. Meh it's over and done with. I'd still love to see an L miniseries of some intricate cases he dealt with though that would be sweet.
    Another Note has already been released in Japan, you know...

  8. #8
    kamp is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thejudaspanda View Post
    Still open to interpretation there, when I first saw it I thought he was going to have Lights soul as a plaything for all eternity. Meh it's over and done with. I'd still love to see an L miniseries of some intricate cases he dealt with though that would be sweet.
    Yea, honestly, that first time that Ryuk told him he wasn't going to heaven or hell, my natural conclusion was that he was just going to oblivion. The Shinigami thing never really crossed my mind, until cooler brought it up. Honestly, I think you overthought it man, and got let down because of it.

  9. #9
    scriver058 is offline Senior Member Well Known
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Yeah, I don't see the fuss over the ending, but for different reasons. Perhaps ending the manga right after Light's triumph might've been something different, but that would just seem... wrong. It's true that perhaps Near and Mello could not quite fill L's shoes, but they were quite engaging characters of their own, and Near in particular was pretty close to L, in his thought processes and such. And even though something like Light becoming a Shinigami at the end was alluded to, I love the sucker punch Light is dealt at the end, with the revelation that after death in the DN world, there is NOTHING! Although, in that chapter 107, in the flashback right before Light dies it seems like he knew already.

    Quote Originally Posted by kamp
    The only problem was how to get to that ending, and the only possible way at that point was for Light to go damn near crazy. You get me, his defeat of L sort of gave him an invulnerability, a "he can't do things wrong" aura. That doesn't just disappear because someone else comes along. It had to be from within. In other words, his pride, and his confidence in the death note, had to be the ones to kill him. Near and Mello are there to apply pressure, his ever-growing pride is there to fold under it.

    Made sense to me.
    Made sense to me too. It's what i've been saying all along, that Light's ego was his downfall more or less. No way a person like Light stays on top for long.

  10. #10
    Sir_Unforgiven is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    156

    Default

    when i think about it more, it wasn't a horrible ending i mean TOTALLY horrible, it didn't end the way i wanted it to, it's just that the stuff that makes it an ok ending isn't really totally stated out, what makes it passable for me, is what, what's his name said, the really dumb detective guy, how he thought near used the deathnote on mikami so that he'd totally mess up, even though i still find it hard to beleive light wouldn't have had a backup plan of some sort, but if you go by that reasoning that mikami was doomed to death by that, than it becomes obvious that the same was done to light, near used the note on light as well i think, something like, "confess to being kira after mikami fails, babble about being a new god, try some desperate act to stay alive(and maybe be killed by shinigami" now i know you can't kill a shinigami with a deathnote, but can you affect their actions? i dunno, it could be near did it all up so light would die, and then ryuk just killed him before nears note did, which would make lights huge out of characterness ok. it still could have ended much better though.
    - I'm right, you're wrong, and there is nothing you can do about it

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162