Self Portrait in Ai
Well as some of you might already know, I'm taking a graphics design class at college. This really just means we're learning Ai (Illustrator) and Ps (Photoshop).
For the first half of the semester, we'll be going over Ai, then start on Ps sometime later.
Now, in class we had just learned about the Pentool, so as a homework assignment we were told to draw a self portrait by just using the pentool (take a photo and draw over it).
We can only use the pentool, and can not take adventage of stroke. Everything has to be shapes, not lines.
We can only use the basic colors, which makes things a bit harder..
After (I think) 3 days, here is how much I got done:
- Did the basic shapes and applied color.
- Finished part of friend's arm and clothes.
- Added a background so I could see the colors better.
- Finished the flower on friend's hand. This took ages. :P
- Drew my hands... redrew them.. and again and again..
- Nails.. this was another hour or two worth of work... and I just noticed something I need to fix.
Basically I just need to give myself hair and faces to both of us. Then minor details such as finshing up friend's hands.
Luckily we have two weeks to finish this. Otherwise I'd be really screwed. :P And I wasn't even procrastinating!
So, what do you guys think?
I'll post the finished work, and the original photo, I guess.
Oooo... vector art!!!! Use this in your sigs!!!
If this was designed from scratch, I must say it looks nice.
dman, I can't do anything in vectors, that's looking really fantastic Chuu. I really love the colours and the pose. reminds me of the kinda art you see in coffee shops a little, (that's a good thing imho)
Oh, looking really good Csuti. How are you finding illustrator? I look forward to seeing the final result.
Thats pretty good! You really got some great skills! Can't wait for the final touch ^^
Haha, I think I'm done with vectoring for a while xD
Originally Posted by StealDragon
No, I basically drew over an existing photo.
Originally Posted by Over
Thank you ^^
Originally Posted by silverwmoon
I really enjoy it. I had a great time playing around with the pentool and such, but after working on this one picture for over a week, I think I kind of had enough of it for a while.
Originally Posted by Tetnubis
I can't wait to get into the mesh tool tho! While working in class, I saw a girl who was in a higher class than me (we have combined computer labs), and she was using the mash tool to draw a face... and wow. It was amazing. Also what Mr. T did with that red car... see that's something I will NEVER be able to do. :P
Originally Posted by Raszagal
Well, after working on it for just about a week, here is my finished (?) portrait. I added the question mark because I feel it might need some fixing to do. I had the hardest time geting the faces to look even just "okay." I'm quite happy with the rest of it, but the faces.... agh. :/
For example, my friend's face (girl on the left) looks flat. And I just don't know what to do with that. I will take any suggestions, so PLEASE! post away. :P
original images (colored): http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1692/2ofusei6.jpg
original image (black and white): http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/3...ndwhiteye9.jpg
Very good, but despite all I think you screwed up the faces... :(
Its the hardest part, though.
Just a few things that I noticed:
- both faces are to wide, they should be thinner
- under the eyes should be some kind of highlight to show that it has a lower level than the eye itself (if you understand what I mean)
- the mouth is not so good because its too wide, and the underlip is too high imo, you should see a indication of the underteeth just like in the original pic
- the left lower part of the cheek should be some kind of lower, just like the point with the eyes
right girl (oviously you :P):
- right part of the lip should be thinner, or highlighted, it seems a bit akward like this imo
- your dimpel right next to your lip, while smiling, should maybe be indicated
- your nose looks to big somehow, it doesnt fit with your original look from the picture...
- the one hair strank on the left side of the face looks like its cutting your face, maybe should be more "around the face"...
Dont take it harsch or anything, its just constructive criticism.
no no, I really appreciate it.
I'll be gone for most of the day, but when I come back, I'll get to fixing those things.
I just think you need to smooth the transitions between the colors, soften them a bit with a blur or smudge maybe....