Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    Vaines is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I personally think this has to do alot with how english-speakers translate mangas, I read once some mangas in english (I buy mine in French) and honestly, to me there was a BIG difference, both in the feeling, etc.

    In french all japanese particular words not only are kept, but they're translated at some place in the manga or on the bottom of the page to clarify what it is, which I find is great

    However you have to understand that many jokes in mangas are out of context, both in space, time and culture, when they are read by Westerners. Therefore some adaptations are done, however I am horrified when I hear the censorship and related things present in America, and would never change my current country of residence ^^

  2. #12
    yellowfever is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aikido
    Well... I disagree with you. I think that if you want to read it in such a perfect, unchanged manner, then learn japanese and read the japanese ones. I dont know what your experience with the Japanese language is, but try directly translating a few sentences in a manga from Japanese to english. directly. it sounds really, really dumb. Since the language structures are different, the very act of translating inherently and necessarily involves a little word play to make the translation be readable to english speakers.
    I understand your point. The only reason I would notice the inaccurate translations and bring it up is because I attended a few courses of japanese and I was appalled by how inaccurate and ignorant some of the translations were. I understand that certain literal translations will sound completely ridiculous, but what I do not understand is the need to destroy the japanese culture in the language which can easily be solved by a footnotes. For a professional company I find that "unforgivable." 20 kanji characters memorized and counting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aikido
    I do agree with you on your point about onigiri:donuts. i'm really not sure why they dont just footnote.
    But about the Love Hina manga, it was clear to me from the start that he was calling her by her first name. Like, when they introduced her as Naru Narusegawa, and he proceeded to call her Naru... where, exactly, did that trip you up? but w/e, minor detail.
    I think we need to cut some translations a little slack. I would rather have complex and relatable syntax in my mangas than some crazy direct translations from a few guys in Hong Kong.
    I wasn't clear when I posted earlier. What I meant to say is that Keitaro does NOT call Naru by her first name. He uses the proper honorifics throughout the entire manga, which I believe is just her last name. Now I do not even know if he even calls Naru by her first name in the japanese context. Just wanted to clear that up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Get Jew
    Come on topic creator, there's no need to justify the fact that by not purchasing manga, you aren't supporting or helping the industry. Just face it.
    I am not justifying my lack of support for the industry. I am stating that I am NOT supporting the American industries here on those grounds. Until they shape up, I will never buy another horribly translated manga. However, I am taking Japanese and I intend to order directly from Japan for a much larger price tag o_O;, so I can simply avoid all this hassle. But I still felt pity for those poor souls reading mutilated works and the authors who put their hearts into their work.
    Last edited by yellowfever; 02-13-2006 at 11:39 AM.

  3. #13
    kaom is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    I really dislike the quality of the majority of the translations, too. Even keeping in mind that some adapting needs to be done, sometimes they just go too far. (I really like it if a manga has translation notes at the back. I think this is the best way to address any changes made, by just telling the reader that you made them - although here I'm really referring to jokes like word puns. A definition guide at the back would be great for honorifics, cultural notes, and foodstuff. I mean, really.)

    ...and yet, I'm still trying to single-handedly support the manga industry. I'm already well into the $600+ range for English manga. (And in the $500+ range for Japanese...)

    Wow. Scholarships are wonderful things, as far as freeing up my money for other things goes.

    (Edit - blatant typos. *shudder*)

  4. #14
    Evan is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Haha,for me its the other way round.
    In my country,the translation are fine.
    The reason i go for manga instead of animes is because animes are draggy.
    But still there are nice animes that are worth watching.

  5. #15
    nataku_0 is offline Senior Member Well Known
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    309

    Default

    yes i think if you whine about translation edits, learn japanese and get the originals.

    a lot of times, even if translated literally or kept in original form, the meanings just don't get across cus americans culture is different....

    "i dont like to buy manga" sounds more like "im too cheap to buy manga"

  6. #16
    yellowfever is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nataku_0
    yes i think if you whine about translation edits, learn japanese and get the originals.

    a lot of times, even if translated literally or kept in original form, the meanings just don't get across cus americans culture is different....

    "i dont like to buy manga" sounds more like "im too cheap to buy manga"
    Until you address the above concerns this post sounds like "I'm too lazy to read the entire thread."

  7. #17
    burningman is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    525

    Default

    I never buy manga. If I can't find a licensed manga online, I go to my closest book store and read it there in the store. ANd there's also a coffee shop near, so it's pretty convenient.

    Of course, I don't drink coffee though, it tastes like crap


    Mysterious, no?

  8. #18
    guyverfanboy is offline Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Personnally, I just avoid the censored manga my self and buy titles that are done right.

  9. #19
    Get Jew is offline Senior Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Taking Japanese to read manga?

    *laughs*

    But hey, at least that's better than taking it to score hot midgets.
    Enjoy all new half assed effort power coupled with insane clutter.

  10. #20
    yellowfever is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Get Jew
    Taking Japanese to read manga?

    *laughs*

    But hey, at least that's better than taking it to score hot midgets.

    Actually I'm infatuated with the entire japanese culture. But if you insist on insulting me atleast do so with some backbone.

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162