Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 74

Thread: Philosophy

  1. #51
    child_of_serenity's Avatar
    child_of_serenity is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the depths of a vast swamp...
    Posts
    2,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by echoblaze View Post
    @CoS
    there's a school of thought that goes "actions are justified by emotions", so if ethics were relative, then these people would be justified in hurting others because they felt like it ? (for instance, if they were angry or such).

    hm, as for the ability-to-rationalize = existence, does this mean insane/disabled/schizophrenic/alzheimic people do not exist anymore ? would it be alright to put them out of their misery ?
    I think you misunderstand what ethical relativism is. It is not saying that people can act in any manner that they wish or by how they feel, but that morality is culturally relevant, and thus so is ethics because ethics are based in morality.

    There are however a few taboos that are almost universally cross cultural, such as the incest taboo.

    So for your example, would it be ethical for a person to hurt someone just because he "felt like it." My answer would be no, because I believe that ethics at is not based in individuals.

    The second point that you made was because I think you did not read my statement fully. But, "insane/disabled/schizophrenic/alzheimic" people do still rationalize, the just don't use the same premises and rules of "logic" that we use. So it would be jibberish and irrational to us, but generally people who visit other countries think that the way of life that "other" people live is "irrational." Simply on the basis that they do not understand.

    Now, an interesting question would be people in a vegetative state or in coma, still be human. I would say that a person who had 0 brain activity is dead. I would say that if a had brain damage to the point that there is very little chance that they will gain consciousness, that person is also dead. I actually don't get why some people will let a family member stay in a coma hooked up to a machine for years.

  2. #52
    NibellungenValasty is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    meh sia?
    Posts
    150

    Default

    ^
    About Sanity
    What is your own definition of sanity will define sanity itself. I agree with Serenity statement,so I do not wish to repeat what she/he said.

    About Coma
    They clinging to the delusion called "Hope". Even after death, if you still remember a person, they are defined as human. Even 1% survival chances amount to tremendous to those who have "hope".

    I remember this from somewhere before

    "Hope is the delusion of the weak". Who know how true it is. Anyway, I do not want to debate about that statement.

    I cannot give the exact reason on why unless I experience it myself, for judgment from those who know nothing is irrelevant to those who already feel the pain of "hope".

  3. #53
    echoblaze is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    @CoS

    ah, i didn't mean that "anyone can do anything they want", but that there's a group of people that believe that emotions are the basis of ethics - thus if all ethics is relative (ie dependent on the group of people that practices it), then these people would be justified in killing people because they happened to be angry.

    in your example for instance, the Bible has instances of moral characters having incestuous relationships, and i'm sure some cultures in the world still practice it.

    i do concede the second point - you're right in that they are still able to reason. i was totally off on that one.

    @NibellungenValasty

    well, people *have* recovered from comas, so family members are justified in keeping them hooked up. but i'd draw the line where a human vegetable is taking up resources that could keep a non-vegetable alive.

  4. #54
    NibellungenValasty is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    meh sia?
    Posts
    150

    Default

    ^Yes, there are people recovered from coma. I did not say there is none. I merely answering serenity question about why. Also there is legal and ethical reason they can keep them alive with machine help. You don't want to be sued do you ^^

  5. #55
    Yummy Lingo is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    indisposed, stalking adopted father's uncle's son's daughter.....
    Posts
    913

    Default

    when people have recovered from it then you can't say that zero brain activity means they are necessarily gone, just because you have failed to explain how they managed to recover. the point is, they could, so they are not dead.

  6. #56
    MugenChamp is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Philosophy is just useless speculation about life and existence which bears no significance to the world whatsoever. It is all simply bullshit created by people with some free time. You are born then you die. Trying to attach a deeper, universal meaning to this process is delusional.

  7. #57
    neruke is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth, still the best place.
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by child_of_serenity View Post
    I don't even want to talk about how that sentence doesn't really make sense.
    Yes. Almighty forgive me.


    Quote Originally Posted by echoblaze View Post
    it's impossible to know everything with 100% certainty of course - i don't think this is a problem that time can solve.
    One day, it will...

    One day.. descendants of us will think about questions that we aren't even able to think of.
    Not such tiny questions like "Meaning of life", "What is matter/energie/whatever". Stuff that I dont have examples for because we aren't so far to be able to reach even the questions. Not to mention the answers.


    Quote Originally Posted by echoblaze View Post
    but here's my theory - people should think about these sort of things to flesh out their values and beliefs. it's part of knowing really knowing who you are, and personally, i feel that that's very important.
    Dealing with your world/surrounding always makes you stronger or at least you develop in a certain way.
    That has nothing to do with philosophy or anything, thats just called "life". Basicly thats the meaning of life, this development.
    Being more than you were before.

    Quote Originally Posted by echoblaze View Post
    as for religion, the more i think about it - the less i feel that it contributes positively to a person's mental development. i mean, the very basis of religion is to just believe in what we're told. i too hope that one day in the far future, religions will be considered myths.
    I would give my life to see only one second of this future...

    Quote Originally Posted by echoblaze View Post
    ... though, i disagree with steal when he lumps buddhism with the rest. out of all the religions i studied, buddhism seems to be the most reasonable. when was the last time you heard of buddhist's committing genocide, going on crusades or flying into buildings ?
    True.
    Of all religions, buddism is the only one I can truely accept as something good.

    Its because the goal isnt worshipping a god, it's finding peace in yourself.

    Thats more near to the "truth" of life than any other religion on this planet has got so far.
    (Christianity is far far away from that. Just as an addition.)

  8. #58
    echoblaze is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neruke View Post
    Dealing with your world/surrounding always makes you stronger or at least you develop in a certain way.
    That has nothing to do with philosophy or anything, thats just called "life". Basicly thats the meaning of life, this development.
    Being more than you were before.
    i disagree with that. everyone can deal with life until they die, without ever thinking about what they're doing. you'd be surprised at the number of adults that still haven't managed to develop self-confidence, that are just psychologically scraping by. sure, you get stronger by adapting to new things, but *knowing* why you make the choices you do - doesn't that make you that much more of a better person ?

  9. #59
    XYZ12345 is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I was wondering whether morality is universal or relative. For example,

    A: thinking that killing another person is wrong under all circumstances.
    B: thinking that killing people of an enemy country is acceptable during war but killing is wrong in all other circumstances.
    C: thinking that killing a daughter who has eloped is acceptable i.e. honour killings in certain societies.

    As we can see what is morally correct often varies from society to society and even from person to person within a society. So, is there anything that may be universally accepted as a morally correct way of thinking?

    (I hope this doesn't count as necroing a thread as I'm adding something to this thread, I think.)

  10. #60
    dna2playboy is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    waboomafoof
    Posts
    2,619

    Default

    There's both universal morality and relative morality. Universal morality is designated by God, and relative morality is designated by man. With relative morality as you said it changes from society to society. With morality designated by God it never changes. If you believe in God then you know relative morality is false, because how can absolute good and absolute evil change? If something is truly wrong then it should be wrong no matter what.

 

 
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162