Latest StopTazmo News [03/22/2013]
New Changes at StopTazmo
1. Guests are now limited to 100 downloads per day.
2. Members are now limited to 250 downloads per day.
3. Premium users have no restrictions.
We've had to make these changes as I've seen that there are individuals who download, and I kid you not, over 4,000 times per day. I'm sure these individuals use a download manager, but the problem is this limits the bandwidth that others have access to since we only have 100mbps lines to our servers. Even if you reach your download limit though, you can still read Manga online through our Manga reader without any kind of restrictions.
At this point we require $480/m to keep running and so far there have only been 4 donations this month (03/22/13), in previous months we would be around 20 donations even if they were small. We also receive subscription payments, but since people cancel each month, donations are what keeps us running. At this point (03/22/13) we have received $265 in funding this month. I cannot keep paying the bills alone so any help is appreciated.
Your Feedback Required: How can we get you to donate?
I figure I should hear it directly from your own mouths, if you are not registered please head to http://stoptazmo.com/downloads/contact_us.php, otherwise post here. What do we need to add/change/remove to get you to donate to keep us online?
Thoughts on Shutting StopTazmo Down
I have to admit that I've been strongly considering shutting StopTazmo down the past week and I'd like to let you know why. In the last year at least if my memory is correct, we have never broken even, every month I must transfer money from my credit cards to pay the bills. ST has been open since 2004 and for a long time we actually brought money in, I still remember the feeling of ordering pizza and having a big fat bank account, that ST has prevented those fond memories from returning for a long time and I am tired of eating ramen noodles.
Another thing that I think people fail to consider is the amount of time I spent on this site, every day I spent between 30 to 60m, so assuming that I spent an hour a day, 30 hours a month, at a wage of about a minimum wage of $8/h, I should be making 30 hours/month * $8/h = $240/m off this site, but instead this seems to be close to what I am investing. As I've gotten older I have many responsibilities and a great need to pay my own bills and I think that I am at a cross roads and I am not sure if it's worth continuing with keeping StopTazmo running. Not only that but for a great deal of time I made constant updates to our download scripts, even this past month I spent about 10 hours developing the API's due to us losing a merchant account to accept donations publicly and I just have a feeling that it's more efficient in the long run to watch TV than it is to invest in coding to build a better StopTazmo.
One reason I've begun restricting the number of downloads free and normal members have access to is because I am thinking that although we might get a few hundred thousand unique visitors every month, perhaps it would be better if we had only 100 visitors to ST that contributed towards the site rather than 200-400k unique visitors each month that donated nothing. I know that not all of you are rich, I'm in the same position but I know with our sheer amount of traffic we could have more than 4 single donations this month. I'd though like to thank our subscribed members for helping us though.
Possible Changes in the Future
1. We may begin to require you to login to an account to download, while making the Manga reader publicly viewable regardless of whether or not you are logged in. The reason for this, if I do go this route is because I really would like to encourage our visitors to become members, making it easier on them to join in on forum discussions. I know that many people come here only to download and I'm ok with that since that is what we are all about, I'd just like to see more community involvement. This is not set in stone but something I am seriously considering.
2. It might come to the point where we are forced to close down. Right now we are having serious issues collecting donations which I need to pay the servers early next month. We have the majority of our bills due within the first 5 days of the month and to be honest I am not sure if I intend to renew the servers. I just am not sure if it's worth continuing to run this site or not.
I know this is a long post but I'd like to ask for any feedback from anyone of you. If you are not registered, again you can head to http://stoptazmo.com/downloads/contact_us.php to send me a message.