Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57
  1. #21
    neruke is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth, still the best place.
    Posts
    768

    Default

    The watermark was just for a while because somebody stole scans and stuff.
    Its gone already, but I found it a good idea. And the Bink one wasnt bad at all and didnt block any art.

  2. #22
    Stuyvesant is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    1,681

    Default

    ^ except for the fact that it isn't gone. Pg 10 in Naruto 409, right in the middle.

  3. #23
    Nidaros is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Has the thought crossed anyone's mind that there is no such thing as "stealing" projects.
    It's not like you have an exclusive right to scan a manga yourself just cuz' u were first with it, since u don't own the manga. Now if the mangaka of some random manga were to scanlate the manga him/herself (not gonna happen) then sure, that person has the exclusive rights.

    And maybe I'm just stupid and naive, but I thought the groups scanlated manga cuz' they liked it and thought that "hey, maybe someone who doesn't understand japanese and doesn't have access to buying the latest releases of manga directly from Japan would enjoy reading this too"

    And if there's no fame in this (outside of the small part of the manga community that actually cares about the credits page) and no money (except for stealers like Tazmo ofc, but then again, he doesn't scan himself) then what's the harm of some other group then yer own scanning the manga. I mean hell, wouldn't it be easier to cooperate so the manga can be of an better quality much faster then before.

    It's just that it's ridicilous to fight over who can and who can't scanlate a certain manga, when you don't even own it and actually don't have a say AT ALL about what happens with it. It's even worse then watching two five year olds fighting over who gets to play with a certain toy first.

  4. #24
    The Hidden Smog Villager is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EightBall View Post
    ^ That's the retardest comment I ever read since I'm around ST. By chance, did you ever visit Binktopia's homepage? They're scanlators group running on money and donations like most of the big groups.

    HQ raws cost money, translations cost money (especially when you want to publish earlier than everyone else).
    Fame up your ass.
    It's all about money you f***ing idiot. What did you the whole time? Leeching like the wet pussy you are? Did you ever worked on scanlating like others of the community?
    Do you even know who tazmo is or ever heard about the anger about him stealing free scans and sell them for money?

    You are the big ass noob. Now shut the f***k up damn leecher whore!
    You obviously just looked at the homepage once and drew a conclusion.

    The donations link has been shut down on a regular basis. In fact since the last upgrade to the site its permanently gone. The only reason Bluds reopened it in the first place was because a group of us demanded he lets us help out after a DOS attack before christmas.

    Plus Mangashare's targets were never as high as some sites

  5. #25
    TreeBranch is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I feel like I read their post in a totally different way...It doesn't seem like Binktopia is complaining about another group scanlating Naruto, it seems like they're complaining that someone threatened Manyou, their raw provider, something I also consider underhanded. Up until this week, it seems like Sleepyfans vs Binktopia was just regular competition for scanlation releases, but when Sleepyfans threatens a part of the scanlation process, it isn't just normal competition...it's a blatant declaration of war and disrespect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Obscuri View Post
    lol scanlators drama

    Anyway, how would SleepyFans try to make profit, when one of the first things they do is upload their releases at OneManga?
    Funny you mention that, I noticed that when Binktopia started asking others to stop mirroring their releases, including OneManga that shortly after, Sleepyfans appeared...connect the dots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Eon View Post
    There's a difference between normal watermarks and THAT. A good watermark is a tiny logo in the corner of a page or in a generally unobtrusive spot that does not block art. A bad watermark is a huge image in the middle of the page that generally makes it quite difficult to read the manga and look at the pictures.

    You know which one Binktopia uses.
    I dunno...the Binktopia watermark seems to me like they just place them in areas where they're noticed but still outta the way, it usually covers like..background terrain..

    Quote Originally Posted by Nidaros View Post
    Has the thought crossed anyone's mind that there is no such thing as "stealing" projects.
    It's not like you have an exclusive right to scan a manga yourself just cuz' u were first with it, since u don't own the manga. Now if the mangaka of some random manga were to scanlate the manga him/herself (not gonna happen) then sure, that person has the exclusive rights.

    And maybe I'm just stupid and naive, but I thought the groups scanlated manga cuz' they liked it and thought that "hey, maybe someone who doesn't understand japanese and doesn't have access to buying the latest releases of manga directly from Japan would enjoy reading this too"

    And if there's no fame in this (outside of the small part of the manga community that actually cares about the credits page) and no money (except for stealers like Tazmo ofc, but then again, he doesn't scan himself) then what's the harm of some other group then yer own scanning the manga. I mean hell, wouldn't it be easier to cooperate so the manga can be of an better quality much faster then before.

    It's just that it's ridicilous to fight over who can and who can't scanlate a certain manga, when you don't even own it and actually don't have a say AT ALL about what happens with it. It's even worse then watching two five year olds fighting over who gets to play with a certain toy first.
    I agree with you...if Binktopia is complaining about Sleepyfans "stealing" naruto away from them they need to grow up. Also, someone mentioned Binktopia steals other mangas too..well...err there really isn't any stealing going on. For the example of Fairy Tail, KEFI was already stopping before Binktopia picked it up. If I recall correctly there was a group which released Fairy Tail because they evidentially were not happy with KEFI's scanlation times. None of these are instances of stealing, just leecher impatience. When leecher's get impatient, they complain, and some people step up to address these complaints by releasing quicker releases which appeases the fans...but obviously steps on some toes in the process. It's happened in the past, it will continue to happen in the future.

  6. #26
    gin0va is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    16

    Default

    I am one of mangashare's/binktopia's staff.

    Let me clarify some things up GGpX, Im sure youre a good guy, and I can imagine how you feel about stealing projects, but that's where I disagree with you.

    Wonder why I disagree? It's because I believe it's about someones interest in scanlating a manga. and that's all there is to it for me.

    Before the Binktopia merger I was just a simple global moderator over at mangashare and I asked if I could help out sometime with some projects because it looked like fun to me. Then eventually I went helping with reborn, and eventually began scanlating it myself with Fletcher, all simply because it's my most favourite manga. And it still is... I scanlate REBORN because I love the manga.

    Same goes for blud, the leader of mangashare, he really likes DGM, and you know how crazy Kylara is about Naruto. If you look at fxu (one of our staff members) and his project Psyren, you can totally see how devoted he is into scanlating that, I mean. He's like the onliest Psyrentard around.

    We do all our projects because we like those and who cares if those happen to be like the most famous series around. We devote our time to it because we want to. Let us be man...

    Also, we do some as favours for staff members like raw providers, or specials like the Death Note one because most of the staff loved Death Note.

    and about the donation part, Blud himself run a contest and gave away prizes like a xbox360 naruto game + 3 official viz manga volumes and a Death Note dvd. with the overload of donations we had gotten. ( Design the December MangaShare Banner [Entry Thread - Closed] - MangaShare )

    Blud himself has even cancelled taking donations for those who wanted to donate when they werent needed because of google ads. ( We're currently not accepting donations - MangaShare )

    So, what profit are some people talking about anyways?

    Yea, we do use public raws, but who cares, we never accepted cash for buying raws or whatever else, we credit the ones scanning it public and thats all those raw providers care for.

    We have never made any profit with anything on mangashare, we love to scanlate the series and that's all.


    and


    If someone tried to ruin your group, wouldnt you get mad? I bet you would!

    I don't really care if you hate us, because that's your opinion.
    Last edited by gin0va; 07-19-2008 at 02:25 PM.

  7. #27
    Lain Iwakura is offline Banned Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wired
    Posts
    51

    Default

    I came.

    this great!

    I've been waiting for another awesome war

    BE vs MS is my favorite

    I need a popcorn, brb

  8. #28
    blud is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I feel like I read their post in a totally different way...It doesn't seem like Binktopia is complaining about another group scanlating Naruto, it seems like they're complaining that someone threatened Manyou, their raw provider, something I also consider underhanded. Up until this week, it seems like Sleepyfans vs Binktopia was just regular competition for scanlation releases, but when Sleepyfans threatens a part of the scanlation process, it isn't just normal competition...it's a blatant declaration of war and disrespect.
    That's pretty much how it is. Anyone who draws any other conclusion from this has misinterpreted the post. To start scanlating something someone else is doing a fine job of is one thing, but to interfere with their ability to do it is another. GGpX, you'd be angry if I started doing all your projects, but I'm sure that would be amplified if I followed you around and bought out the stock of any tanks you wanted to scan, or threatened your raw providers not to send it to you.

    Anyone who hasn't given thought to the idea that OneManga in one way or another is SleepyFans, is dense. That's where it becomes profitable to drive us out. Their releases are added to OM sometimes hours before it appears on MH - there is no 'public upload' feature on OM.

    Edit; One more thing GGpX, you've lost $500? We've lost $1500+ in the last year on hosting fees alone. It costs around $1400/month now to run the MS sites reliably, and pretty much the only reason is because we get slammed on Thursday/Friday. When you consider the site is relatively low in activity every other day it factors against us (not very much ad revenue to make it up). Do we accept donations? Not for a few months now. The donation link on that packlist page is ancient (note how the latest chapters are almost half a year ago). The numbers I just stated were proven with screenshots during the BleachExile fiasco, do some digging if you want proof, or someone will vouch for that.
    Last edited by blud; 07-19-2008 at 02:40 PM.

  9. #29
    Digital_Eon's Avatar
    Digital_Eon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kya~nada
    Posts
    17,429

    Default

    Quick thing on the earlier watermark stuff - I read one chapter of a series (...the only series I read at all, by the way) and the watermark was right in the middle of the damn page. I found it distracting and it took away from my enjoyment of the chapter. Granted, I've stopped reading scanlations at this time simply because I prefer to read the raw/translation, but at that time, it seemed rather inappropriate to me. Personal.

    And if that's what SleepyFans are doing, that's pretty darn inappropriate of them - and also rather pathetic, because this isn't, and shouldn't be, a competition. At the same time, if Binktopia's intent was to bring this petty behaviour to the attention of fans (going outside of normal channels of communication), that should have been said. The news post that I have seen, and that was posted here, implied a very different attitude that is much harder to be sympathetic to, particularly if one is not a regular leecher and/or works for a (non-speedscan?) scanlation group. I'm not surprised that GGpX assumed otherwise, if what the Binktopia staff members have posted here is a view shared by all of them. Perhaps we did misinterpret the post, but please don't blame us for doing so when the important information (threatening) is crammed into one line and does not seem to be the emphasis of the post itself.

    (One last thing, about the 'project-stealing' and 'interest' and all: If you really love a project and want to scanlate it, and another group is already working on it, why not help that group? The emergence of speedscans, and multiple people/groups doing the same chapter, make it difficult for others to believe that it isn't for fame. First person to get their chapter out and all. And come on, you know you want more people downloading your chapter. I'll admit I feel that way pretty much all of the time. It's great that you're doing it because you like it, but in many cases with - often newer - speedscan groups, that isn't necessarily the only reason.)
    ~Digital_Eon~




  10. #30
    LeHigh is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Eon View Post
    Quick thing on the earlier watermark stuff - I read one chapter of a series (...the only series I read at all, by the way) and the watermark was right in the middle of the damn page. I found it distracting and it took away from my enjoyment of the chapter. Granted, I've stopped reading scanlations at this time simply because I prefer to read the raw/translation, but at that time, it seemed rather inappropriate to me. Personal.
    Don't think I'm not respecting you here, but the part of "it took away from my enjoyment of the chapter" is completely ridiculous, I mean, if that really happens with you, you should change your ways or visit some doctor.

 

 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79