Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: Jesus Camp

  1. #11
    Saizou is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    The worst thing about this is that nobody really seems to care. Why isn't there an massive uproar over what basically amounts to brainwashing children?

    Imagine the protests if someone would start, say, a Hitler camp for children somewhere. Why doesn't anyone care when christian extremists basically do the same?

  2. #12
    Jakko's Avatar
    Jakko is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, US
    Posts
    4,503

    Default

    You know, I have a "feeling" that a good bit of that clip was produced more from careful editing than from what actually occured. I have been to Christian camps before, and they are nothing like that, nor do I know any Christians who "brainwashed" their children(and, seeing as how I am a reformed Presbyterian, one of the more "extreme" versions of Christianity, if there exist such people, there is a good chance I would know them).

    The fact of the matter is, this film is obviously biased. It set out with a goal to make Christians look bad, and we all know how easy it is to manipulate film to serve someones purposes. That said, take such crap with a grain of salt. In my opinion, only those that already wish to believe such a thing would be swayed by it, most rational people would have doubts about it because of its obvious slant.

    P.S. - One other thing, this is directed to "certain" individuals:
    13. Don't be a retard. This forum is for people with different opinions to congregate and share their opinions. You are allowed to share your opinion IF your opinion doesn't infringe on the other people's opinions.

    Look, we all know you are free to share your opinion on a religion, however, lets keep the incendiary insults("religion sucks ass," "adults with imaginary friends are stupid," ect.) to a minimum, ok?
    Last edited by Jakko; 09-23-2006 at 06:43 AM.

  3. #13
    child_of_serenity's Avatar
    child_of_serenity is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the depths of a vast swamp...
    Posts
    2,321

    Default

    ;_; People say catholics are weird, but that was truely scary.

    Although, it does have an obvious slant. I have seen things like that happen at my own school. Trust me, it is something that is really happening. It does have a slant, but it isn't at all fiction. Alot of people believe those things, and believe things that way. I guess I'm the weird one because I have been working on becoming a jedi since I was 4.
    Last edited by child_of_serenity; 09-23-2006 at 06:45 AM.

  4. #14
    bamboozler is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    May the force be with you CoS.

    Yeah, not all Jesus camps are like that, I ve been to a few and they were actually pretty fun. Until they caught me cheating one day and told me I was going to hell unless I begged Jesus for forgiveness. I think I stopped going to church after that day.

    "Grapes and grapes!"

  5. #15
    Saizou is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakko
    You know, I have a "feeling" that a good bit of that clip was produced more from careful editing than from what actually occured. I have been to Christian camps before, and they are nothing like that, nor do I know any Christians who "brainwashed" their children(and, seeing as how I am a reformed Presbyterian, one of the more "extreme" versions of Christianity, if there exist such people, there is a good chance I would know them).
    Anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything. That [i]you[i/] have been to christian camps that were less extreme and the fact that you're not a raving lunatic personally doesn't mean that there are no extreme Jesus camps or christians who are raving lunatics.

    And yes, indoctrinating children in any dogma in the way depicted is pure brainwashing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakko
    The fact of the matter is, this film is obviously biased. It set out with a goal to make Christians look bad, and we all know how easy it is to manipulate film to serve someones purposes. That said, take such crap with a grain of salt. In my opinion, only those that already wish to believe such a thing would be swayed by it, most rational people would have doubts about it because of its obvious slant.
    I have read and heard influential christan leaders in the US say far more extreme things than what was depicted in the film. I am a very rational person, and I see no reason to doubt the film, because I know that even more extreme things have happened.

    Additionally, to make a counterpoint. What if the film isn't biased? Not to be mean or anything, but you do have a habit of rejecting out of hand anything that gives an negative impression of christianity. It seems to me as if it is you who has a certain bias in this matter.

  6. #16
    child_of_serenity's Avatar
    child_of_serenity is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the depths of a vast swamp...
    Posts
    2,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bamboozler
    May the force be with you CoS.

    Yeah, not all Jesus camps are like that, I ve been to a few and they were actually pretty fun. Until they caught me cheating one day and told me I was going to hell unless I begged Jesus for forgiveness. I think I stopped going to church after that day.
    Hey, you too bam I know you are a fellow jedi.

    They told me I was going to hell because I wanted to be a buddist for a week.

  7. #17
    cronik is offline Senior Member Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Haha, well, there's intolerance on every side. Religions just can't seem to coexist.

    I would think the ideal purpose of a religion is to set a moral code for its followers, but it's easy to pervert this purpose. A person ought to always be questioning his or her morality and actions, but religious doctrines tend to make their moral thinking rigid.
    Last edited by cronik; 09-23-2006 at 11:19 AM.

  8. #18
    rabidfuzzybunny is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bishiville
    Posts
    606

    Default

    If kids can't attend camp, in the near future they can take to the streets of NY for a little christian paramilitary action in the game "Left Behind: Eternal Forces". In multiplayer action, gamers can choose to fight on the side of the antichrist.

  9. #19
    DivineVTDragon is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Fremont, Ca
    Posts
    942

    Default

    Accept Jesus and win a Playstation 2!

    That clip was more funny than anything else.

  10. #20
    98abaile's Avatar
    98abaile is offline Senior Member Community Builder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    An Englishman in a shithole somewhere in Wales.
    Posts
    7,892

    Default


 

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79