Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    dna2playboy is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    waboomafoof
    Posts
    2,619

    Default

    A year is a long time to be imprisoned for a mistake. Her going to jail isn't helping anyone. She doesn't have to be imprisoned for a whole year to serve as an example for others. It's easy to say she deserved it for not doing her job, when you don't even know the person. What if she was your sister, mother, cousin, or aunt? Could you still say the same thing?

  2. #22
    raveneros is offline Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    █████ on earth
    Posts
    61

    Default

    just treat "she" and "victim" were sacrifice for other call taker to pay more attention and not let this happen again.

    i made them sound so noble :P
    No morning without Dawn, No night without Dusk, No one Else but Me //by ri

    www.ri1030.net

  3. #23
    Saizou is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    I don't see why people think that prison is a harsh sentence in this case. It's quite clear that the 911 operator is guilty of criminal negligence, and as far as I know the usual punishment for that is prison.

  4. #24
    MadDogMike is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dna2playboy View Post
    A year is a long time to be imprisoned for a mistake. Her going to jail isn't helping anyone. She doesn't have to be imprisoned for a whole year to serve as an example for others. It's easy to say she deserved it for not doing her job, when you don't even know the person. What if she was your sister, mother, cousin, or aunt? Could you still say the same thing?
    What she did wasn't a trivial matter. The emergency hotline was put there to save lives so you would expect people that you employ there to have an interest in doing it, not to ignore a child's plea for help. She did something extremely stupid, something which directly contradicted the reason she was there in the first place. This isn't some telemarketing call centre where you can goof off and do your job half-assed.

    Don't give me any crap about how they get so many pranks that they can't respond to all of them either. Should a judge be allowed to sentence someone to death without a trial, just because they have a hunch? They should be required to someone out to check on the situation regardless of whether they think it's a prank or not, on the off chance that there actually IS someone's life in danger.

  5. #25
    StealDragon's Avatar
    StealDragon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    13,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saizou View Post
    I don't see why people think that prison is a harsh sentence in this case. It's quite clear that the 911 operator is guilty of criminal negligence, and as far as I know the usual punishment for that is prison.
    Because when you sit next to theives, gang members, drug dealers, drug addicts, and the like and you see them with year long sentences and then you say "Oh I'm here because I made a bad decision at my job". It just seems silly. Ten minutes from now I'll find a dozen articles on prison overcrowding and then think "This wouldn't be the problem if we didn't send so many people to prison". Save prison for the malicious people with a strong intent to harm or defrauding society or an individual. Not the lady that screwed up at her job. If a doctor misdiagnoses a disease and it leads to a death does s/he go to prison? She misdiagnosed a situation, why is she in prison?


    I'd like to die with the songs I love stuck in my head. I hope to make the most of these hollow bones we become.
    I raise a toast to the the souls that sang all along. I've been gathering friends to just to make some sounds,
    before the ship goes down, I've been making amends by making the rounds before the whole world ends


    [Chit Chat Specific Forum Rules] // Last Update - Friday March 13, 2009

  6. #26
    Saizou is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StealDragon View Post
    Because when you sit next to theives, gang members, drug dealers, drug addicts, and the like and you see them with year long sentences and then you say "Oh I'm here because I made a bad decision at my job". It just seems silly.
    Um, you do know that if people in certain professions make bad decisions, large amounts of people could die, don't you? For example, if a construction engineer decides to skip the safety regulations and the scyscraper he's building eventually collapses as a result, you could have thousands of fatalities. That's plenty more harm than some two-bit thugs tend to accomplish.

    Quote Originally Posted by StealDragon
    Ten minutes from now I'll find a dozen articles on prison overcrowding and then think "This wouldn't be the problem if we didn't send so many people to prison". Save prison for the malicious people with a strong intent to harm or defrauding society or an individual.
    You seriously don't think that willingly failing to do your duty should be punished by imprisonment? Even when you know that failing to do your duty could mean that people die?

    Quote Originally Posted by StealDragon
    Not the lady that screwed up at her job. If a doctor misdiagnoses a disease and it leads to a death does s/he go to prison? She misdiagnosed a situation, why is she in prison?
    Malpractise and criminal negligence are different. The problem isn't that she misdiagnosed a situation, it's that she knowingly and willingly failed to do her duty, which is to alert the proper authorities of any report she gets, regardless whether she thinks them fradulent or no.

    To make a better comparison to the medical world, this situation would be like a doctor that doesn't bother to administer treatment to a patient who then dies. And that doctor would almost certainly go to prison for that.

  7. #27
    Joeyt741 is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    593

    Default

    If the 911 opperators sentence is to serve as an example to other operators, then I believe a hefty fine would have the same effect as sending someone to prison for a year.

  8. #28
    silverwmoon is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    in my bed, sleeping
    Posts
    1,941

    Default

    Maybe the 911 system needs a look at. We made a 911 call when a car hit a telephone pole outside our house. My mom was FURIOUS at the 911 person who kept demanding to know if we could confirm weither there were any injuries before she sent out an ambulance... well sheesh, the driver side of the hood is smashed, the windshield is busted. AND if nothing else you can't always tell if there's been a neck injury, please just SEND THE DAMN AMBULANCE.

    Luckily some one else got another operator to send an ambulance, my mom couldn't in all honesty say for sure there were injuries because she didn't know, the lady from the car looked okay and mom was inside the house... but things like that.. maybe the system needs a revamping..

  9. #29
    Saizou is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverwmoon View Post
    Maybe the 911 system needs a look at. We made a 911 call when a car hit a telephone pole outside our house. My mom was FURIOUS at the 911 person who kept demanding to know if we could confirm weither there were any injuries before she sent out an ambulance... well sheesh, the driver side of the hood is smashed, the windshield is busted. AND if nothing else you can't always tell if there's been a neck injury, please just SEND THE DAMN AMBULANCE.

    Luckily some one else got another operator to send an ambulance, my mom couldn't in all honesty say for sure there were injuries because she didn't know, the lady from the car looked okay and mom was inside the house... but things like that.. maybe the system needs a revamping..
    Man, that's some really fucked up shit right there. I was under the impression that 911 operators are always required to send out help, at least that's the principle here in Scandinavia.

  10. #30
    Aikido is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,658

    Default

    better safe than sorry I guess.
    She should have sent a car. I don't know if she deserves sentencing though.

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162