Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 55

Thread: Eternal life?

  1. #21
    erachima is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    At my computer.
    Posts
    2,020

    Default

    Not likely unless they use their spiritual power. Do you have a page reference for that one?

  2. #22
    Shamgi is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erachima
    Not likely unless they use their spiritual power. Do you have a page reference for that one?
    Hmm, maybe it was just filler, but it was the eps that featured Renji and Rukia as childern. It's 98 in the manga, but they don't say anything about either eating or drinking in that one. I don't have the time to scan the chapters for research at this point, I'll have to do it later.

    But yea, since nothing shows up in the manga, I could well be wrong.

  3. #23
    erachima is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    At my computer.
    Posts
    2,020

    Default

    Oh, when Rukia and Renji are stealing water? Rukia and Renji do have spiritual power, so of course they need to drink.

  4. #24
    Shamgi is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erachima
    Oh, when Rukia and Renji are stealing water? Rukia and Renji do have spiritual power, so of course they need to drink.
    Ok, I finally stuided and figured it out.

    End of the chapters, Renji and Rukia decideing to become Shinigami. three graves, three friends.

  5. #25
    mr_zoot is offline Senior Member Well Known
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    373

    Default

    It all is a bit confusing. The Quincy massacre explanation pretty much demonstrates in my opinion that souls go both ways from ss to earth and back. BUT... when a human dies and his soul goes to SS, he retains his appearance, memory, personality, (and maybe spirit potential) The spirits don't need to eat or drink, yet some of them still die... Why do people die in SS, is it such a crappy place that they were just victims of some stupid turf war? If people age in SS, do the people that show up as 80 yr olds die faster than those who show up as children? Can the residents of soul society actually have children, or do the noble clans just track the recent deaths of their relatives on Earth and go and get them when they die? Since we son't see any fetuses walking around in SS, can we assume that this is a subtle indication on Tite's views on abortion and whether or not an unborn child has a soul yet? questions questions questions.

  6. #26
    Shamgi is offline Senior Member Respected Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_zoot
    It all is a bit confusing. The Quincy massacre explanation pretty much demonstrates in my opinion that souls go both ways from ss to earth and back. BUT... when a human dies and his soul goes to SS, he retains his appearance, memory, personality, (and maybe spirit potential) The spirits don't need to eat or drink, yet some of them still die... Why do people die in SS, is it such a crappy place that they were just victims of some stupid turf war? If people age in SS, do the people that show up as 80 yr olds die faster than those who show up as children? Can the residents of soul society actually have children, or do the noble clans just track the recent deaths of their relatives on Earth and go and get them when they die? Since we son't see any fetuses walking around in SS, can we assume that this is a subtle indication on Tite's views on abortion and whether or not an unborn child has a soul yet? questions questions questions.
    Overthink the subject, and you just run into a wall. Tite more than likely never took any of that into consideration when he wrote the story.

  7. #27
    erachima is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    At my computer.
    Posts
    2,020

    Default

    Fetuses? Damn, you are overthinking this way too much. Maybe the dead unborn are the children who end up being born in Soul Soceity?

  8. #28
    Aradiel is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In your face!
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erachima
    Buddhist mythology says that you get 300 years before reincarnation anyway though.
    Erm, where did you read that?

    Fromwhat I've read, it's 40 days between death and reincarnation.
    Hence why we're on the 14th Dalai Llama - Buddhism is only 2500 years old.

    Also, how would a foetus walk anyway?

  9. #29
    erachima is offline Senior Member Always Around
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    At my computer.
    Posts
    2,020

    Default

    I got that bit of info from my Chinese Buddhist friends. Also, it says so at one of the Thai temples in Bangkok, as a part of the caption for this huge mural they have painted. It may vary based on the branch of Buddhism you follow or something similar.

    Did I say anything about a fetus walking? I meant after their soul ages to a post-birth point, then they are born in soul society. Whatever.

  10. #30
    Aradiel is offline Senior Member Long Time Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In your face!
    Posts
    650

    Default

    The foetus comment was in reply to
    Since we son't see any fetuses walking around in SS
    It may vary based on the branch of Buddhism you follow or something similar.
    Possibly - the statistic I got was from the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying. I haven't found any statistics in any other branches as of yet.

 

 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
vBulletin Skin by: ForumThemes.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79