Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 127
  1. #101
    Volvogga's Avatar
    Volvogga is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    2,076

    Default

    First off, any mod here has the mental capacity to back up any argument they make. There's no rule that says 'agree with everything the mod's say'. Also, Zepher has just as much right to say what he thinks as our more religious members here. Maybe it wasn't so tasteful in wording, but it's one way to look at things, and he's not alone in thinking that way (the broader idea anyway).

    Personally, I don't argue this shit. I've done it enough for my lifetime, and I've learned it's pointless, as even the brightest can't truly handle it. Details you can argue with some, policies yes, but the whole is there/isn't there you can't. No one is going to budge. Besides, it's ungentlemanly to do so anyway.

    You want to keep at it, go nuts. But the christians arn't going to save any souls here, and the atheists arn't going to show any christians that there are other beliefs and arguably better ways to look at the world. Only thing anyone might do is be the last one standing in an argument, which is just going to give you 10 minutes of feeling good about yourself... while everyone else shakes their head. Eh... just cue 'Arguing on a forum...' joke.

    Anyway... just don't make me bring Bable Fish into this... I'll do it. I shit you not. =___=
    Vol~

    thanks to Silverwmoon!

  2. #102
    Popothepenguin is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In the hall of past Queens of Offtopia
    Posts
    2,027

    Default

    I wasn't trying to enforce my religion or anything here... I was just pissed that christianity is always portrayed at it's worst in the media, and trying to explain thoughts on creationism... Then Zaephyr went on his rant, and... yeah.
    Well I'm sorry everybody. I don't believe Christianity is a religion (personally I consider it a relationship with God, not a religion) that can be enforced on another (especially on a forum), and when it is it usually goes against what we believe. I also believe Zaephyr has every right to say what he says.

  3. #103
    StealDragon's Avatar
    StealDragon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    13,425

    Default

    Excuse me but you don't see Muslims, Jews, Hindus or anyone else lobbying government to get their beliefs taught in American public school. And your using the wrong word its forced not enforced.


    I'd like to die with the songs I love stuck in my head. I hope to make the most of these hollow bones we become.
    I raise a toast to the the souls that sang all along. I've been gathering friends to just to make some sounds,
    before the ship goes down, I've been making amends by making the rounds before the whole world ends


    [Chit Chat Specific Forum Rules] // Last Update - Friday March 13, 2009

  4. #104
    Urameshi-sama is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvogga View Post
    ...Even the brightest can't truly handle it. Details you can argue with some, policies yes, but the whole is there/isn't there you can't. No one is going to budge. Besides, it's ungentlemanly to do so anyway.
    I agree with that. We've already had the evolution/creationism talk and the religious discussion on ST to an extent and it went nowhere. Whenever I debate it with my friends on this crap it just ends up dividing people because everyone is too indoctrinated in their views on this stuff because these issues are so polar.

    Steal, the reason creationism can be lobbied for in schools is because it is considered a social theory rather than a religious practice. Its a lame loophole for creationists to exploit to force their ideals to be taught side-by-side to the evolution (as if they are equal!).

  5. #105
    Viraten is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    575

    Default

    I'm assuming you're talking about American Media only when you say Christianity gets the worst media. Even so...Islam and Judaism have it pretty bad too, what with terrorism being associated constantly with Islam (though, you can see why) and Jews...well, they DO get bad media too- or at least, I've had many Jewish jokes. Hindus and Buddhists don't though...winner?

    And I know there are some radical muslims lobbying for UK to adopt Shariah law. Except, nobody actually cares so it doesn't make much news because the group consists of what...1, 2 guys?
    'No need to take me seriously. It's a forum.'

    I <3 the Village People. Everyone wants be a macho man. And join the Navy. And stay at the YMCA.

    <Viraten> It's better than Naruto
    <Chiza> Most things are.

  6. #106
    child_of_serenity's Avatar
    child_of_serenity is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the depths of a vast swamp...
    Posts
    2,321

    Default

    The Jews don't get bad media they are the media.

  7. #107
    shautieh's Avatar
    shautieh is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Skipea
    Posts
    5,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by child_of_serenity View Post
    The Jews don't get bad media they are the media.
    ^^"
    It is true that the jews must be the most untouchable community there is in western countries... (Paris Hilton would still be in prison if she insulted a jew )

  8. #108
    Viraten is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Meh..I guess it's just the social circle I hang out with who love making fun of Jews...even though some of them are Jewish themselves...hmm..

    Well, it's mainly my dad who rips on Jews. And people in general.
    Last edited by Viraten; 06-08-2007 at 06:09 AM.
    'No need to take me seriously. It's a forum.'

    I <3 the Village People. Everyone wants be a macho man. And join the Navy. And stay at the YMCA.

    <Viraten> It's better than Naruto
    <Chiza> Most things are.

  9. #109
    Sherman is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    2,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by child_of_serenity View Post
    RWAR SERENITY SAID SHUT UP YO'

    The points in this thread is moot. I even tried to change the subject, to something a bit more relevant. Like how the place isn't an museum at all but a theme park.

    CPR lock please ... this is just pointless circles.
    I know To be honest, my last few posts were really only made to fire Saizou up, since his condescending attitude annoyed me

    But just for the record,

    Quote Originally Posted by Saizou
    What I said was perfectly clear to anyone who understands what "might not" means.
    I don't think so. At least Volvogga seems to have got what I was trying to say...
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvogga
    I don't argue this shit. I've done it enough for my lifetime, and I've learned it's pointless, as even the brightest can't truly handle it. Details you can argue with some, policies yes, but the whole is there/isn't there you can't. No one is going to budge. Besides, it's ungentlemanly to do so anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman
    Yet, the people who believe in Religion believe in it just as fiercely as those who believe in Science. And any "but you can't prove it"... "the Bible's just a book"... arguments are completely pointless. A person believes what they believe. You can't reason them out of it.
    But I don't think that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Saizou
    On the contrary, you can. The fact that they might not be convinced is irrelevant.
    is really in keeping with the same line of thought.

    But at least with regards to people having the right to express their own beliefs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Saizou
    And that is not in question.
    Well good. Cos that's all I ever was trying to say!

    Right then, now that's sorted, I'm out. Enjoy your war.
    Last edited by Sherman; 06-08-2007 at 06:16 AM.

  10. #110
    Saizou is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    I know To be honest, my last few posts were really only made to fire Saizou up, since his condescending attitude annoyed me
    So, in other words, you were trolling. Great to know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvogga
    Personally, I don't argue this shit. I've done it enough for my lifetime, and I've learned it's pointless, as even the brightest can't truly handle it. Details you can argue with some, policies yes, but the whole is there/isn't there you can't. No one is going to budge. Besides, it's ungentlemanly to do so anyway.

    You want to keep at it, go nuts. But the christians arn't going to save any souls here, and the atheists arn't going to show any christians that there are other beliefs and arguably better ways to look at the world. Only thing anyone might do is be the last one standing in an argument, which is just going to give you 10 minutes of feeling good about yourself... while everyone else shakes their head. Eh... just cue 'Arguing on a forum...' joke.
    But on the other hand there are people (e.g. I) who seriously like debating. For us, convincing the opposition tends to be a secondary goal, because we enjoy the debate itself more than simply winning it.

 

 
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79