Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 135
  1. #101
    StealDragon's Avatar
    StealDragon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    13,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakko View Post
    Yes. If things are relative, then truth, which in your opinion must vary from person to person, is also relative. If you argue relativity, you argue that there is no such thing as "fact."
    Ok this can go either way. So after this explanation I may just resign myself to agree to disagree.

    I argue that opinion is not fact and cannot be treated as such because that opinion is relative to the person that has it. Example: It is not a fact that rape is wrong. This is because the concept of right and wrong is an opinion and cannot be used to make judgments about the action. We may deplore the action as wrong but we should understand that that is our opinion and is only relative to us. That should be a fact. Assuming otherwise would be like assuming a Borg-like collective intelligence among humans that allow us to all feel the exact same way about the exact same thing.

    *sigh*



    There was something else I was gonna write to explore my understanding of your perspective but it was lost in the Quick Reply box... if I remember it I'll post it.


    I'd like to die with the songs I love stuck in my head. I hope to make the most of these hollow bones we become.
    I raise a toast to the the souls that sang all along. I've been gathering friends to just to make some sounds,
    before the ship goes down, I've been making amends by making the rounds before the whole world ends


    [Chit Chat Specific Forum Rules] // Last Update - Friday March 13, 2009

  2. #102
    Krytha is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StealDragon View Post
    ._.

    Opinions are relative. Facts are not. I try to back up my opinions with facts and you tell me that doing such is impossible?
    Makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakko View Post
    Yes. etc etc.
    Doesn't make sense.

    Building an opinion based on facts isn't impossible at all...

  3. #103
    Jakko's Avatar
    Jakko is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, US
    Posts
    4,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krytha View Post
    Makes sense.

    Doesn't make sense.

    Building an opinion based on facts isn't impossible at all...
    But how can facts exist when they(facts) are relative. In effect, not static, not steady or strong, hardly a good foundation to "build" things on, to make an architectural anecdote.

  4. #104
    Krytha is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    The whole point of a fact BEING a fact is that they aren't constantly in flux.

  5. #105
    Jakko's Avatar
    Jakko is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, US
    Posts
    4,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krytha View Post
    The whole point of a fact BEING a fact is that they aren't constantly in flux.
    Exactly. Which is why you cannot argue for total relativity. Facts must be absolute.

  6. #106
    Krytha is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    Im not. That was SD. Facts arent relative. Theres a good deal of relativity.

  7. #107
    Jakko's Avatar
    Jakko is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, US
    Posts
    4,503

    Default

    It looks like apostrophe's are relative to you, though. =p


    On topic:
    SD, rape is absolutely wrong. Also, I know a guy from Ethiopia. When I told him what you said about Ethiopian practices, he said that was an "absolute" lie. Bear in mind, he is a 20 year old exchange student that has three wives back home. Monogamy or polygamy, you could argue about being relative. But rape? That is just insulting to rape victims for you to even say that. I hope you say that to a rape victim, and her extended families faces, and see what they say/do.

  8. #108
    martyr3810's Avatar
    martyr3810 is offline Banned Community Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    An Unmarked Grave
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    If you dont want to have sex then you shouldn't have a physical reaction to sexual actions. It's pretty much physically impossible. Its like saying "Oh I had sex with her and she didnt want to but she was wet as can be". Im sorry that makes no sense and theres a damn good reason why (for this case anyway) vaginas are called "the lips that never lie". Either way someone is lying and one set of lips can't talk. >
    This is, absolutely, positively, wrong.

    It is EASY to incite a sexual reaction in someone who doesn't want to be. Its hardwired into our brains. If the guy does practically anything to her before the sex (foreplay-esque), he's guaranteed at least some response, and is more than likely to have her, as it goes, dripping wet, even if she doesn't want to be.

    This is particularly true when drunk or drugged but is easy enough to do when they're sober too. Everyone has triggers.

    Why do you think "She was wet your honor!" Can't be used as a claim in court? Rofl. Idiocy.

    P.S. My state has one of the lowest rape rates in the Nation - despite having higher rates of almost EVERY other crime (particularly murder). We know about it, so we don't tolerate it. You'd be lucky to make it off the streets SD, especially being black (we have a lot of rascists too).

  9. #109
    StealDragon's Avatar
    StealDragon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    13,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakko View Post
    It looks like apostrophe's are relative to you, though. =p


    On topic:
    SD, rape is absolutely wrong. Also, I know a guy from Ethiopia. When I told him what you said about Ethiopian practices, he said that was an "absolute" lie. Bear in mind, he is a 20 year old exchange student that has three wives back home. Monogamy or polygamy, you could argue about being relative. But rape? That is just insulting to rape victims for you to even say that. I hope you say that to a rape victim, and her extended families faces, and see what they say/do.
    Thats you're opinion and his opinion and their opinion, versus my opinion. We'll see who will convince the other first. I'm sorry but thats not something you can prove, all you can do is act on your opinions. We agree, rape is bad. Rape is the worst. Ok thats great but neither one of us can prove it with facts. And stating "Rape is absolutely wrong" is a great opinion (imho) but that doesn't make it necessarily true or factual. Hell even claiming something as "wrong" and describing it as if its a fact is just silly.


    I'd like to die with the songs I love stuck in my head. I hope to make the most of these hollow bones we become.
    I raise a toast to the the souls that sang all along. I've been gathering friends to just to make some sounds,
    before the ship goes down, I've been making amends by making the rounds before the whole world ends


    [Chit Chat Specific Forum Rules] // Last Update - Friday March 13, 2009

  10. #110
    loca93 is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    I basically just believe a person can and will probably do whatever they wish to do with their own body. I am not for legalizing it because so many more issues will arise. First everyone on the forums know that if for some reason the issue alone of prostitution becoming legal in the US were to even come close to being passed people would riot. Basically the same people who say gay amrriage is wrong.

    I just think that if they were to legalize prostitution the people who actually prostitute themselves would diminish. Think about the women or men that sell their bodies. They do it because they have no money, right? Well if they were to legalize they actually might not do it anymore. Were it for legal or identity reasons. Also taxes would get taken and what not. The people who sell themselves don't make much anyway.

    So to sum it up I say sell themselves what do i care legalize it no.


 

 
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162