What do you consider to be the 5 most important functions of government?
What do you think should be society's top 5 goals?
What do you think should be the government's top 5 economic policy goals?
I'm interested in what you have to say.
Oh god, and I've been whining about such light & joyful topics as eating spaghetti through the nose......I have what I wanted......killing animals, cutting tropical forests, theory of evolution vs bible, war in ___(pick the place), astronomy etc. etc. and now politics.... T_T
*starts to whip herself from feeling guilty*
Sorry Aikido, it's just too much.
Or maybe I'll start comming here on different time of a day ( and not night as now ) when I'll be actually mentally capable of responding to some serious issues ( not to mention that I have an allergy on my country's politics ).
.........just a personal digression.
Sorry, the subject is fine, it's just me. ><
1) Executive Branch
3) Supreme Court
4) Bill Clinton (does this even count?)
5) Voting, or should I say, lack of voting
1) Give Chuck Norris the humanitarian award of the century award.
2) Destroy Canada, eh?
3) Research a cheap source of energy, like hydrogen power
4) Raise more funds for education
5) Elect a new president quickly. Impeaching is fine too
1) Same as #4 in the goals overall
2) Pay off some piece of the debt
That's all I want to say for now.
@iewa: I completely understand. You certainly dont need to be compelled to respond to every thread. I read almost every thread here (when I'm around), but that doesnt mean I respond in all (or even half) of them. This is just a thread which I invite people to answer in part or in whole if they want to.
This is just stuff that I've been thinking about. I generally try to start thoughtful, provocative threads (and leave the amusing random ones to people like AK). I feel like thats something that I at least have some aptitude at.
@divine: thanks for responding. I know this is a difficult thing to respond to. I'll give my personal lists in a day or two, as well.
Government functions; I know there's a million I'm not thinking of, but offhand, here:Originally Posted by Aikido
1. Protecting it's citizens.
2. Ensuring their ability to live freely and in good health.
3. Enforcing rules that promote the safety of its citizens.
4. Encouraging a healthy lifestyle among its citizens.
5. Providing monetary relief to the poor and a properly distributed tax system.
Something like that.
1. Encouraging a healthy moralistic society.
2. Retaining a level of nationalism and solidarity that brings unity to the people.
3. Creating an accompanying ideology that encourages a lifestyle that retains essential freedoms while respecting the lives of others.
4. Being educated on local, national and global current events and effecting change via public initiatives and movements.
5. Being knowledgeable on History and drawing inferences from it that allow for better political participation.
1. Ensuring a stable economy for its citizens with stable currency with good market value as compared to other nations.
2. Creating an equal opportunity system in which it is possible for the people on the lowest end of the income spectrum to rise up by utilizing government aided education systems and housing.
3. Enforcing a system of taxation that encourages economic growth by preventing monopolization and encouraging small businesses.
4. Being a strong part of the global marketplace and using trade to increase the quality of life for its citizens.
5. Preventing corporate monetary strength from overpowering the democratic process and having too much influence.
Dear cousin choppitychop89, you were a good relative, though I hardly knew ye.
Of course not. Society couldn't exits without taxing the small man. I mean, where else is the people going to complain at?
"Nothing is certain but death and taxes." I agree good sir, I agree. I'll give 10 points to whoever knows who said that quote. Although, I'll tell you now, the points don't matter. They're like the "wonder" in a wonder bra.
There's no such thing as an ideal society anyway. Except a Utopia, which doesn't exist... yet. Oh wait, there was Atlantis, but that didn't exits either. I digress, but primal society is the best society.Originally Posted by Aikido