Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 66
  1. #21
    januz101 is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Well said Luphrecio! That's what I think atleast.

  2. #22
    TheBard is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I'm not so sure about the return to IRC thingie... even for people to know how to use it (and still use it even while writing this reply :P)
    There's lack of any centralized channel whose bots/file servers offer all the scans, sorted and updated, like all the readers that got taken down did. Or at least there's no easily avaiable info for any.

  3. #23
    Digital_Eon's Avatar
    Digital_Eon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kya~nada
    Posts
    17,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBard View Post
    There's lack of any centralized channel whose bots/file servers offer all the scans, sorted and updated, like all the readers that got taken down did. Or at least there's no easily avaiable info for any.
    #lurk's not up anymore?! I haven't been on IRC in ages, but that was always a great thing. What happened?
    ~Digital_Eon~




  4. #24
    kazenohirameki is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On an island
    Posts
    428

    Default

    This issue sure suck. I might leave manga if things escalate. There's go one of my obsession...

  5. #25
    TheBard is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Eon View Post
    #lurk's not up anymore?! I haven't been on IRC in ages, but that was always a great thing. What happened?
    nothing permanent I hope, it seems they had issues with their host that suspended their service or something, not really sure, talking about it risks you a ban in the channel it seems :P
    They will go up again eventually, just noone knows when.

    I haven't been using irc to download in ages but I guess that now it's time to go back, too bad I don't know where to go or look for since I can't be arsed to go get the scans to the website of each scan group

  6. #26
    vphamv is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by be0wulf View Post

    Besides, it's not like nobody saw this coming. Scanlation was secretive for a reason. By offering the really popular manga (e.g. Naruto, Bleach, OP) to just anyone, the American licensers are going to notice. And they will take action.
    This is another reason why I never liked online readers. Too easy to expose everyone and it causes the huge domino effect as we're seeing now.

    I think the reason why they weren't so aggressive as they are now is because it's been relatively under the radar and things weren't so easily exposed or accessible. I mean, you could just read it on phones nowadays without having to do anything like even signing up for any type of membership. I'm sure all the companies and licensing groups will start really pushing for online viewers that they'll charge for. It's already started with comics and it seems very viable for manga.

    I really wondering what's going to happen the community after it's over.
    Street Fighter > All


    http://vphamv.deviantart.com/

  7. #27
    wanderlustee is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Still by the walled city
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Hmm. I rarely read manga nowadays but I've never been a fan of on-line manga reading sites. These "drastic" changes will be bringing back the community to the basics for a period of time again I guess. For the uninformed, here's a bit of history:

    http://insidescanlation.com/history/index.html

    Can't help but feel a bit nostalgic.
    But once you conquer the world, then comes the hard part.
    What kind of world would you create?

    -Johan [Monster]

  8. #28
    be0wulf is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    I hope this isn't going to turn into one of those "piracy vs. copyright" debates because frankly, the scanlation community has nothing to stand on.

    Quote Originally Posted by wanderlustee View Post
    Hmm. I rarely read manga nowadays but I've never been a fan of on-line manga reading sites. These "drastic" changes will be bringing back the community to the basics for a period of time again I guess. For the uninformed, here's a bit of history:

    http://insidescanlation.com/history/index.html

    Can't help but feel a bit nostalgic.
    I posted the site awhile back. Highly recommend it to anyone who's even slightly interested in the history of scanlation.

    Quote Originally Posted by vphamv View Post
    This is another reason why I never liked online readers. Too easy to expose everyone and it causes the huge domino effect as we're seeing now.

    I think the reason why they weren't so aggressive as they are now is because it's been relatively under the radar and things weren't so easily exposed or accessible. I mean, you could just read it on phones nowadays without having to do anything like even signing up for any type of membership. I'm sure all the companies and licensing groups will start really pushing for online viewers that they'll charge for. It's already started with comics and it seems very viable for manga.

    I really wondering what's going to happen the community after it's over.
    It'll probably just go back to the way it was before, i.e. the readers would have to DL from IRC/torrents. I mean, if the RIAA can't stop music piracy, I doubt foreign publishers can stop scanlation.

    p.s. I guess mangaupdates will see a small jump in traffict now that the big online readers are down =P


    http://www.chunlikickedme.com

  9. #29
    mystic_guard_sinoel is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 14th Moon
    Posts
    5,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vphamv View Post
    The casual readers, which I would say are the majority in the manga reading world, love to use online readers.

    IRC is too much hassle for casuals nowadays. Before online readers were really popular, you could sorta attempt to get them to try IRC out, but it seems in this day and age people consider it too much effort for something they don't care too much about.

    With the now super aggressive attempt to take down sites, I think IRC will probably start being used a lot more now.
    what does casual reader even mean? where do you draw the line between a casual and not a casual? cause declaring yourself not casual seems like you're some manga overlord and all the peasants using online readers is what inconvenienced you. you can't make up arbitrary lines with no real criteria to assist your point and appeal to most people's opinion that they are "hardcore"

    oh gosh dat kinda sounds mean. dgaf stubby is a big boy

    i mentioned why i used online readers earlier in this thread: there's no reason to download the majority of what i read and be0 has the same thought process

    Quote Originally Posted by be0wulf View Post
    Stubby here nailed it. Considering the quality (or lack thereof) of most scanlation groups out there today, there really is no incentive for me to download their releases from their website/IRC when I can just read it on a website. I'll archive manga I really really enjoy, but for the weekly SJ stuff...I'm honestly too lazy to spend the 5 minutes to look up the scanlator's IRC chan, triggers, download it, and open up CDisplay.


  10. #30
    vphamv is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mystic_guard_sinoel View Post
    what does casual reader even mean? where do you draw the line between a casual and not a casual? cause declaring yourself not casual seems like you're some manga overlord and all the peasants using online readers is what inconvenienced you. you can't make up arbitrary lines with no real criteria to assist your point and appeal to most people's opinion that they are "hardcore"

    oh gosh dat kinda sounds mean. dgaf stubby is a big boy

    i mentioned why i used online readers earlier in this thread: there's no reason to download the majority of what i read and be0 has the same thought process
    Exactly what Be0 described himself and my response to CPR. He's not going after manga every day, he's just reading it whenever and however is the easiest way to get it.

    I never declared myself anything, nor did I say anything about "hardcore" readers. I'm just talking about the majority who read the scanslations.
    Street Fighter > All


    http://vphamv.deviantart.com/

 

 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162