Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51
  1. #1
    Jakko's Avatar
    Jakko is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, US
    Posts
    4,503

    Default The Story of an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by StealDragon View Post
    Lol.

    I used The Story of an Hour, The Yellow Wallpaper, and Happy Endings. Read any of em? They're all really really good.
    I have read The Story of an Hour, however, I as a rule do not like short stories. I can't explain why, I just despise them, and anyone in turn that writes them.

    Also, I remember loathing the woman in that story, that thinks of her husband, or any human in general, in such a callous manner, to think of the death of someone in such a way. If that is an example of feminism, you are not helping your case.

  2. #2
    StealDragon's Avatar
    StealDragon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    13,450

    Default

    What? Don't tell me you don't believe theres a reason a wife would love to see her husband dead. A reason why she'd be happy to be and I quote, "Free! Body and Soul free!".


    I'd like to die with the songs I love stuck in my head. I hope to make the most of these hollow bones we become.
    I raise a toast to the the souls that sang all along. I've been gathering friends to just to make some sounds,
    before the ship goes down, I've been making amends by making the rounds before the whole world ends


    [Chit Chat Specific Forum Rules] // Last Update - Friday March 13, 2009

  3. #3
    Jakko's Avatar
    Jakko is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, US
    Posts
    4,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StealDragon View Post
    What? Don't tell me you don't believe theres a reason a wife would love to see her husband dead. A reason why she'd be happy to be and I quote, "Free! Body and Soul free!".
    I am saying I don't think ANY human has a right to rejoice at the death of another human, barring that human is a monster on an unheard of scale(Stalin, Hitler, etc.).

    Man, and you say I am an unfeeling person. How can a "liberal" thinking individual value life so lowly?

  4. #4
    Dante Obscuri is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sodom and Gomorrah - Cocytus
    Posts
    3,254

    Default

    Well, humans do have the right to rejoice at the death of others (why wouldn't they?). It is not a good idea to express those feelings in public, though.


  5. #5
    StealDragon's Avatar
    StealDragon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    13,450

    Default

    Being liberal doesn't mean I fawn over every little dead person like some PETA member with an LSD overdose. Quite the contrary, I think there are some damn good reasons to be happy someone dies.


    I'd like to die with the songs I love stuck in my head. I hope to make the most of these hollow bones we become.
    I raise a toast to the the souls that sang all along. I've been gathering friends to just to make some sounds,
    before the ship goes down, I've been making amends by making the rounds before the whole world ends


    [Chit Chat Specific Forum Rules] // Last Update - Friday March 13, 2009

  6. #6
    Jakko's Avatar
    Jakko is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, US
    Posts
    4,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StealDragon View Post
    Being liberal doesn't mean I fawn over every little dead person like some PETA member with an LSD overdose. Quite the contrary, I think there are some damn good reasons to be happy someone dies.
    Yeah, a man I married of my own free will just died. He provided for me, and I am unhappy with him. He never hurt me, and, cultural taboo's aside, I can divorce him whenever I want. However, I would rather, instead of not marrying him in the first place or divorcing him, just rejoice at the thought of him dying.

    That is what we call a "horrible human being."

  7. #7
    Digital_Eon's Avatar
    Digital_Eon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kya~nada
    Posts
    17,429

    Default

    Oh god, A Doll's House? I saw that mentioned earlier - I hated that story. I always felt that woman was totally irresponsible - the guy admitted to being naive about what he was doing and wanted to make it up to her, and she not only leaves him but her young children just because she feels she needs to grow up? Isn't that a bit immature, though, to put yourself above the innocent children that you brought into this world?

    I understand the point the writer was making for the time, but I found it an awful book to study for modern-day grade 12 English.
    ~Digital_Eon~




  8. #8
    StealDragon's Avatar
    StealDragon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    13,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakko View Post
    Yeah, a man I married of my own free will just died. He provided for me, and I am unhappy with him. He never hurt me, and, cultural taboo's aside, I can divorce him whenever I want. However, I would rather, instead of not marrying him in the first place or divorcing him, just rejoice at the thought of him dying.

    That is what we call a "horrible human being."
    Wow. Assume much? They never said they got married of free will. They never said he didn't hurt her. Never said he did anything for her. The story is from 1894, I doubt there was much divorcing going on. I think its crazy you think she'd have that reaction completely unfounded and considering the words on the page how you could assume he didn't do anything wrong is beyond me. Especially given how powerful her reaction was. O_o


    For those who haven't read it, its really short: "The Story of an Hour"


    I'd like to die with the songs I love stuck in my head. I hope to make the most of these hollow bones we become.
    I raise a toast to the the souls that sang all along. I've been gathering friends to just to make some sounds,
    before the ship goes down, I've been making amends by making the rounds before the whole world ends


    [Chit Chat Specific Forum Rules] // Last Update - Friday March 13, 2009

  9. #9
    Digital_Eon's Avatar
    Digital_Eon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kya~nada
    Posts
    17,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by story
    She knew that she would weep again when she saw the kind, tender hands folded in death; the face that had never looked save with love upon her, fixed and gray and dead.
    That doesn't sound to me like he ever really hurt her, or treated her badly at all.
    ~Digital_Eon~




  10. #10
    StealDragon's Avatar
    StealDragon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    13,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Eon View Post
    That doesn't sound to me like he ever really hurt her, or treated her badly at all.
    She describes that as a bitter moment though.
    There would be no powerful will bending hers in that blind persistence with which men and women believe they have a right to impose a private will upon a fellow-creature.
    Yeah. I think it speaks for itself.


    I'd like to die with the songs I love stuck in my head. I hope to make the most of these hollow bones we become.
    I raise a toast to the the souls that sang all along. I've been gathering friends to just to make some sounds,
    before the ship goes down, I've been making amends by making the rounds before the whole world ends


    [Chit Chat Specific Forum Rules] // Last Update - Friday March 13, 2009

 

 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79