Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 92
  1. #11
    Tevesh is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    694

    Default

    Brasil? Fuck that.

    How often to you hear Canada mentioned in Anime? I've only known of three instances, ever. One was in Ghost in the Shell: SAC, so I guess that makes up for it.

  2. #12
    ghost305 is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Obscuri
    The fact is that they portray the Big Evil empire. I'm not going to deny, that at the very moment the US is the one that is seen as that way (and maybe because of the US politicians, that image, doesn't totally lacks of bases).

    But as I already said, if at any moment any other nation (or Union) becomes the most powerful one, then that will be targeted as the evil empire.

    Anyways, to the anime stuff. You're saying that they are Anti-American, because the have the Big Evil Empire (according to you, the US), and the weak power (according to you, Japan). But I see that as something like David and Goliath from the Bible. The little and weak one, against the big and powerful one.

    Besides, we haven't seen that kind of stuff in anime/manga only, but in American movies as well. Star Wars for an instance?
    Star Wars is a whole diffrent thing. I don't even know how that got into the argument. StarWars is sci-fi fantasy movie and it doesn't reflect on any current country nor race. But in the animes it is clearly visible. so i don't see how you can compare it to Star-wars.But I don't see how Japan can be mad about Nagasaki and HIroshima when they did Pearl Harbor. THe sanctions on Japan, though i don't understand them are favorable to us because that's one less country we have to worry about.

    @Tevesh
    Though Cadana is a super power, isn't it part of the CommonWealth under Queen Elizabeh II.? The headquarters(capital) of the Commonwealth is London,England.
    Last edited by ghost305; 09-29-2006 at 08:19 PM.

  3. #13
    darksoulzero is offline Senior Member Well Known
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Yeah, you're right, I think there does exist some semblance of "anti-americanism", to an extent; nontheless, I don't hate any person, object, animal, place, or thing, probably never could.
    (i do not know what it is about you that closes and opens; only something in me understands the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses) nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands.

  4. #14
    child_of_serenity's Avatar
    child_of_serenity is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the depths of a vast swamp...
    Posts
    2,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghost305
    Star Wars is a whole diffrent thing. I don't even know how that got into the argument. StarWars is sci-fi fantasy movie and it doesn't reflect on any current country nor race. But in the animes it is clearly visible. so i don't see how you can compare it to Star-wars.But I don't see how Japan can be mad about Nagasaki and HIroshima when they did Pearl Harbor. THe sanctions on Japan, though i don't understand them are favorable to us because that's one less country we have to worry about.

    @Tevesh
    Though Cadana is a super power, isn't it part of the CommonWealth under Queen Elizabeh II.? The headquarters(capital) of the Commonwealth is London,England.
    Star Wars totally relates so does Lord of the ring or any other fiction with a big evil super power.

  5. #15
    Jakko's Avatar
    Jakko is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, US
    Posts
    4,503

    Default

    Star Wars totally relates so does Lord of the ring or any other fiction with a big evil super power.
    Eh, no it doesn't.

    What he is saying, I believe, is that the anime and manga specifically point out the US as the evil super-power. Star Wars and LOTR do not make such a reference. Meaning, those are completely unrelated.

  6. #16
    Tevesh is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    694

    Default

    Ghost, what Century are you from?

  7. #17
    Tayuya is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Under a dead Ohio sky...
    Posts
    401

    Default

    It seems rational that the older generation in Japan would hold a grudge against us for nuking two of their cities. And it's only right to understand it.

    As for mangaka literally making Americans and America bad in their stories: I guess it depends on the writer's age and/or background as to how they view the US. It might be safe to say that the younger generation doesn't feel the same way as the older.

    Try asking your parents or grandparents their views on us bombing Japan and you may be surprised in the way they rationalize it.


    I guess the original question was whether or not everyone else notices the same thing the OP suggested. And I'll say yes. But does it matter? No.
    Watch some American sci-fi movies from the 50s and 60s, revel in the subtle nuances of DOOOOOM via the Red TERROR...


  8. #18
    kayangelus is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    doing your gf
    Posts
    1,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tayuya
    As for mangaka literally making Americans and America bad in their stories: I guess it depends on the writer's age and/or background as to how they view the US. It might be safe to say that the younger generation doesn't feel the same way as the older.
    Just had to point out the inaccuracy in this.
    Almost all Japanese people that live in Japan, especially the kids, hate all foreigners. Well, by all foreigners, I mean as in all Americans, since they don't really know of the existance of other people. So yeah, all generations hate the US.


  9. #19
    AKofC is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,680

    Default

    This topic is OLD news.

    The US is the hegemon of the world. Every other country that isn't the US secretly hates it.

  10. #20
    Tayuya is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Under a dead Ohio sky...
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kayangelus
    Just had to point out the inaccuracy in this.
    Almost all Japanese people that live in Japan, especially the kids, hate all foreigners. Well, by all foreigners, I mean as in all Americans, since they don't really know of the existance of other people. So yeah, all generations hate the US.
    Based on what I've heard from people who have visited, the general populous was polite and helpful.

    The people they met in bars and clubs were all there to mingle and have fun and didn't act rude or racist. My buddy even had a nice one night stand with a Japanese girl while he was there. /shrug


 

 
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162