View Poll Results: Souls?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 65.71%
  • No

    12 34.29%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63
  1. #21
    childofcaios is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the land of dreams.
    Posts
    192

    Default

    I like the idea of souls but i'm not really sure i believe in them... I feel kinda like, what makes up a soul what sort of energy is that?

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffysj
    (I take you for a Catholic school girl ~15)
    What can I say, I am a girl.

  2. #22
    Digital_Eon's Avatar
    Digital_Eon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kya~nada
    Posts
    17,429

    Default

    Who knows? It could be undiscovered. (I never thought of energy until you mentioned it, actually - then I remembered that physics law on energy and it made sense...XD)
    ~Digital_Eon~




  3. #23
    SooSeH is offline Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In Hellz University For Time Being
    Posts
    62

    Default

    I Totaly Agree With U Pentaelemental ... I Do Believe In Souls .. They Are Who We Are ... Our Body And Brain Cannot Function Without A Soul That Give It Sum Kind Of Input So That We Can Get An Output ... Like Thinking Ang Moving ... Everyhing Need To Be Told So That They Wud Do Sumthin
    Ur Sis From Hell ... SooSeH

  4. #24
    Robin113 is offline Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Soul are given to the people for them to buy Canada.
    Luckily I am the only one who knows how to make that trade.

    BEWARE CANADA! I AM COMING!

  5. #25
    Aikido is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,658

    Default

    I'm not quite sure what I believe, to be honest.
    Part of my wants to agree with Saizou's Occam's Razor approach. It makes a very basic sort of sense and I'm hesitant to overanalyze.

    I think that if a soul exists, it exists outside of space and time; much like the mind. The Philosophy of Mind is a widely argued philosophic thread that tries to analyze what the mind is, how we perceive it, how it relates to the body and to reality. Its all very interesting, because, when we really think about it, we dont really know what the mind is. The same could be true for the soul.

    Basically, im a soul agnostic. I'm not ruling out either possibility, because I think there are good arguments for both.

  6. #26
    StealDragon's Avatar
    StealDragon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    13,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saizou
    No. Our consciousness is caused by electrochemical reactions in our brains. This also explains why animals are dumber than we are, their brains are simply less advanced. Bringing in souls as an explanation is not necessary, and in fact completely arbitrary.

    Basically, Occam's Razor applies in this case.
    no offense but dont try to disprove my belief based on science... this is a totally existential topic and science barely matters, its a question of belief. you stick to yours and ill stick to mine.


    I'd like to die with the songs I love stuck in my head. I hope to make the most of these hollow bones we become.
    I raise a toast to the the souls that sang all along. I've been gathering friends to just to make some sounds,
    before the ship goes down, I've been making amends by making the rounds before the whole world ends


    [Chit Chat Specific Forum Rules] // Last Update - Friday March 13, 2009

  7. #27
    Saizou is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StealDragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Saizou
    No. Our consciousness is caused by electrochemical reactions in our brains. This also explains why animals are dumber than we are, their brains are simply less advanced. Bringing in souls as an explanation is not necessary, and in fact completely arbitrary.

    Basically, Occam's Razor applies in this case.
    no offense but dont try to disprove my belief based on science... this is a totally existential topic and science barely matters, its a question of belief. you stick to yours and ill stick to mine.
    Why not? Science is a way to explain the universe after all.

    Anyway, that's besides the point, which is that in this thread, people have claimed that some sort of soul is required for us to have consciousness. This is a violation of the logical principle of parsimony, also called Occam's Razor, and is therefore an illogical claim.

  8. #28
    ultimaweapon_03 is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2

    Default

    urm..this is my first time but to me a soul is a life itself..dead people doesn,t have soul..

  9. #29
    StealDragon's Avatar
    StealDragon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    13,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saizou
    Quote Originally Posted by StealDragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Saizou
    No. Our consciousness is caused by electrochemical reactions in our brains. This also explains why animals are dumber than we are, their brains are simply less advanced. Bringing in souls as an explanation is not necessary, and in fact completely arbitrary.

    Basically, Occam's Razor applies in this case.
    no offense but dont try to disprove my belief based on science... this is a totally existential topic and science barely matters, its a question of belief. you stick to yours and ill stick to mine.
    Why not? Science is a way to explain the universe after all.

    Anyway, that's besides the point, which is that in this thread, people have claimed that some sort of soul is required for us to have consciousness. This is a violation of the logical principle of parsimony, also called Occam's Razor, and is therefore an illogical claim.
    dude youre being an ass...

    what if i said some bullshit like oh whatever you say cant be true cuz there is nothing abosulte in the universe due to BlahBlahBlah Law that states everything is never perfect and whatnot... then what. we go back and forth over something that needs no discussion whatsoever. you are not gonna change what i think period. Dont even attempt to try to disprove something thats not even being attempted to be proven in the first place, save us both the time (again)...

    i repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by StealDragon
    no offense but dont try to disprove my belief based on science... this is a totally existential topic and science barely matters, its a question of belief. you stick to yours and ill stick to mine
    no más por favor... gracias


    I'd like to die with the songs I love stuck in my head. I hope to make the most of these hollow bones we become.
    I raise a toast to the the souls that sang all along. I've been gathering friends to just to make some sounds,
    before the ship goes down, I've been making amends by making the rounds before the whole world ends


    [Chit Chat Specific Forum Rules] // Last Update - Friday March 13, 2009

  10. #30
    pentaelemental is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,348

    Default

    Belief is acknowledgement of what and of which is true or false. I believe in souls. However, I don't believe that souls do anything outside of life. It is impossible for machines to detect souls unless the machine itself has a soul (it's possible, but not now)

 

 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162