Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11
    probe53 is offline Member Frequent Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    45

    Default

    hum... writing chinese is the WORST part of it for me...

    i have very little trouble speaking in mandarin...

    ...i know very little cantonese though...

    ex. (conversation with cantonese person)

    Me: "ley-ho"

    The other person: "blah blah blah" back at me

    Me: uh... byee! XD <---yes.. in english

    but it seems speaking japanese might be easier than speaking chinese since i feel it flows a bit like english or something.
    like a person above said, "Chinese is a very tonal language meaning how you pronounce the syallables affects what you say."

  2. #12
    adonai is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StealDragon View Post
    i dont wanna be a prick but why are you asking what language you want to learn. just think which one would be more useful in your life and go for it... i for one if possible would like to learn both. i spend way to much time in Chinatown suspicous that those guys are cursing me out in Cantonese or something.

    That's just the way Cantonese sounds, it's like the German of eastern languages, it just sounds so damn ugly (no offense meant to anyone who speaks German or Cantonese, it's just my personal opinion).

    I really need to learn Chinese though, I used to be able to read novels when I was 8 now I'm basically illiterate (though I can still understand what people say).
    Last edited by adonai; 01-13-2007 at 01:31 PM.

  3. #13
    PochaccoPaws is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    10

    Default

    chinese all the way! more people speak chinese, so you'll actually get to speak with other people~


  4. #14
    Hanul is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Playing go on a goban somewhere
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PochaccoPaws View Post
    chinese all the way! more people speak chinese, so you'll actually get to speak with other people~
    Thats only because they have like almost a third of the entire world population living in China...Though then again, we might have to learn Chinese for when they come and take over.

    Until one has given everything, one has given nothing.
    óGeorges Guynemer

  5. #15
    mystic_guard_sinoel is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 14th Moon
    Posts
    5,234

    Default

    For a minute I though Hanul was going to say neither and then suggest Corean.

  6. #16
    Hanul is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Playing go on a goban somewhere
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mystic_guard_sinoel View Post
    For a minute I though Hanul was going to say neither and then suggest Corean.
    Well you have to take into consideration that he wants to learn Chinese or Japanese, not Corean. If he wants to learn either one of them fine, I really don't care. Whatever his motives are, wether it's to buy cheap electronics in China or beome an otaku, I seriously do not care.

    Though I somewhat question why not Corean, my brain is at this moment a little fried to really follow-up that question.

    Until one has given everything, one has given nothing.
    óGeorges Guynemer

  7. #17
    MojoMunkeez is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    6,450

    Default

    It's really a no-brainer: Chinese.
    The only reason one would even think of learning Japanese is to watch anime or read manga, which is a very immature and inadequate reason.

    Chinese is spoken by a nearly a third of the world's population and with the rapid pace at which the Chinese economy is growing, it would only be beneficial to know the language.

    And also, there really is no "choice" on whether to learn Cantonese or Mandarin. First off, you would not have any resources or ways to learn Cantonese. And secondly, the only reason it seems that Cantonese is widely spoken is because the US only let people from that region of China emigrate here for a long time (as it was under British control). In reality, Cantonese isn't very widely spoken at all. And it sounds ugly, to boot.

    I'm currently (sort of) learning Corean, myself. Of course, it's because I'm Chinese and there are many parallels between the two languages and cultures.
    Having a Corean significant other doesn't hurt, either.



  8. #18
    Digital_Eon's Avatar
    Digital_Eon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kya~nada
    Posts
    17,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MojoMunkeez View Post
    It's really a no-brainer: Chinese.
    The only reason one would even think of learning Japanese is to watch anime or read manga, which is a very immature and inadequate reason.
    I beg to differ. Japan has the world's second-largest music market - and that's my reason. ^_^ Interviews, music, and a chance at being a popstar...
    ~Digital_Eon~




  9. #19
    Hanul is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Playing go on a goban somewhere
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Eon View Post
    I beg to differ. Japan has the world's second-largest music market - and that's my reason. ^_^ Interviews, music, and a chance at being a popstar...
    What about Corea and Hallyu? I mean cmon, its the Corean wave, though then again that wave seems to be weakening.

    Until one has given everything, one has given nothing.
    óGeorges Guynemer

  10. #20
    Digital_Eon's Avatar
    Digital_Eon is offline Super Moderator Community Builder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kya~nada
    Posts
    17,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hanul View Post
    What about Corea and Hallyu? I mean cmon, its the Corean wave, though then again that wave seems to be weakening.
    Uh... Japan still has a bigger market. I mean, why else would singers like BoA, Se7en, and Bi Rain leave Korea for the Japanese market, and eventually the American? Koreans have good music, but not as big a market (and Hyolee = Britney Spears wannabe - it's true!).
    ~Digital_Eon~




 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79