Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 114
  1. #101
    Elcura is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Urameshi-sama View Post
    ^I wasn't saying the aging correlates to how you look, just that in this specific case the fact that the blood concentrations are different between Clare and every other claymore make her more susceptible to the effects of aging than the others. And while I agree that the yoma blood concentration does not discount the fact that there is a point when Claymores stop aging, I'm not sure we can ignore the difference altogether. If decreases in yoma concentration lead to decreased offense/defense abilities, I don't think it would be a big stretch to say that aging would be affected similarly.

    And while what you say about appearances makes perfect sense for real life, its hard to say how true it is in Claymore. I have gotten the impression that awakened beings tend to look even younger than their non-awakened counterparts just by the examples of Priscilla, Riful, and even Luciela (as compared to Rafaela, ignoring Rafaela's battle scars).
    They say that at a certain point, Claymore stop aging and just mature. Riful and Priscilla were relatively young when they hit that point (which would also be awakening). It's been said more than once that Riful was the youngest Claymore to reach number 1 and ultimately awaken. So naturally she looks the youngest.

    Luciela didn't look young at all, I wonder if we're even reading the same manga sometimes. Ophelia didn't look young, nor did the AB she killed before fighting Claire. The ex-number 1 Teresa killed didn't look young nor did the myriad of other ABs we've seen. The only ABs to look even remotely young are Riful and Priscilla. And young doesn't count for a lot after puberty, where the most obvious changes take place.

    7 years isn't a long time, maybe after 10, 15 or 20 years would the need to question Priscilla's wonderful aging techniques arise.

    You argument makes no sense on the blood concentration side either, because from what I've seen the only changes Claire has gone through is from being a young human girl to a young claymore to what you see in Chapter 1. From then on (Ch 1-76), which is likely a period of 8 or 9 years (speculation on how long she spent with Raki until the gap) I haven't seen her physically age or change in appearance. If she does later on down the road then you're right about it, but as it stands there's no evidence that even remotely suggests that it is true.

    Priscilla also looked the same age as she did when she was a Claymore, just her hair was longer and brown. Ultimately, my point is that Priscilla has already gone through her growth/aging spurt so even if she was human, the changes she would go through would still be minimal at best.

  2. #102
    xthsense is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Hmm... (completely different tangent to the question: what is Raki's purpose and capabilities?... What's the word? Digression)

    What would happen if Raki, after say... five years of training under Isley, having still not been eaten by Priscilla in her sleep, says to Isley, "I'm sorry. I've been living under your roof for five years and I have been trained by you for five years, and I have never been able to repay you. I thank you for your hospitality, but I want to leave and find some way of paying you back."

    Raki tries to leave - what happens then? Will Priscilla let him go? Will Isley decide to eat him after all? Will Priscilla (+ Isley) decide to leave with him? ^_^

    Of course, the above questions can only happen if he doesn't listen to Isley's arguements of how he's actually helped keep Priscilla's sanity for five years and whatever else he's done besides training with Isley (like cooking... Which brings up a different point: Those two awakened beings probably don't eat regular food so they don't need a cook, but it will make Raki more suspicious of them if they don't eat his cooking.)

    All this being said, I could answer my own question: Clare trains for seven years, Raki is also going to train for seven years. If something of interest happened during those seven years, then the manga would have said: Two Years Later... or something to that effect.

    But what do you all think?

    PostScript: ... Can't resist any longer... Raki = Laki = Lucky. Lucky boy. XD
    Last edited by xthsense; 02-28-2008 at 05:07 AM.

  3. #103
    ranteil is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the world...
    Posts
    401

    Default

    The answer to your question though is not quite what you said. Several major changes have happened in and around charactors that we already know about. So the fact that they cut to the 7 year aspect was to keep the focus on Clair as it is her story we are reading.

    Now to the main conversation: I think that Raki would be close to Isley in skill now, so long as Isley has still meen teaching him (in human form without Yoma powers). Perhaps that he convinced Pris and Isley to let him go to town, or to the church in that city, where he will meet up with Clair, or one of the other 7. At which point Raki becomes a valuble human ally (he can take care of himself in normal cercumstances, and possibaly against some Yoma) as well as an inside source of information to Priscilla and Isley. Heck, he might even be the "back door" that the 7 walk through.

  4. #104
    xthsense is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ranteil View Post
    The answer to your question though is not quite what you said. Several major changes have happened in and around charactors that we already know about. So the fact that they cut to the 7 year aspect was to keep the focus on Clair as it is her story we are reading.
    Let us define major changes first: major changes are changes in the storyline that need to be portrayed - the manga almost always has to show at the time that they happen. If you define it this way, the "major changes" that have happened to the characters we've seen so far are not changing the storyline - they are "minor changes".

    It's true that the story is about Clare, but her reason for going south is pathetic - she found a sign of Raki, so she decides it's time to go to find Priscilla. So why exactly did she not leave to go South after 10 years, or 5 years? It's because Raki's story needs time. It would be just as reasonable to pick 5 years later or 9 years later for Clare - she's just training.
    Remember: seven years is not a long time for the Claymores. Something "major" happened or is happening elsewhere, and I think that something happened in Raki's storyline.

    Just wait: the next time Clare meets Raki, something will have just happened recently to him. Raki, unlike the Claymores, probably thinks of seven years as an eternity; he won't be sitting at Isley's training and waiting for Clare to find him. It doesn't suit his personality.
    I'm just speculating, of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by ranteil View Post
    Now to the main conversation: I think that Raki would be close to Isley in skill now, so long as Isley has still meen teaching him (in human form without Yoma powers). Perhaps that he convinced Pris and Isley to let him go to town, or to the church in that city, where he will meet up with Clair, or one of the other 7. At which point Raki becomes a valuble human ally (he can take care of himself in normal cercumstances, and possibaly against some Yoma) as well as an inside source of information to Priscilla and Isley. Heck, he might even be the "back door" that the 7 walk through.
    I think that's pretty reasonable. In fact I think that's so reasonable it will not happen. XD But you can see the major change that I'm describing in this senario: Raki goes into a town or city. But lets differentiate for a moment:

    <Major change: Raki and Clare meet.>

    Major change: Raki goes into town/city; abnormal occurace
    Vs.
    Minor change: Raki has been searching for Clare in towns and cities in his free time. Isley probably would never allow this - his student occasionally wandering around looking for someone and coming back to train more.

    Major change: Raki leaves Isley to look for Clare just now, seven years later.
    Minor change: Raki left Isley to look for Clare a while ago. It is then destined for them to meet up now.

    Major change: Clare leaves the North to look for Raki just now. (no, I'm not contradicting myself)
    Minor change would have been: Clare left the North to look for Raki. Then (major change) Clare and Raki meet.

    Ok, that's enough differentiation. While typing that I felt like the idea of Raki being the back door to Isley became less reasonable: Raki would never betray his friends. He'll proabably take them to Isley's front door and say, "Well! Here it is, Isley's house! I've been living here for the past seven years!" (Clare's like, "Isley's not that uncommon of a name, I guess... hmm... I smell Yoma." Raki's like, "Wait 'til you meet Priscilla!")
    Last edited by xthsense; 02-29-2008 at 05:13 AM.

  5. #105
    ranteil is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the world...
    Posts
    401

    Default

    As far as Raki being the "back door" I spoke of, well that depends on how much Raki has changed. True, I don't see Raki intentionally saying "here they are, now kill them." Rather when Clair and Raki meet, they (Raki) will start talking about how he got out of there, and when he mentions Isley someone (most likely Mira) would reconise the name. At this point there would be some pointed questions and Priscilla's name would probably crop up, which in turn would set off Clair. Finaly Raki gets the backstory (as well as most of the other 7) about Clair, and then he can proceed to "lay in wait" without actually feeling too guilty considering that he would know that they both were actually worse then Yoma.

  6. #106
    kniteowl is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The End of the World (NZ)
    Posts
    1,821

    Default

    Ah... 11 pages of post to read :S... can't be bothered...

    the only purpose I can think up for Raki is that his name sounds ALOT like lucky, the japanese tend to pronounce "r: like "l" So raki becomes laki.

    Maybe Raki really is lucky... whether that luck is good or bad is perception I guess lol.



  7. #107
    xthsense is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ranteil View Post
    As far as Raki being the "back door" I spoke of, well that depends on how much Raki has changed. True, I don't see Raki intentionally saying "here they are, now kill them." Rather when Clair and Raki meet, they (Raki) will start talking about how he got out of there, and when he mentions Isley someone (most likely Mira) would reconise the name. At this point there would be some pointed questions and Priscilla's name would probably crop up, which in turn would set off Clair. Finaly Raki gets the backstory (as well as most of the other 7) about Clair, and then he can proceed to "lay in wait" without actually feeling too guilty considering that he would know that they both were actually worse then Yoma.
    I have only one thing to say to this before I leave for the weekend: Raki will definitely not want them to fight, and if one gets killed (or Priscilla just flies away) Raki will feel intensely guilty.

  8. #108
    Elcura is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
    Ah... 11 pages of post to read :S... can't be bothered...

    the only purpose I can think up for Raki is that his name sounds ALOT like lucky, the japanese tend to pronounce "r: like "l" So raki becomes laki.

    Maybe Raki really is lucky... whether that luck is good or bad is perception I guess lol.
    You're only the 15th person to say this.

  9. #109
    RedCossack273 is offline Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    48

    Default

    So Raki is Claire's goldn retreiver.

  10. #110
    ranteil is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the world...
    Posts
    401

    Default

    @xthsence: I waited to post this so that it would be newer when you got back. Yes, you are right that Raki would feel guilty. However that doesn't mean that he wouldn't do it if he thought that he would save lives.

    @RedCossack237: something like that.

 

 
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79