Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62
  1. #1
    StealDragon's Avatar
    StealDragon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    13,415

    Default All Arabic School. What do you think?

    http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0601/p03s01-ussc.html

    ^ Too lazy to find the original article.

    But basically the gist is there is huge controversy this upcoming school semester because of this all Arabic public school. Recently it was made into a dual language school (like 60 others in the city) and its still facing opposition saying itll be an American training ground for terrorists and extremists. Yeah... wtf. But aside from that, this school will not be focused on teaching english to young arabic students. What do you think of that. Is it anti-American to NOT teach them (now mostly) in arabic alone or should we try to Americanize the students and make English a top priority while respecting and teaching them about their Arabic heritage? I only bring this up here because another main issue is its a public school.

    BTW theres also an all Chinese public school opening this year as well, the number of applications has been so high and the public opinion so positive that they're thinking of limiting the number of students and opening another school just like it.


    I'd like to die with the songs I love stuck in my head. I hope to make the most of these hollow bones we become.
    I raise a toast to the the souls that sang all along. I've been gathering friends to just to make some sounds,
    before the ship goes down, I've been making amends by making the rounds before the whole world ends


    [Chit Chat Specific Forum Rules] // Last Update - Friday March 13, 2009

  2. #2
    Urameshi-sama is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,170

    Default

    I wouldn't mind having an Arabic school that teaches primarily Arabic, but I do agree that teaching English should also be a necessity because we do live in the USA and English is the primary language here. Not only that, English is the most predominantly used language around the world and lacking that part of your education limits your exposure to the world at large.

    Personally, while I think that having such schools should be legal and people have the choice to go to such a school, I don't really see how going to an ethnically themed school will help you. I think assimilation is an important process and that if you don't develop skills to maintain relationships with people of different ethnicities, you may end up hurting yourself later because you might have trouble assimilating later if you have to deal with them at work or just outside of school.

  3. #3
    mystic_guard_sinoel is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 14th Moon
    Posts
    5,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StealDragon View Post
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0601/p03s01-ussc.html

    ^ Too lazy to find the original article.

    But basically the gist is there is huge controversy this upcoming school semester because of this all Arabic public school. Recently it was made into a dual language school (like 60 others in the city) and its still facing opposition saying itll be an American training ground for terrorists and extremists. Yeah... wtf. But aside from that, this school will not be focused on teaching english to young arabic students. What do you think of that. Is it anti-American to NOT teach them (now mostly) in arabic alone or should we try to Americanize the students and make English a top priority while respecting and teaching them about their Arabic heritage? I only bring this up here because another main issue is its a public school.

    BTW theres also an all Chinese public school opening this year as well, the number of applications has been so high and the public opinion so positive that they're thinking of limiting the number of students and opening another school just like it.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the school itself or anything Un-American about it.

    Things like this happen. The United States isn't exactly the most friendly country... I think that it's just because of the time period we're in that this is happening. I mean there used to be an act that prevented all Chinese people from coming into America.


  4. #4
    Digital_Eon's Avatar
    Digital_Eon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kya~nada
    Posts
    17,429

    Default

    If you set up a school in a country, teach its official languages... NOT whatever you want. I don't care if other languages can be taught - hey, I encourage learning new languages! - but I think it's ridiculous to not teach English in a country where everyone else speaks English. That's just disrespectful to the citizens of that country, and it allows isolation of communities (are those kids ever going to learn English?).
    ~Digital_Eon~




  5. #5
    KyubiNoKitsune is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Home.
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Better teach english as the first and arabic as the second language, learning anything other than english as a main language in the USA is a joke. And yes, as Digi already mentioned such stuff creates isolated communites which have a good chance to be hated by the americans for whichever stupid reason and vice versa.

  6. #6
    neruke is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth, still the best place.
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Imagine you are a child of someone who works in Dubai for example.

    I dont think the average american pupil is interested to go into a ordinary school there, you would rather want to go to a school where everyone speaks English, comes maybe from the same cultural background and so on.
    So most likely you would visit a American school there, he? Would you want to get forced to lern arabic? Would you even bother thinking about it??

    Why arent you accepting that there are people in this world who dont want to get involved in the american way of live and just go to school as they where used in their homecountry?
    Maybe the children are only for the timebeing in this country. So for what the heck do they need to get used to a american schoolsystem??

    Just think about it... not every nation on this planet is less developed than the US.
    Last edited by neruke; 08-21-2007 at 02:03 PM.

  7. #7
    Urameshi-sama is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neruke View Post
    Imagine you are a child of someone who works in Dubai for example.
    I lived in Dubai for 4 years and the school system was centered around English. Though I was only in 2nd grade at the time, I was learning 4 languages: English, French, Arabic, and Hindi. Even if you don't want to get involved with American politics, English is still the most widely used language in the world, so it should be taught. Teaching a single language encourages narrowness.

  8. #8
    Viraten is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    575

    Default

    @neruke: They're saying that it's stupid not the learn the official language of the country you're living in. In the example you've given, it's just as stupid not to learn Arabic when living in an Arabic-speaking country. Practically speaking, it's a good idea to learn the language of the country you're living in.
    'No need to take me seriously. It's a forum.'

    I <3 the Village People. Everyone wants be a macho man. And join the Navy. And stay at the YMCA.

    <Viraten> It's better than Naruto
    <Chiza> Most things are.

  9. #9
    neruke is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth, still the best place.
    Posts
    768

    Default

    I just assume that most high-society brats who visit international or american schools in other countries dont care even the slightest bit of the language of the country they are in!


    So it doesnt matter if YOU think English should be taught...
    You dont want to be forced to do anything you dont want, so do people from other countries.
    Just let them alone, they didnt do you anything.

  10. #10
    StealDragon's Avatar
    StealDragon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    13,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Eon View Post
    If you set up a school in a country, teach its official languages... NOT whatever you want. I don't care if other languages can be taught - hey, I encourage learning new languages! - but I think it's ridiculous to not teach English in a country where everyone else speaks English. That's just disrespectful to the citizens of that country, and it allows isolation of communities (are those kids ever going to learn English?).
    Quick Quip - America has no official language.


    I'd like to die with the songs I love stuck in my head. I hope to make the most of these hollow bones we become.
    I raise a toast to the the souls that sang all along. I've been gathering friends to just to make some sounds,
    before the ship goes down, I've been making amends by making the rounds before the whole world ends


    [Chit Chat Specific Forum Rules] // Last Update - Friday March 13, 2009

 

 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162